Sewing Skills

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Sewing Skills

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 am I learned to sew in Home Ec and also from my mom. Years ago I made a lot of my clothes but I haven't done that in awhile. I'd like to use my sewing machine more to make home items - curtains, chair cushions, etc.

Like many of you, I am short (5') and have to hem almost everything. I feel that my hemming skills could use improvement because I can't make what mom calls a blind hem with very small stitches.

Floridacat, that's it! I know my mom taught me - when I was about 12 or so - how to do a blind hem but I can't for the life of me remember. If I don't pick it back up from YouTube, I will ask her to show me again. She can't see as well anymore but I'm sure between the two of us we can get me back on track - and it will make her happy.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

dlrcpa wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 am My mom taught me as an early teenager. Now I used the internet and books. Loved the "sewing with Nancy" PBS series, I think you can view them online, she was amazing. I was sad she passed away late last year.

Hand sewing (such as the hems) will require some practice to get nice even stitches. So I guess I would recommend you just start practicing on napkins and dish towels. Repairs and hems will save you a lot of money versus having someone else do them.

I like sewing my own clothing because I can get the style, fit, color as I choose instead of just what the store offers. For example if I want a lined straight navy skirt at knee length I can make exactly that. Quality fabric IS expensive. But I have been GIVEN fabric by many ladies when they find out I can sew. They are clearing their homes and will never use it. I got 5 garbage bags from my friend's mom, stuff she had stored in her attic for years. A lot of good wool. Using that, I can make items for the cost of a zipper, thread, buttons. I'm making wool pants now and paid $2 for the zipper (half price coupon at JoAnn) as my total cost. Not sure how much time you spend shopping for clothing. My sewing time for the pants will probably be 4-5 hours. I make blouses, skirts, light unfitted jackets, sleepwear, summer dresses. I still have several boxes of fabric to work my way through. Probably half my wardrobe is things that I sewed.
What a great blessing for you to receive all that fabric - how nice! I think I will use your suggestion and do some practicing - thanks.

I don't aspire to make my own clothes - that would not be enjoyable for me at all - but need to get the hemming skill back, etc. I will just stay envious of those of you who have that talent!

I rarely shop for clothing - when I do it is at the thrift store and I will spend a couple of hours browsing. That I do enjoy.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 am I learned to sew in Home Economics classes in school. That is something I think should be brought back (we have discussed this before).

Mind you after I left Toronto for the west in Grade 11 I did not look at a sewing machine for a number of years (probably 6).

I borrowed my MIL's when I was expecting our second child and Hubby was laid off from his job. I made a great many of my maturnity clothes and outfits for DS1.

We moved away for Hubby's new job and since I could not borrow a machine from my MIL I bought a fairly inexpensive machine from the Sears catalogue as a Birthday gift from Hubby.

Now as to what I have saved.....

It used to be that you could save a great deal sewing your own clothing. Times have changed however and while you can still save you have to watch for sales on quality fabrics in order to do so.

Sewing does save you when it comes to repairs as well. Our seamstress in town charges $12.00 to hem a pair of pants, $25.00 to replace a zipper, and those are the only costs that I have been told about. If you have a machine fixing seams and zippers can be done for much less than you would be charged.

I have heard Youtube has some wonderful sewing videos and I would use those.
Yikes, those prices! I get it though - it is hard to find someone around here who can do sewing and alterations and those who can are able to charge a premium.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My parents taught me starting when I was 4. My dad actually knew how to sew and bought me a toy sewing machine that would sew a straight stitch. Home Ec sewing class was kind of a disaster because the teacher herself did not really sew and was folliowing the text book.

Being able to sew kept me clothed in college, when I had no money to spare. Fabric was not expensive then and I made some skirts, dresses and blouses to get by.

I sewed some maternity clothes and most of DS's clothes when he was little. But as the cost of fabric went up and thrift stores improved, it was cheaper to alter clothes bought secondhand.

Many things can be altered with hand sewing, which is just something you have to practice on scraps. Cutting out a little blanket for the kittens from an old sweatshirt and hemming it would be a good start. Also, simple embroidery on tea towels is a good way to learn hand sewing.

You Tube is a huge resource. Sometimes the county extension service might offer sewing classes, and JoAnn fabric stores do. Independent sewing machine stores will sometimes offer them as well.

Don't forget putting out the word. A lot of older women have no one to pass their skills down to and might delight in teaching you.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

My late DM was an excellent sewer. She made most of her clothes and many of mine. I learned from watching her and took a couple of classes in high school. (Mom had to fight to get me into those classes.)
I don't think it's cost effective to make clothes, but I do make home things ... Sewed most if the valances in this house and a lightweight patio door curtain.
I do a lot of hand sewing ... Mending, hems.
Sheila, do ask your mom to show you the blind stitch; I think she'd be delighted.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I learned in home ec. My mom sewed but she would rather have the professionals teach us.

I used to make all my clothes when I was in school. I have a machine, but never use it. Just can't get back into it.

I have a cousin that does alterations. VERY reasonable. The COD takes his clothes to her and she will charge him 2 or 3 dollars to hem pants, but he gives her more.