What's your guilty (unfrugal) pleasure and can you find a frugal substitute?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

What's your guilty (unfrugal) pleasure and can you find a frugal substitute?

Post by chocolite »

So...my guilty pleasure is Coffee-Mate Sugar Free Italian Cream creamer. It is definitely NOT frugal, but I love the rich, creamy, sweet flavor of it. I wonder if anyone has a suggestion of something I can try that would be as yummy but not as expensive. Not really a fan of flavors like French Vanilla or Hazelnut.

And what about you? Do you have a guilty unfrugal pleasure for which someone in our group might be able to suggest a less expensive substitute? Now's your chance! :geek:
Patty

2dogs+someCats

Re: What's your guilty (unfrugal) pleasure and can you find a frugal substitute?

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Patty, what a great post to go along with my "year of no spending". You have got me thinking. :-)

First of all, I would go to their website and see if they offer coupons. If they have a contact form you can fill out, let them know you love the product and they may send you coupons - you might even ask if they do that. Some companies do, some don't.

One guilty pleasure that I have is candles. If I do purchase one, it is when I am at Walmart (and I'm almost never there)...their 3-wick candles have a whole lot of scent throw for the money, making them a good value in my opinion.

I look for (and buy) "new" candles at the thrift store sometimes. I also ask for candles if someone inquires what I want as a gift for birthday or Christmas. So far so good, I have quite a stash of candles to be used up and got two new ones for Christmas.

Another is craft supplies. I will normally pick them up cheap at dollar stores or thrift stores but for this year I will not be buying any at all - I am challenging myself to only do DIY projects and crafts using what I have on hand, what I can find in nature and what I can get for absolutely FREE.

I am going to have to think about this some more - I'm sure there are some other things I could find a less expensive substitute for...thinking...OUCH!

Dgflorida

Re: What's your guilty (unfrugal) pleasure and can you find a frugal substitute?

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree. This is a great post. My non frugal item is alcohol. I don't buy it often, but it is not frugal. And it is destructive to the low carb diet. I keep thinking that I will buy less of it this year, but so far I still end up purchasing a bottle of wine once a month or so.

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am
I agree. This is a great post. My non frugal item is alcohol. I don't buy it often, but it is not frugal. And it is destructive to the low carb diet. I keep thinking that I will buy less of it this year, but so far I still end up purchasing a bottle of wine once a month or so.
DG, I almost said alcohol but I haven't purchased any in a very long time. I have right now 3 bottles of wine - one I won at a conference, one was a bottle given to Ex and he doesn't drink it, one was a Christmas present from my boss.

Those should last me the whole year.

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Sheila, I am so impressed with your year of no spending. That is hard core, and if anyone can do it, it's you! That's a great idea about contacting the company for coupons. We do get coupons fairly regularly in our paper, online, and in the mail from Kroger, and those definitely help...especially when it's on sale. I stock up then, since they have such a long expiration date (I know they are full of preservatives, lol).

I like candles too, but luckily, I always get them as gifts, so I haven't bought one in a long time.
Patty

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am
My non frugal item is alcohol. I don't buy it often, but it is not frugal. And it is destructive to the low carb diet. I keep thinking that I will buy less of it this year, but so far I still end up purchasing a bottle of wine once a month or so.
I will occasionally buy a cheapie ($6-7) bottle of wine, but since I'm the only one to drink any, the bottle usually ends up going flat/old before I finish it. I'm still working on a bottle I opened on NYE. I thought some hard liquor was low carb, but maybe that's a lie I've told myself! Does vodka have a lot of carbs???? Now I have to go check google... :-)
Patty