Daily Check in Jan 10, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check in Jan 10, 2018

Post by frugalmom »

(((DGFlorida))) Sorry about your cat. Penney and whoever else(or their so) is feeling under the weather,hope for a quick recovery!

Yesterday scored some mangoes,cucumber,persimmons in big bags for 1.00 each. At the Asian store, they have a bin area where older produce gets sold for a 1.00/bag. I used to buy once or twice a month groceries and kept it for a month long but now only three of us at home we hardly eat that much so like my dh was upset we just threw a cabbage away bc it spoiled. Like that was the first time I saw cabbage spoil they use to stay forever in my fridge-trying to figure that out but somehow it got wet and I think that is what did it. I feel bad whenever food is wasted bc my motto is you finish those leftovers til it is done and I am not cooking til then well lately since only three of us,those leftovers can last a week-sheesh so I am going to have to adjust my cooking now bc I am used to cooking for a big family. So dh is suggesting we only buy for a week the most or a few days bc the Asian store or the .99 store is not that far away and we can just buy fresh since we are at home. But I did spend 32.00 yesterday on groceries for this week.

Even when the kids come home from college,often they go out with their friends so I still have leftover bc they weren't home to eat it! truthfully my dh and I are tired of eating and cooking-it is like we do not have any appetite for the most part-to me who cooks gourmet food all the time it is like whatever is easy and simple is the way to go! Dh and son are picky too these days and if you add the other girls to the mix when they come home they all want something different-sheesh and I refuse to cook different things for different people-you get what you get and don't have a fit! That was the motto at school when they were little and I use that motto too as they were growing up after hearing that-lol!

Oh got a free videographer and photographer for my son's wedding. Both are friends who major in filmmaking and they do wonderful short movies even using drones! We offered to pay but they want to do it for free! How awesome is that! Makeup artist is also a friend of my daughter,but we are paying her. So it is nice we have so may friends helping out!

It is a cold and dreary day today. My little one is going to get at ooth extraction bc one of his tooth is groing mid palate on the roof of the mouth-like I did not know it can even do that! Supposed to have two basketball practices today one for school and one for one team locally (tomorrow school game and another team in SF-we drive an hour and a half away during Rush hour in like the worst neighborhood Hunter's Point!),but Idk if he will be up to it today after the extraction since we are not supposed to eat anything two hours prior I think they are putting him under some kind of anesthesia so maybe he will be like loopy or something! We will see-he is the type he will still want to go!

Ok signing off,hope everyone has a good day!
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good afternoon all,

Up early and been really busy.
So far I have....fed chickens, watered and fresh bedding, torn the chimney apart, cleaned it real well, reassembled it and have the gigantic mess cleaned up.
Load of whites, soaked, ran thru and ready to rack to dry.
Thawed frozen chili, added to it and it is in the slow cooker getting mellow for supper tonight. I will make cornbread to go with it.
Ran the sweeper really well, and the floor cleaner.
Cleaned the kitchen after the chili fixing because as I have said before, I can really mess up a kitchen and I really do clean up as I work. :oops:
Changed out throw rugs they are being washed now.
Took a hot soaking bath to hopefully alleviate some of the inevitable soreness from the chimney cleaning. It involves lots of climbing and reaching in the stove pipe to scrape and brush. Bath was also needed because I REALLY get into my work :?
Next up I will make the pineapple upside down cake, I didn't get it done yesterday, I got sidetracked...again.
I plan on resting and reading this afternoon, still need to polish some furniture. But pretty sure it will wait, it has this long LOL

It is cold foggy and dreary again today. Weather for the upcoming weekend looks dicey.
Off to get some clothes racking done. and make the cake.
Have a great safe day all,
JCKitty
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am
I am going to make a meatless meal tonight, my second one in two weeks. I have made it before, it is a meatless nacho dish which my husband eats right up. I basically don't put any hamburger in it, just use black beans and salsa and some other items and he doesn't notice the missing meat. It is a recipe I found in a magazine so I tore the page off and have it stashed with my recipe book.

NoisyPorkchop, praying for your job to work out and I am trying to go meatless as much as possible. Would you mind sharing your Meatless Nacho Recipe with us. I love them.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Happy Anniversary Jackie!

I’m home from the dentist and some errands. The dentist appointment went well. Next time I have to have the bite-wing X-rays so $$.

Dlrcpa mentioned Better World Books as an option to donate mom’s old encyclopedia. I’m still not sure about that but they look like a good organization. I tried to check donation locations on their website back when Dlrcpa mentioned it but couldn’t get it to work. Well lo and behold I saw a donation box for them in the shopping center opposite the dentist. I don’t drive by there except when I go to the dentist so would not have seen it. I usually donate books to my library for their sale but sometimes they have too many books. So this will be a good option.

I dropped more items at Salvation Army. The last two times I dropped things off the parking lot for the store has been super crowded.

Then to mom’s house to do a few things. I am “finally” going to take down my Christmas tree so I picked up the bins from mom’s garage. When I return them with the tree I’m going to leave the bins in the garage instead of the utility building. Too heavy to lug the bins through the back yard.

I also stopped at Publix for a few sale items. Sale ends today.

After I take off the lights and take down the tree I’m going to relax.

Have a good evening.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon ...
In the 40s but raining and more to come ... then back to winter temps. House still feels cold, even with the thermostat set on 70.

Jackie, happy anniversary! Sorry about your mishap ... things like that happen to all of us.

Finished up a batch of paid work ... with interruptions ... We'll see what DH feels up to eating tonight ... He's gone through most of the yogurt I bought on markdown yesterday ...
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Happy anniversary, Jackie!

Patty, you really should request Liz as your PT person. There's a big difference in therapists: some of them may only be techs working under the general supervision of a licensed physical therapist, which is what I discovered when taking PT for my feet. Two-thirds of the time, they gave me a tech and they barely supervised what I was doing. I actually quit PT early because I felt it wasn't doing that much for me because of that.

DGFlorida, so sorry about your kitty. (((HUGS))) It really sounds like she has some kind of very low immune system, since she can't fight off mites or fungus. Poor little thing. Sometimes that sort of thing is genetic and there is nothing that can be done. That's what happened to our wonderful little corgi dog. We finally had him put to sleep because he had no quality of life any more, although he certainly would have lived a while longer, but there was no point in him suffering so much.

NoisyPorkchop, got fingers crossed for you, hon.

I am finally taking a hot tea break at work, after spending half the day looking for a new work computer for myself. The one they gave me was refurbished and has a failing hard drive. It's very unnerving to have the thing suddenly shut itself off.

Yesterday the little electric tea pot arrived, and I have it set up on my desk at work. It makes boiling water for tea in a couple of minutes: I love it! Previously I had to climb up the stairs and go across the building to the kitchen to heat water in a balky old microwave. Huge improvement now. :)
Mackie