Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

Post by Dgflorida »

I am considering buying a small separate freezer. Some of you have one. Are you happy with your choice? Did it meet your expectations? Would you make a different choice today?

Jackielou

Re: Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

Post by Jackielou »

Love my freezers. I have two. One for baking and veggies processed from our garden. The other is for meat.

I would make the same choice today as I did many years ago.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

no stand alone freezer here. I have two refrigerators and the freezers are full of food we don't eat, so it wouldn't work for us.

I just took out a bag of asparagus that has been in there for at least two years.

The intentions were good, but the humanity stepped in.

We don't eat a lot and I don't cook like I used to.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 am
I am considering buying a small separate freezer. Some of you have one. Are you happy with your choice? Did it meet your expectations? Would you make a different choice today?
We have one we've had since DD was an infant (she's 16), standing, it works well, things are frozen ;)

We used it, back then, for garden overage, to carry the produce glut into the winter. Right now it stores bargain veg (prepped for immediate use, like I chop the peppers before putting them in there) and gluten free products that are more economic to buy online.

I'd miss it if it were gone; would replace it if it died so, yeah, right decision.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I think the major thing for us is that even if there's a power outage, we're not going to experience the kind of $$ loss carnivores might experience with a fully-stocked freezer. At worse if all of it thawed we'd have a couple giant stir-fries, then we'd just refreeze all the GF stuff. You can't do that with meat.

If I were a carnivore, I might not have been as enamored with the thing when we lived further out in the country and lost power more often. Since being here we've lost power once for about 4 hours, nothing even thought of defrosting.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I have 1 chest freezer and 1 upright, they seem to stay packed all the time and I am a cook. I freeze everything, leftovers, fresh foods, pre made dinners.
I don't think I could be as organized or frugal with out them.
In my mind organized is more frugal.
The only thing that I can think of that doesn't get frozen is salad makings.
JCKitty

Added...IF we were to have a long power outage, I could always run the thawed stuff thru the canner. Better than wasting it.