I think I want a job - but not a big one

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

I think I want a job - but not a big one

Post by SandiSAHM »

I hear (read) that jobs are easyish to come by right now if you're moderately intelligent.

I'm moderately intelligent :lol: but not all that physically strong any more. I'm 52, and the world of my former employment has all but disappeared as industry left the central US for destinations abroad (I spec'd industrial equipment, most of it left the spots on manufacturing lines where I'd put it, LOL, and went to Mexico, part to China).

Changes in tech and a 15-year hiatus have, I'm sure, made me obsolete in terms of what I used to do, and I'm okay with that. I'd like to do something SIMPLE. I'm not bad with accounting in the lightweight sense, not bad with using any kind of computer system, sadly don't have much of a tolerance for stupidity so I'm probably not really a candidate for customer service work.

Ideas? Some quiet button-pushing thing in a not-service related spot?

I haven't raised the idea with my kids or DH yet. Not even 100% sure I shouldn't just find some home-based thing to do. I wonder if any of those out there are 'real.'
clemencia2us

Re: I think I want a job - but not a big one

Post by clemencia2us »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm I hear (read) that jobs are easyish to come by right now if you're moderately intelligent.

I'm moderately intelligent :lol: but not all that physically strong any more. I'm 52, and the world of my former employment has all but disappeared as industry left the central US for destinations abroad (I spec'd industrial equipment, most of it left the spots on manufacturing lines where I'd put it, LOL, and went to Mexico, part to China).

Changes in tech and a 15-year hiatus have, I'm sure, made me obsolete in terms of what I used to do, and I'm okay with that. I'd like to do something SIMPLE. I'm not bad with accounting in the lightweight sense, not bad with using any kind of computer system, sadly don't have much of a tolerance for stupidity so I'm probably not really a candidate for customer service work.

Ideas? Some quiet button-pushing thing in a not-service related spot?

I haven't raised the idea with my kids or DH yet. Not even 100% sure I shouldn't just find some home-based thing to do. I wonder if any of those out there are 'real.'
schools, city offices, church? Almost all are customer service type, but you might surprise yourself. I consider myself a grumpy person that almost hates people, but really I do great at customer service. It is all about putting on a game face. Think of it as helping the "stupid" ones.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Do you need the income, or are you just looking for something to do?

Volunteering can be very worthwhile.

Museums, libraries. They often have office-type volunteer jobs that are not "customer service". There's a very old movie theatre near me that is run by volunteers....you get to see the movies for free.

Our farmer's market always wants volunteers May-Oct, for the various programs. But that's a lot of people, and HOT in the summer.

And there's always the human-services type of volunteering.....food banks, nursing homes, meals on wheels, etc. They likely have jobs that are "back-office" type.

I'm not at all a church person, but there are a few churches near me that do A LOT of programs and events that are open to the general public, and they always ask for volunteers.

If you want to get paid, though, cashiering and such are the most abundant part-time jobs. However........my entire work life, 30 years, was restaurants, retail, and banking. And while I was VERY good at it, I look back on it, and now fully realize that IT WAS INSANE! lol HOW did I deal with all of that craziness for so long?

Check your newspaper not only for help wanted, but also notice what events are going on around town. That could point you to some volunteer jobs.
ohjodi
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I was a church treasurer for a couple years - it was easy, but most definitely not 'fun.' The only on-my-feet job I ever had was waiting tables in an ice cream parlor for a few months after HS graduation. It was a GI town, tips were great. If I have something to DO while on my feet, I'm fine. If it's just standing around waiting for something to happen, I'm doomed.

DH makes a point, though, which is that we're about to put the house up for sale, which should end in a lot of work involved in a move (or 2). Where we're going is farther out of the 'big city' here - that maybe I'd rather wait and see if there's something local to the little burg instead of having to drive any distance. Yup, he knows me.

DS has oral surgery next week, and I have some painting to do to 'neutralize' the look of the house... not I like I should be bored.

I'd like to make a couple hundred bucks a week after taxes; no big deal but enough that I can do a little with it. Don't need benefits, DH's company provides those. I think I'm going to see if there's anything real in the way of work from home gigs out there. Even if I need to acquire a more recent laptop and work from someone's platform, we'll have a room to dedicate to it, because as DH has reminded me, we totally disappear 2-3 weeks a year and whatever I end up doing, it has to be flexible.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I also have the urge for a little job. I have finished my traveling, having completed my bucket list. I think hubs is getting healthy which means fewer days in the doctor's office. And he needs less attention during the day. I have done my time as a volunteer. I have a wall of appreciation plaques. So I am interested in what you decide.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Volunteering is okay, but getting some cash in exchange for your services is wonderful.

When my first tiny little check was in my account, I was so excited.