Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

some ole, same ole here. We are having a carry-in lunch tomorrow at work. I am taking roast beef for sandwiches. Not cheap, but should be good. I got 2 roasts at Costco. I will cook them in my pressure cooker this morning and chill them and slice tonight.

Work from home day, so all meals from home.

Have a great day,
Maggie
dlrcpa

Re: Daily Check in Jan 17, 2018

Post by dlrcpa »

Thank goodness only got a dusting of snow. Schools on 2 hour delay so less traffic while I get myself to work. Leftovers for supper and I hope to finish my library book.
Stay warm.
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Well, we got snow here too. However our roads iced and I had to call in because DH and I couldn't make it up the road. Since I work for a hospital, they told me calling in would result in an automatic write up since hospital staff are required to be there... even if they are a secretary. So spending the day at home and hoping to get out tomorrow. After one write up, I cant afford another one.

Hoping you all stay warm!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good warm, but future cold morning,

Well, things did not go as planned yesterday. The news reporter called late and the man putting in the new door came early and the financial advisor called while the door was still being put in. The door just take 15 minutes? Ha. 2 hours. Well I survived. By the time the door guy left, it was too late to go shopping. An exhausting day.

Today is the last day before the arctic storm hits here. Tonight, the lowest temperatures of the season happens and record breaking most likely. Tomorrow, the bug guy early am. Friday, the permit inspector. Have to have a permit to replace a door. :x

Chatted up the door installer. We talked tools. :D As a result he left me a lot of excellent wood pieces and a lovely wood door he removed from the previous job. Frugal find. I will take my old wood door and make it into a potting stand. This excellent door will become a work bench in the shed. I will use the wood scraps to frame the inside door from the shelter room. And there is enough left to build my window shelves. I love to recycle and upcycle stuff. He does carpentry work on the side. I have wanted to convert my kitchen cabinets doors to glass inserts and based on his good job on the door frame, he may be the one to do it. I got his number.

I thought I bought a steel door. That was on my original quote. But it became a fiberglass door on the final document. The door document was 10 pages long and had to be modified due to state rules. So I missed that change. Well, what is done is done. The price was about the same. I successfully swapped out the knobs from the shed. So frugal there. However, the door frame plates are too big for the steel door wood frame. I got it shut, but it will need to be repaired. Today though will be getting everything away from the house for the bug guy and getting the plants protected for tonight's winter blast. Wrap or cover pipes too. Going to be a long day. Turkey breast in the slow cooker tonight. Yum.

Neighbor is having her old fence replaced today. I am glad I didn't go halves with her. She tried to blame me for her fence falling down in the hurricane. Just don't trust her. This way, none of my business. There are some nice 4x4, but just not up to the effort today. I will chat the workers up and see what I can get later if they are still around.

Well, time to get going on the day. Kitty is getting better every day. I hope the severe cold doesn't set her back. Well, stay warm everyone. Stay safe.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I am really beginning to feel better. Yesterday I did a fair amount some of which I had not planned. I did one load of wash it is already put away. The last few days while I was not feeling well I just left it in the basket. Clean was more important then away at the time.

I finished loading and set off the dishwasher. Just after it went into the drying cycle I discovered it was leaking. I mopped it up, I washed the rest of my the yesterday dishes by hand.

I will call it into the office when they open. They were closed yesterday because of the ice.

Today I will read and knit. I have been going back and forth between a shawl and my daughter’s Birthday present.

I also would like to dig out my sweater and see if I can finish it.

Penny
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

snowangel729 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 am Well, we got snow here too. However our roads iced and I had to call in because DH and I couldn't make it up the road. Since I work for a hospital, they told me calling in would result in an automatic write up since hospital staff are required to be there... even if they are a secretary. So spending the day at home and hoping to get out tomorrow. After one write up, I cant afford another one.

Hoping you all stay warm!
That sounds like the schools in my province, however, since we never shut down here in my city (parents always seem to find a way to get their children to school) we just get there even if we have to walk (I have met a taxi at the corner of our street and a busier road a few times).

Seems like safety for others is not on the books for anyone.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/