Latest school shooting in Florida

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Latest school shooting in Florida

Post by SandiSAHM »

OH! The best of limiting assault weapons - for the manufacturers to stop making them, at least to stop making the civilian style. For the makers of the ammunition to stop making that for civilian distribution, too. The market for existing guns and ammunition (plus the stuff that would get on the market from military surplus and skimming, that would have to be stopped) would $$$$kyrocket, thereby eventually keeping the stuff out of the reach of many.

Sometimes when the politicians, etc., can't or won't do something, the logical thing is to go around them to the very root of a problem and hold it accountable. Perhaps every single person affected by injury or death of a person by an AR15 should sue Colt.

Would anything change? Meh. Maybe for Colt.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 am OH! The best of limiting assault weapons - for the manufacturers to stop making them, at least to stop making the civilian style. For the makers of the ammunition to stop making that for civilian distribution, too. The market for existing guns and ammunition (plus the stuff that would get on the market from military surplus and skimming, that would have to be stopped) would $$$$kyrocket, thereby eventually keeping the stuff out of the reach of many.

Sometimes when the politicians, etc., can't or won't do something, the logical thing is to go around them to the very root of a problem and hold it accountable. Perhaps every single person affected by injury or death of a person by an AR15 should sue Colt.

Would anything change? Meh. Maybe for Colt.
You are onto something here, Sandi. Here's what I consider a very creative approach to banning assault rifles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/busi ... sales.html

And last night I read on CNBC's website that BofA is going to "talk" with their gun maker clients to see what can be done.

Actually I have very little hope for the U.S. It's too late. Twenty odd years ago the UK did dramatically reduce the number of guns after the horrific Dunblane, Scotland school massacre. But I don't know how they did it. It's funny to me the emphasis right now on schools. What about theatres, nightclubs, even grocery stores and hospitals. No one answered your question as to why someone needs an assault rifle.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Interesting that you brought up Israel.. Israel's impressive school security is there because of the threat of terrorism. There's many layers of security- not just armed guards at the gates. It includes intelligence gathering and special police task forces that go into action to back up the armed guards at the gates. Only a few percent of the population is armed and the gun policy there is much more restrictive. Gun owners have to renew their licensing every few years.

The school shooting issue is not as routine in other countries as it is here. The US has already had 18 gun incidents at its schools starting from the start of this year!

I think we all agree there was outrageous failure in the agencies to act in the FL shooting. But I still believe we are too lax in our gun policies here.

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am I am glad to see sensible questions being asked. I have asked them as well. I am not comfortable with arming teachers unless they want to be armed. Some do. Some don't. Apparently, Israel has a successful model of school safety that we can investigate if we want solution and not just hysterics. Switzerland is an armed country, yet doesn't have our problems apparently. And many unarmed countries have regular mass murders, so the guns are not the problem. Something else is. China doesn't have gun murders so much, but slashing murder school children is a common problem. Bombing schools is common as well. This young man in Florida begged for help and the various agencies did nothing. Absolutely Nothing.The safeguards failed. The assigned deputies were cowards. There is a lot wrong there. Hopefully, cooler heads can prevail and some fixes can be found. But yelling gun control is a waste of time given the general incompetency of all the agencies. Until they are fixed, the rest is a joke. Calling politicians names will not create dialogue or solutions. It is time for people to begin acting like adults. And start using the intelligence supposedly they have.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 am
Absurd, isn't it. Bottom line... MORE GUNS, is the only thing politicians and proponents can come up with. I simply could not live around gun-toting people. That sort of thing IMO went out in the 1800's.
[/quote]

It's interesting the variant in comfort level. I see people open-carrying all the time (not LOTS of them, maybe 2 a month, conceal carry is far more common) and it doesn't bug me a bit.

Thusfar to the best of my knowledge the wide swaths of destruction have not been carried out by adults, many of whom are or used to be cops or MPs, who are trained, licensed, and comfortable being armed.

Now that open-carry of rifles and assault weapons? That's overboard, unless you're going to get ammo to go hunting and your vehicle-is open sided so it's safer to have it with you than potentially let some nut steal it, leave the big stuff at home.

I had a guy come out to install something outside the house once who was open carrying a pistol, given what he does for a living I asked what he had run into that had driven that decision. Turned out he'd had a leg mauled by a dog that was loose in a client's neighborhood and decided that wasn't going to happen again. Nasty scars, poor guy.

In his case, it made sense. An AR15, though, would still not make sense.
[/quote]I think the law should remain open in the United States, just as it is now, for such weapons as the AR15 and anything else common folk can get their hands on.

I believe when the people of America truly (and I do mean truly) admit to themselves that guns have gotten out of hand, maybe then change will happen, but until such a time I believe gun violence will continue to thrive. I also think the likes of hand-grenades, rocket launchers, and even army tanks should be within the grasp of common folk for ready use.

Looking in from the outside, the people of America are seeing the ill-effects of allowing everyone and anyone the right to carry.

I see absolutely no difference in someone carrying a handgun, vs a machine gun, vs an AR15, vs, vs, vs. If it fires bullets, then it should be legal to own and carry in America. No restrictions.

As for the current situation, I don't see any sign that the people of America want true, honest-to-goodness Gun-Control. Everyone still wants to own, pack, conceal, and that tells me they'll be no change now, in the future, or ever.

Lastly, the dog story epitomizes everything I know about why people in America pack and carry guns. To kill. The only reason anyone packs a gun is to kill, otherwise people would leave their guns at home where they belong.

Pretty hard for me to find a bone in my body that feels for America and it's out of control gun violence that continues to spiral out of control.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Heloise wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:12 pm
SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 am
Absurd, isn't it. Bottom line... MORE GUNS, is the only thing politicians and proponents can come up with. I simply could not live around gun-toting people. That sort of thing IMO went out in the 1800's.
It's interesting the variant in comfort level. I see people open-carrying all the time (not LOTS of them, maybe 2 a month, conceal carry is far more common) and it doesn't bug me a bit.

Thusfar to the best of my knowledge the wide swaths of destruction have not been carried out by adults, many of whom are or used to be cops or MPs, who are trained, licensed, and comfortable being armed.

Now that open-carry of rifles and assault weapons? That's overboard, unless you're going to get ammo to go hunting and your vehicle-is open sided so it's safer to have it with you than potentially let some nut steal it, leave the big stuff at home.

I had a guy come out to install something outside the house once who was open carrying a pistol, given what he does for a living I asked what he had run into that had driven that decision. Turned out he'd had a leg mauled by a dog that was loose in a client's neighborhood and decided that wasn't going to happen again. Nasty scars, poor guy.

In his case, it made sense. An AR15, though, would still not make sense.
[/quote]I think the law should remain open in the United States, just as it is now, for such weapons as the AR15 and anything else common folk can get their hands on.

I believe when the people of America truly (and I do mean truly) admit to themselves that guns have gotten out of hand, maybe then change will happen, but until such a time I believe gun violence will continue to thrive. I also think the likes of hand-grenades, rocket launchers, and even army tanks should be within the grasp of common folk for ready use.

Looking in from the outside, the people of America are seeing the ill-effects of allowing everyone and anyone the right to carry.

I see absolutely no difference in someone carrying a handgun, vs a machine gun, vs an AR15, vs, vs, vs. If it fires bullets, then it should be legal to own and carry in America. No restrictions.

As for the current situation, I don't see any sign that the people of America want true, honest-to-goodness Gun-Control. Everyone still wants to own, pack, conceal, and that tells me they'll be no change now, in the future, or ever.

Lastly, the dog story epitomizes everything I know about why people in America pack and carry guns. To kill. The only reason anyone packs a gun is to kill, otherwise people would leave their guns at home where they belong.

Pretty hard for me to find a bone in my body that feels for America and it's out of control gun violence that continues to spiral out of control.
[/quote]

Wow Heloise.......just wow.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

"As for the current situation, I don't see any sign that the people of America want true, honest-to-goodness Gun-Control. Everyone still wants to own, pack, conceal, and that tells me they'll be no change now, in the future, or ever."

Everyone wants to do that? You base that on what Heloise? Do you know that recent studies by Harvard estimate 70% of the US citizens don't own guns and that 3% of the population owns slightly more than half the guns in the US?

"Pretty hard for me to find a bone in my body that feels for America and it's out of control gun violence that continues to spiral out of control."

You can't work up any empathy for the majority of Americans who don't own guns and are fighting for change? You can find a bone in your body that sympathizes with innocent victims that are shot and their families torn with grief for the rest of their lives? I know you are likely upset with the gun violence. Many of us are. But I don't think your self righteous, judgment condemnations add any value to this conversation. Maybe you did not mean to sound that way -but if you did, shame on you.