Daily Check in Feb 21, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
NoisyPorkchop

Re: Daily Check in Feb 21, 2018

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday was supposed to be a big-deal snow day here in my area as the weather reports said we were going to get up to 3 inches here on the valley floor. I ran out early and did all my grocery shopping and errand running and there were flurries of snow so I really wanted to be prepared. The flurries stopped and I waited...and waited and realized by the afternoon the whole snow scare was nothing but a bunch of nothing! I at least thought for sure it would snow during the night but nope! Not a speck of snow anywhere. It looks like it snowed more up north in the Portland area but no flakes here where I live. Whatever.

Hubby and I did some driving out of town yesterday afternoon to go pick up a freshly processed lamb that he needed for a big Jeep event that is going on this weekend so I figured while we were out of the house for a few hours I would put a small pork roast to cook in my crock-pot. As fate would have it by the time we drove to the ranch to pick up the lamb and then drive it to his buddy's house to drop it off so he could get it chilled back down, we were both starving and ended up going out for pizza :lol: . Anyway, after I got home I was able to at least get the roast out of my crock-pot and shred it all up and get it in a container and tucked in the fridge. At least I don't have to work as hard to prep for dinner tonight as all I have to make now is the gravy and biscuits and salad and a side veggie.

I really don't have too many plans for today after all the running around I did yesterday. I do want to stop at the local Safeway and pick up some loss leaders they have but, other than that, I am going to lay low. I mentioned to Hubby yesterday that I have been stocking up the fridge, freezer and pantry for my upcoming surgery next month. I told him I am not planning on doing any cooking while I am down and that I am leaving the contents of the kitchen up to him to figure out what to make. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh, ok" like it was going to be no big deal. I give him about three days into having to come home after work and make dinner before he becomes flustered, lol!! I have been coming home and cooking dinner the whole time he and I have been together, I have menu plans, and plan ahead for the next day's meal so it looks like it is No Big Deal. I think my Hubby will not menu plan, remember to pull items out of the freezer the night before, and will probably come home and stare into the freezer and fridge and pantry and try to figure out what to make each night. We shall see! May give him a fresh perspective, lol!

Anyway, I am eating some leftover pizza for breakfast ;) and am thinking about getting moving for the day. Going to get those loss leaders and catch up on updating my budget ledger and do whatever else crosses my path during the course of my day. I hope all of you have a frugal, wonderful day!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I see my regular dentist to see about the flipper. The appointment is at 11 am. I am being picked up at about 10:15. I do have several concerns. Mostly because the roof of my mount has been so sore lately. I don’t want to spend the money and find I can’t wear it.

The last few nights I have been sleeping much better.

Tomorrow I have another Dr’s appointment That one is a very early one. 8:10 am. I am being picked up at 7:15 am. I am not sure what time I will get home. As I usually have to wait about an hour for my ride home.

I have managed to misplace my power adaptor for my iPhone. I have an old one I used that last night. For some reason I seem to lose the little iPhone power adaptor cube. Maybe it is because they are so small, and the cord is detachable.

Other then these 2 medical appointments I have a quiet few days. I made reservations to go to my daughter’s for her Birthday. She will bring me home the next day. They have decided on Olive Garden.

Penny
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Jackielou » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Tossed and turned a bit around three an five this morning, but fell back asleep after each bout for an hour or so. I think I managed about 6 hours of total sleep.

My grocery list is made up and we will be heading out the door later this morning. I hope I do not end up with much extra in my cart this time. We also need to pay of a bill for the fixing of the water heater and make a deposit of a refund on the storage area. I should be nice and tired by the time we get back.

Frugal happenings here today are the usual. I am going to make what hopefully is a big batch of cheesy cauliflower soup and am wondering if the excess can be frozen?

While I can't really knit right now I decided to pick up my cork knitter (AKA spool knitter) and give that a try. While things are not as tight as I wouid like it is working quite well and is enabling me to use up some tiny balls of sock yarn. I may get a hot pad or two out of this.

Felt bad for Hubby last night he had to cut up my pork chop at supper. Or perhaps I am feeling sorry for myself as I am feeling pretty down about this whole thing.

As you all can gather soup is on the menu for tonight and I think I will make or buy a hearty crusty bread to go with.

Today I am grateful that the days are getting longer and I can start planning my flowers once again.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
Jackie I found that the Wilton cookie lifter has a good edge on it. I have more then once used it to cut food when I could only use one hand. I don't know about meat but it does cut sandwiches and other semi soft foods.

Penny
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Crazy 70 degrees here today! I will be chopping ice all day so the water has somewhere to go.
What a beautiful sunny day...:)
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Raining cats and dogs here and weather people say we will get up to 5" tonight. Our river is overflowing now, but hopefully they can control it at the dam upstream. I have a 3:00 appointment so I can't help but get out in it.

My dermatologist had a cancellation and they called me this morning to see if I wanted it, I wa scheduled later in March for a small spot I had on my right leg. It was Petechiae, nothing serious and non-malignant so it was frozen off. I'm petrified of cancer of any kind and wanted to make sure that it wasn't cancerous. While there I talked with her about skin care and I am going to try a regimen she has developed for her patients. It's not any more expensive than this over the counter stuff and with a little retinol maybe I can eliminate more winkles happening. I'm not really vain, but like to look as good as I can. I know she's just trying to sell her services, but she was very complimentary of how well I was aging. She thought I had been doing a good job of caring for my skin overall.

Just got a call from Mr. B and he's not feeling well at all. He's gone to the walk-in-clinic as he thinks he is coming down with the flu. I almost got the feeling that he thought I might have given him the bug. LOL He wanted to know how I felt and I told him, "I feel great". I am not sure, but I think he's a little bit of a hypochondriac. He seems to go to the Dr. at a drop of the hat. I shouldn't be judging, but I have to really be sick to make an appointment and I think he goes if he has a hangnail.

Don't know if any of you who knit have made any of the little scrubbies using the Scrubby Yarn, but I am really enjoying mine. It cleans well and drys so quickly. I highly recommend. I need to get myself on the road again so everyone have a wonderful day.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

Dh and I went to the free curling offered by the 55 plus centre. It was dh's first time ever curling. It is such a friendly group with volunteer instructors. I feel very lucky to live in a city which provides so many low cost and free recreational activities. Unfortunately a woman took a very bad fall - falling backwards and knocking her head very hard on the ice. I heard an awful thud! Because I had a cell phone, I ended up being the one who called an ambulance as she was laying on the ice, dazed. She was unable to get up independently and it took her a very long time. Better to be safe than sorry as I certainly suspect a concussion. She was pretty confused and feeling nauseous afterwards.

This afternoon I went to Metro and used their coffee grinder. I had purchased the coffee before Christmas when it was on sale. I picked up a few other grocery items as I had a $20 gift voucher and then went to Dollarama to get some photo frames for some photos I will be mailing to my step mother.

Dinner tonight will be leftover pork roast for dh and dd, purple cabbage "steaks", asparagus, chopped salad and brown rice. Dessert will just be fruit as dh and I indulged in some pie at lunch time after the curling. It does give you an appetite!

Have a good evening everyone!
Creative