Wonderful New book to Read

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Wonderful New book to Read

Post by jckitty »

Just wanted to alert those of you that may be interested in a wonderful new book to read. It is non-fiction, history of the Great Depression and a treatise on immigration and assimilation of immigrants. I found it to be very involving, heartbreaking and then uplifting.
The basic synopsis is: During the depression, the authors grandfather, a Jewish immigrant who has made it well... offers to help people in his hometown of Canton, Ohio with money if they send him letters explaining their circumstances. He sent them 5.00, in todays money about 50.00.

The letters are in the book, and give such a picture of the times.
Interwoven is the story of his grandfathers past as an immigrant and the story is just amazing. Also timely,

The Name of the book: A Secret Gift written by Ted Gup.

I really loved this book, hope you do also.
JCKitty

dlrcpa

Re: Wonderful New book to Read

Post by dlrcpa »

Thanks JCK. I remember reading a review of this book in the paper also. The library I pass by to/from work has it on CD so I will stop in the next few days and get it.

RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Thanks for the recommendation. Just put a hold on it at the library.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Bummer! Our library doesn't have that book but I am going to suggest they get it.

Creative

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

jckitty, thanks for the recommendation. I just looked it up and it sounds wonderful. It has gone on my "to read" list. :-)
Patty