Daily Check in April 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in April 17, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

I have my breakfast and lunch packed for the day. So I am ready to head off to work.

Not much new to report. As Floridacat mentioned, my local newspaper won a Pulitzer. They are pretty proud. They have had many cuts in the past 5 years and often I find the coverage bland, but it was a very good series on the opioid crisis. My hometown, just 50 miles North is Montgomery County, which has been in the news as the hardest hit area for Heroin OD deaths. And I do subscribe to the newspaper.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in April 17, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good chilly Florida morning all,

It got down to 46F!! Wintertime temperatures. The house hung in there at 70F, so no heat and no cost. Hooray. I have a new kitchen faucet. Hooray. Hubs liked the old one because it was a single handle and he thought he needed a single handle. But I was the one using it 99% of the time. I did not like it. The new one has a high clearance, so I won't have to struggle washing the crock pot or large soup pots. It was $20 cheaper on Amazon than in the store. Same model. Frugal buy. :) And so pretty.

Yesterday, after I got my new faucet, I did dishes in the sink, a lot had accumulated. I had done some in bathtub, but it was hard on my back and it really didn't work well. The kitchen looks much clearer. Then I processed some 99c/lb chicken breasts. Skinned, deboned and cooked. We had a split fillet for dinner and the rest were cooked to add to hub's lunch for protein. I chopped those and froze them in pint containers. Frugal and healthy.

We also got what we believe will be the final estate inheritance check in the mail. I will get it to the bank within a few days. We also got a returned Christmas card for my mother-in law. I hid it from hubs. No reason to remind him. I called my brother's wife(widow) to see how she is doing in the weather. She lives in Ohio. She is still discovering that she has too much stuff. She had to move from an almost 3000 ft home to a 1000 ft trailer. And she had enjoyed filling her old home with stuff. And parting with the stuff has been hard. But she is now realizing it is junk.(It was junk when she bought most of it, but she loved spending money they didn't have.) So I listened to her describe living with her junk. :roll:

Next week is hubs birthday. He can't have the traditional treats, but he said he would really like sugar free black cherry jello with whipped cream. So I will buy some mix when I shop this week. 2 of our sons will be here and the grandbabies. We will all go out to dinner and hubs will have steak. He looked online at the prices and is a little nervous about spending so much money. I didn't think he would be around to celebrate this birthday, so I think the money is well spent.

Today, I should get my new flowers transplanted into larger pots that I can sit in the ground. There is a debate among the garden group as to whether these can handle full Florida sun or not. By planting them in pots, I can easily move them if they look stressed. I don't like buying plants. There is always a risk of introducing disease or insects into the garden. But I didn't grow enough from seed this winter to do the entire gardens. I have my planting table now(built it from our old front door and donated barrels) and I will be building a winter hot house most likely this year, so I hope next year will be less expensive.

Hubs is still able to shuffle around the house on day 5 without pain medication. So it looks like he will be ok. But no walks.

Today, I am grateful for the wonderful appliances we have that makes our lives so much easier. Have a good day everyone. Be safe and warm.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Woke to sunshine, still cold but at least it is sunny.

I have stuff done this morning, still need to do floors but that will wait till I get back from the feed store. I have a couple of stops to make in town so have my errands all mapped out.

Steak for supper tonight so I need to chop some salad later, sure wish we could get some good tomatoes, but not yet.

I had to take 1/2 of a tylenal PM last night to get to sleep, they make me hard to wake up in the mornings but it couldn't be helped.

I have some chores to complete this afternoon so need to get this town visit over with.
Have a great, safe and appreciative day all,
JCKitty
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have an appointment with the PA to see about the pain in my left wrist.

I will be taking a taxi to get there. The office is in Walking distance, I have walked it more then once. If I walk it will be on the way home.

Yesterday I bought the last of what I will need to bake the brownies with my grandson. I had the brownie ingredients I didn’t have the fixing for the desert I want to make with them. I have them now. He will be coming over a week from Friday. He has a school holiday then.

More after I have seen the PA at my Dr’s.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Nice bright sunny morning. It is cool but will get up to a scorching 85 degrees! That is about my limit on high temps. Not looking forward to summer at all. Blech.

Slept well without the help of Benadryl. I ran out. Will go buy some today. I had a dream that I took some - so maybe that helped :mrgreen: ?

I'll probably go to the doctor to check on this itching. But I've run into others that have experienced the same thing. Or maybe it is just an allergen that has flared up in my old age. I've always been prone to getting itchy when i'm around cut grass. Even my tomato plants would tend to give me itchy welts. So maybe with my dogs running all over the yard and then come plant their bodies on me - there you go.

I am feeling better overall - maybe due to the sunny weather or my new thyroid meds?

Hope all have a great day
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning.. We have sun and it is going to go up to 62 F.. Yesterday I noticed that my peach trees were almost in full bloom, I hope the freeze we had yesterday and today will not harm the peach crop. Hopefully we have turned the corner on the "winter weather."It is Spring so get on with it Mother Nature..lol.

Not much planned for today other than making my chicken and rice soup. I thawed out all of the containers that had chicken broth in them and will throw in a big chicken thigh that I bought yesterday at Save a Lot. The rest of the ingredients come from my emergency pantry ie dehydrated celery, onion, and carrots. Also a bay leaf from my bay laurel tree in the breakfast room. It started off as two twigs with a couple of leaves and it now about 2 feet tall. I will be using rice from the freezer to make chicken and rice soup.
Have a great day.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama