Daily Check In July 16, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Daily Check In July 16, 2018

Post by colonialgirl »

FCL - it most certainly is.

Hi all - nothing new cooking around here. Still feeling poorly and accomplishing very little. Have been working on my sampler. Today I hope to make my annual fruit salad. Generally only once in the summer are all the ingredients fresh enough and affordable enough to make it. We look forward to it each year. Dinner is going to be spaghetti.

Hubs is working on an end table. I bought a used Ethan Allen table very reasonably. He has sanded down the top for refinishing and I am having him paint the legs and apron a satin black. It will go next to my chair so I am excited to get that done. The difference between older quality furniture and the crap they sell today is absolutely unbelievable. My friend and neighbor is building a new home. They have a lot of money and it is a spectacular house - not my taste but incredibly lovely (and costly) She is going with cheap furniture that looks good. She said she is no longer going to buy "good furniture" but will buy these things that look great and are put together cheaply, then when they wear out in 2-3 years, she can get new again. I don't understand that thinking. I think I am outliving my time in the world sometimes.

Have a great day all.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 pm It is a dark, dark day. Heaven help us.
I sent you a private message Florida,
Trees
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good after noon all

Slept okay. Had a meeting this morning so had to postpone my laundry time

Meeting was a little chaotic. I swear grown-ups have no business telling kids what to do when they can't control themselves either - :mrgreen: . No organizational skills at all. So I decided that I will have to do something about it. I'm going to put together a binder that we will reference whenever we have an event/fundraiser. Put the details in there and update yearly. What we did in the air force. I wonder if these former educators didn't have this type of system.

Then went to do my laundry. Then went to the big store cuz the COD wanted a roasted chicken. More chaos. I hadn't been there in months. Sure they have a lot of stuff but the people/customers move so slow and don't get out of the way.

Driving back to my sleepy little town where I had to stop at our local store to get something the BIG store didn't carry. What a quiet oasis.

Now to tend to the laundry

Have a great afternoon.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

colonialgirl wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:27 pm She said she is no longer going to buy "good furniture" but will buy these things that look great and are put together cheaply, then when they wear out in 2-3 years, she can get new again. I don't understand that thinking. I think I am outliving my time in the world sometimes.
Wow, that's incredibly wasteful, and expensive.

A few weeks ago my sister wanted to buy this awful new chiffarobe/dresser for $200 (but it was $700!). Really cheaply made, and pretty small IMO, and she wanted it to put her china in it. ?? You wouldn't even be able to SEE any of the china, and it wouldn't all fit, anyway. She was pouty because her husband and I both said we thought it wasn't a great idea. I told her to wait and look around.......because last year she saw a DIY idea to repaint an old china cabinet and swore that's what she wanted.

Well, one week later, she found at a yard sale a whole china cabinet with a hutch and dry sink, AND a dining set with four chairs.....for $50! She was all excited and bought it, and I congratulated her..........and she said, yeah, but I still have to spend money on paint, humph.
ohjodi
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Update- dh's appointment took about 2 and a half hours so I was glad I packed ourselves a bagged lunch and plenty of reading material. I think we were the only ones who thought ahead enough to bring a lunch, but the coffee shop beside the clinic (right inside the hospital) sure was busy! Lots of other patients waiting ended up buying their lunch. His appointment was 11:45. The doctor was pleased about his mobility and aside from resting and not lifting not much else can be done. At least no shoulder surgery was suggested!!

Supper has been prepped and is cooking. Picked some fresh parsley from the garden for my mushroom barley stew. Chicken drumsticks (organic) on the menu for dd and dh, along with brown rice and butter sauteed fennel as a veggie.

Creative
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good afternoon Everyone,

I was awake at 6:00 this morning so I could get to the Homeless Shelter by 8:15. We had plenty of help today, thank goodness for I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that we served at least 200 people. We have a new cook in charge of making the food and he puts out some very tasty food. I didn't ask him for we didn't have the time, but I wonder if he has his own recipe files for feeding over 100 people at a time. I am going to research that for I believe I saw a site one time that had those types of recipes. I heard some of the guests commenting on how good everything was.

I had to laugh for when I worked on a regular basis with my church it seemed that I always was assigned to peel the boiled eggs as my food to get ready to serve. Well guess what, my talents at egg peeling must follow me for that is what I did today and now they have started deviling the eggs. :lol: I didn't have a recipe, but I mixed the mayo,mustard, and pickle relish up in a bowl before adding it to my yolks. One of the girls working with me said she just threw the stuff in there all at once. I told her if she didn't mind that I preferred mixing the condiments together first, then taste=test it so I knew the egg mixture was good. I then asked her to get me a ziploc bag and she had no idea of what I was doing. Of course, I snipped the end and piped the egg mixture into the shell, which takes half the time of scooping with a spoon and looks so much prettier. One of the guys said a few weeks ago someone made them and they were awful tasting. I don't know how you could mess up a deviled egg, but he said he thought they used a blue cheese dressing instead of mayo. I told my little helper,"see that is why you need to taste things", she got a big laugh from that. She might have been 16. Good to see these young people working in the program as well.

I was very impressed with the people who are in charge now, they make it very pretty and appealing using fresh flowers. I saw some of the people that have been coming there for years. It doesn't appear if their plight in life has changed drastically, makes me feel so sad. None of us really appreciate fully what it is to have a good stable life like we should. I also, am again thankful for all the wonderful businesses in town that donate their produce, breads, pizza, fried chicken, cakes, cookies and so much more instead of throwing it in a dumpster. We had several of those expensive Publix cakes to serve as desserts today so it made paying $24.99 for one of them less painful for me. One of the ladies said that when they get them they will flash freeze them and save them until they can get enough to serve an entire meal. I am glad that they get the opportunity to taste that caliber of dessert. Pure heaven.

We had another stormy night and I am hoping that I get in a little more paint time today. Not much else is going on here and I pray that all of you have a wonderful day.