Sticker Shock at the Grocery (again!)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
11cats2beagles

Sticker Shock at the Grocery (again!)

Post by 11cats2beagles »

So I just ran some errands, deciding I want to make scalloped potatoes and ham in the slow cooker for tonight's supper. I personally don't eat any meat but ham is a favorite of S.O. and the boys so I though I'd just buy a little ham steak to dice up and put in with the potatoes.

Having not purchased much meat at all in years (S.O. buys most of our food), I don't know what I expected but I did NOT expect the price of a small little ham steak to be $3.79!! Finally I found a "deal" - two of them for $5 with my store card, so got that. I guess $2.50 each is more in line with what I was thinking.

Mercy...how do those of you who eat meat on a regular basis afford it? Have you cut back your consumption? Now I'm seeing why S.O. buys a lot of big packs on sale and divides them up for the freezer!

And potatoes...we had those so I didn't need to buy but I looked at prices...$3.99 for a 5 lb. bag! S.O. got ours from a local farmer - for less than that, I hope!

clemencia2us

Re: Sticker Shock at the Grocery (again!)

Post by clemencia2us »

around here it depends on where you go.

I only go to the local independent store when it is an "emergency" or I am too lazy to drive 8 miles.

For example - the 18 or 20 - cant remember - bag of dog food is 18 and change at the big chain. Here they carry it, but it is 25 dollars!!

Their milk is expensive too. The only thing that is a good price is soft drinks and beer and wine - go figure!

When I go there for my emergency supplies, I am shocked that there are people that actually do their whole family food shopping there!!!

I do buy meat, but like to get the prime cuts, so I know I am going to be paying more than 10 dollars a pound at the big store.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

11cats2beagles wrote:Have you cut back your consumption?
Yes, for about the last two years, we rarely buy meat. When we do, it's from Save-a-Lot, as our local one has a butcher on staff and the meat is fresh, good and at least 10 percent cheaper than at Food Lion. You can't get any fancy cuts, but usually all I buy is a little piece of chuck steak dicing up for soup or stew, or a pork roast for making pulled pork BBQ.

The size of pork roast I used to get for $4 to make BBQ is now $7. A chuck steak the size I used to buy now also runs about $7 -- that made enough diced beef for two batches of soup or stew. The one I bought the other day for $4.51 made enough for one batch of soup. We're a small family, so I can't imagine what people with more kids at home or a pack of hearty meat eaters are spending.

On the plus side, cutting meat pretty much out of our diet has made DH, the world's pickiest eater, eat more vegetables. And we do order it when we eat out, so we seem to appreciate it a lot more then.

The price of potatoes is also crazy. $3.99 a bag is about right for these parts, too. The other day, I wound up paying $1.50 for three large baking potatoes. I hope the farmers are getting some of that money!
Mackie

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I buy chicken and fish but no beef. Because it is just me, most of the price increases have not made a big difference in my bill.

I am wondering what we'll see this year with turkey prices. I don't think that Jackie has mentioned if turkey prices were up for Canadian Thanksgiving.

I've been hearing on the news that there might be a shortage of canned pumpkin. (Do they say this every year?) I am going to keep an eye out and start checking prices. Sometimes Walgreens has good deals on it.

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Here we have 4.00 a pound ground beef, however I found an alternative. I buy ground turkey for 1.50 a pound frozen. DH didn't take too much to it originally but he didn't complain. He has to have meat, his whole family are super meat carnivores. I have found that switching us to chicken and turkey has cut down on some of the prices. I also play around with brands, for example John morrell down here is the cheapest for hotdogs and sausage- .79 for the hotdogs and a 1.00 for the sausages. I cut the sausages up and fry them for DH. He approves of it so I don't worry about that. when I see the ground beef on sale I usually stock up on a couple packs to give him a treat every now and then. We buy frozen pizza once a week, because DH loves it but we try to keep to less than 5.00 a pizza. I also do veggies and carbs to make up for less meat.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

floridacatlover wrote:I've been hearing on the news that there might be a shortage of canned pumpkin.
Pumpkin has become one of those new super-foods, so there might be a shortage related to demand. In addition to people food, it now shows up in a lot of hypo-allergenic/high-end pet foods because the fiber is good for dogs and cats.

Ollie's Outlet, which is a clearance discount store, had it for 59 cents a can this summer and I bought about a dozen cans. That should hold us a while.
Mackie