Daily Check In October 24, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In October 24, 2018

Post by Jackielou » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:15 am

Good morning

Where is everyone??? Back when I get my coffee.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In October 24, 2018

Post by Jackielou » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up and at em and raring to go... Well I will be once I finish my coffee. The household task list is a short one, so things will be done quickly.

Yesterday my ironing board gave up the ghost. It is probably 20 years (if not more) old and perhaps it is time I got a new one. I had bought the padded cover not long ago so I plan on getting that off to use on the next one. I had thought that perhaps Hubby could make some new folding legs, but he just looked at me like I was crazy when I asked.

I make the grocery list today so will be checking out fliers online if they don't arrive at a decent time this morning. Hopefully there are good sales going on. This working at keeping the bill down, but still eating healthy is something not for the faint of heart here in a small Canadian prairie city. We don't have the selection of stores that bigger centers have, so the sales are pretty much even. Starting next year we will be having a Carbon tax added to various items (fuel, natural gas, electric) and that will add more to our bills. We are supposed to get a rebate however to help offset the increase, though we don't know what will happen in a few years if another Federal Government gets in. It seems like once something is instated and it is seen as generating income it will not be removed. I think people will have to get used to higher prices in pretty much everything and belts will need to be tightened in a great many cases.

The mornings are very cool right now, usually below freezing and most of the trees have shed their foliage. I can see clear across the valley to the coal mining on the other side. Usually the mess is hidden by trees, not so any longer. Guess old man winter is on it's way. It is amazing how dark things stay in the morning, and how early night falls in the evening now, and it isn't even the longest night of the year yet. As long as the snow holds off I will be able to take my daily walks outside. I have decided on two days using the poles, and then one day of not. At least until my arms and wrists get used to them.

Other frugal happenings here will be using up what is in the freezers, fridge or pantry, sewing my summer patterns that I did not do before, knitting from my yarn stash (does not seem to be in the least depleted right now), watching Criminal Minds using the android box, and reading a free book on my ereader. You know just a regular day for me. I may make a few calls today if I don't get an email shortly about getting a sub for something at church next month. This is supposedly easier, but I have a feeling that people don't really check online, or that very few people really do.

Supper tonight will be the leftover casserole from a couple of days ago. I will add some raw veggies and dip to the menu as well.

Today I am grateful for each and every day that I get to go out for my walk.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am

Good Morning all

Thanks for starting us Jackielou. I am good with starting on the weekends, but during the weekdays, I wait until I am back from my walk. Usually it is started by then.

I don't know why there are so many fewer people posting, Jackielou. I have heard a lot of complaints about the pop up ads. I agree they are annoying.

Today, I will buy nut meats at the bulk food place. So I will leave in about an hour. The traffic is very bad around here at work start time. Unmanaged growth is the cause. But the elected officials just continue to approve it and the developers just continue to build. All I can do is vote against the current ones which I did.

I agree with you Jackielou. Once a tax is approved, it gains eternal life. Here, taxes approved for good purposes always get directed elsewhere. Governments have no obligation to keep their promises. Sad.

Winn-Dixie has a couple of great grocery sales. I am going to buy some meat and put in the freezer. I really didn't want much in the freezer when I was gone, but I guess that is not going to happen.

I moved many of my plants to the concrete where hubs can water easily. I have a few more to move. I will finish that today. I also hope to drill the holes in the irrigation line and test it. Seal it if it tests well. I am setting up my shuttle ride to the airport. I like the shuttle. They have been good to me. I do get nervous about that though. I would hate to miss my flight.

I scored a couple of discounts at Save a lot yesterday. I got smoked turkey tails on discount and also enough lettuce and cucumbers for the rest of the week. I love my vegetables.

Today, I am grateful for the lovely weather. This weather is one reason that I love Florida. Our trees are filled with bird songs from the many warblers here on winter vacation. Lovely time. Have a nice day everyone.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:18 am

I have only heard that the pop ups are annoying from a very few. Most ignore them, or use notepad to do their posts.

Since youngest DS added a different AdBlock I am having no trouble at all. Been two weeks now and I am very happy.

I think that people are not doing the double posts. We have a few that only post on the Challenges forum and a few that only post once in awhile or when they want to ask a question.

People get crazy busy, or start new jobs with very little time to do other than lurk to keep up.

I know that at this time of year I don't post as much due to trying to get gifts made for Christmas giving. Every year I say I will start earlier, and every year I kind of fail at this.

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:40 am

Good morning all,
It s sunny and cold....according to the weather map on TV the cold air is coming from Canada, Take it backkkkk, please !!!! LOL

The ads drive me nuts also, some times I just give up the second or third time I try to post. Other times it goes right thru.

I need to run the floor duster and then go to the store for dad, the nephew has taken to fixing his breakfast at dads before school. I keep pre-fried potatoes in the fridge for dad and the nephew eats about 3 normal servings a day along with 4 to 6 eggs at a time. I think it is ridiculous to eat that much, but he would be getting cold cereal everyday at home. The sister in law doesn't cook very often and will not let him make his own food. She doesn't want him to mess up her kitchen, but has no problem letting me clean up the mess in dads kitchen every day.

I have a small amount of housework to do this afternoon. Nothing hard or heavy, then will read or ???

Have a great day all,
JCKitty

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 am

Still raining here in south Texas

It is supposed to stop today and the next few days are supposed to be sunny, but who knows.

I've had my allotment of coffee for the day. Now have to get ready to go to lunch. Its a little celebration lunch. Boy we go out to eat a lot. This time not at our expense.

So we didn't win the lotto. So sad. Can you just imagine what the winner is feeling right now??????

What would you do.

Have a great day