Kindle

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Kindle

Post by icfrugal1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Thank you all :D

I've ordered the Kindle Fire 8" 8th generation :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should get it by the end of the week, I'm so excited !!!

My friend has one and has the $9.99 a month unlimited plan, I'm thinking about it, but another monthly bill!!! :| :| :|

IC

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:17 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy A tablet, which is a smaller one with a 7.1 inch screen. It's like holding a paperback book and I use both the Nook and Kindle apps on it. Love that little thing. I can adjust the type size and screen brightness for my wonky vision and it fits neatly in my handbag.

I did not go for the Kindle Unlimited thing simply because of not wanting another monthly bill. Bookbub often has books free or $1.99 and under, and if I'm patient, pretty much whatever I want to read shows up.

Would love to use Overdrive, but we have to pay $50 a year to use it through the city library and that became a big Nope in no time.
Mackie

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm

MackerelCat wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:17 pm
Would love to use Overdrive, but we have to pay $50 a year to use it through the city library and that became a big Nope in no time.
That is the first time I've ever known anyone to have to pay for using Overdrive through the city library, mine is completely free. I have a Kindle, it's old as the hills, but I use my wi-fi to download everything to it and don't have a monthly plan. Once the book is downloaded I can read anytime I want until it expires without going on the internet again. I love my kindle and when this one goes will definitely purchase another one. I also, have the app on my phone and an able to my books from there if I don't want to take my kindle with me. I just sync it to get to the proper page.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:49 pm

I LOVE KU. Just know that you're not gonna find John Sandford. Danielle Steele. James Patterson and such.it IS great for reading new authors trying to get going (sometimes you kiss frogs. But some are really great), for reading the older books of established authors, and for non fiction books. Right now a have a book on essential oil recipes for arthritis, and multiple slow cooker books. You can have up to ten books at a time. For as long as you like.

I discovered both the Kate Shugak Alaska series and the author James Grippando via K U.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Little Miss, the Overdrive app is free, but we have to buy a library membership to use it. We live outside the city limits, and only city residents get a free membership.
Mackie

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 am

Quilter51 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:49 pm
I LOVE KU. Just know that you're not gonna find John Sandford. Danielle Steele. James Patterson and such.it IS great for reading new authors trying to get going (sometimes you kiss frogs. But some are really great), for reading the older books of established authors, and for non fiction books. Right now a have a book on essential oil recipes for arthritis, and multiple slow cooker books. You can have up to ten books at a time. For as long as you like.

I discovered both the Kate Shugak Alaska series and the author James Grippando via K U.
Pretty much read all the Kate Shugak crime series. First from the library and those I could not on my ereader. Loved them.