Daily Check In December 28, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Daily Check In December 28, 2018

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Argh!! My late update was eaten!!!

1 dress is finished (unless I decide to do a sash, haven't decided yet), and 2 dress is perhaps almost 50% done.

Went to dinner with dh tonight, I ended up with enough leftovers for 1-2 meals.

Dh didn't want to go home, so drove to TJ MAXX so he could show me clearance rack clothes.😂 I did buy a longer t-shirt, camis for layering, and a much needed white bra. With these, 3-4 sets new underwear, and hopefully a few more clearance long-sleeve shirts, and I’ll be set for 1-2 years on clothes. Well maybe a new belt, I’ve lost the buckle part... I have had it over 12 years and it's much too big for me now.

Will go to bed soon; even with the 65*F temp dh likes, I’ll be warm soon enough. Am feeling very tired now too; waking at 7am, after going to bed at 2am, was Not easy!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:02 pm Rinty so glad to hear you are having a lovely holiday season. You have had so much stress. Nice that your DS is there and you are able to take care of him they way you think he needs to be taken care of ie a Mum's love. I had to laugh about you saying your DD's and DIL's do not seem to iron. Years ago one of my neices asked me what is that thing in your closet? It was an ironing board.. When I told her she did not know what it was for and did not know what an iron was..lol. I grew up during the time of no permanent press clothes and I love to iron. Sometimes my aides would tell me to leave the ironing for them but I told them I like to iron..I stop and rest in between but still love it.
Have a lovely time with the rest of your holiday visits. Janet Alliesmama
I detest ironing clothes and rarely do it. Your body heat can iron out those few piddly wrinkles. 😂😂

However, I DO iron when I’m sewing (most of the time) because I want whatever I’m making to look good.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:33 pm Hi all -
Just have been reading the ironing posts. I don't mind ironing but I only iron dress clothes and right before they are worn because they always seemed to get wrinkled in the closet.

I am so old I remember ironing everything. My daddy would never let me get a job - so for spending money, I did my older brother and his wife's ironing. I was thrilled. They had 3-4 bushel baskets per week and I made 50 cents a bushel. I would iron for 4-6 hours and make $1.50 and thought I was rich. Now I know I was just stupid.
Hey 1.50 back when I was a kid was more than my allowance of a $1.00 a week and I was expected to put gas in the car from that 1.00..lol. When I was going to school and living in the Chicago area with my sister I was in charge of doing the ironing.. I ironed everything including my BIL's boxers since his Mom use to iron his.. Also did the baby's diapers but my DS told me not to due to it reduced absorbency. What can I say I love to iron.
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:17 am Hey 1.50 back when I was a kid was more than my allowance of a $1.00 a week and I was expected to put gas in the car from that 1.00..lol. When I was going to school and living in the Chicago area with my sister I was in charge of doing the ironing.. I ironed everything including my BIL's boxers since his Mom use to iron his.. Also did the baby's diapers but my DS told me not to due to it reduced absorbency. What can I say I love to iron.
Janet, you sound just like my sister, she loves to iron too. You girls just keep right on ironing if you love it. That is what makes life so wonderful, we can do what we love and if we don't love it we don't have to. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I only iron what has to be ironed now. Mostly Hubbys dress shirts and pants.

Ironing and I just do not get along.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

My iron is a sewing tool!

My mother says as the oldest of 11 kids, she was ironing while her brothers were playing, her next sister was learning to sew and the other two sisters were too young. I grew up listening carefully for the dryer buzzer so we could hustle down to get the permanent press clothing out and on hangars. That included Mom's nurse's whites, Dad's white button downs and our white uniform blouses/shirts.