Daily Check In December 28, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In December 28, 2018

Post by clemencia2us »

littlemiss63 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:00 pm You ladies that love to iron just go for it. I missed that gene, my sister got it. I can remember in the 50's ironing all day long and I got my fill of it. If it can't be taken out of the dryer and look like it's been pressed to some degree it doesn't enter my house. LOL The exception is I still iron my pillowcases, but they don't take much time.

Those days are long gone for me.
Same here littlemiss

The COD irons every single day! He will iron for me if needed, but I make sure my clothes do not require that. I used to iron my uniform but stopped. It was only 3 dollars to get them pressed with heavy starch.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I've had a nice few days.

We've been going here and there with my older brother. Went down to the Gulf coast yesterday to visit sister. The weather was spectacular. Perfect time to be there. Ate at a very delicious Italian place.

Had breakfast with them this morning and then they took off.

I've been taking care of chores. I had not done laundry in almost two weeks. Boy do I have a lot of clothes. I could have held out until next week.

But did that. Bought some ingredients to make oxtail soup on Sunday. Should be colder then. It is chilly now, but not too bad. No need for the heat. Yesterday at the coast, most places had on the AC!

Making crockpot chicken and dressing right now.

hope all have a great afternoon and evening.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:31 pm Good afternoon.. I am feeling better. Last night went on line to look for home remedies to help me feel better. One of them was honey and chamomile tea. I have raw unfiltered honey from Big Lots and chamomile tea from there as well. When I woke up this morning my throat felt so much better. Will continue to use the tea and honey and then use salt water gargles.

I have chicken soup on the stove. Amazing how little it takes of some things to smell so good with a little bit of onion, celery, a few meaty chicken thighs in a pot of water. I grew my own bay leaves. I am going to make butter dumplings later on.

I had my aide do a little bit of a stock up on basics like eggs, cheese, sour cream and salad things. Teddi is a fiend when it comes to radishes.. They are his new favorite treat. I cut them in half and then in thin slices.I buy mine at Ruler and they are huge, not pithy or overly too hot. Eggs were lower than last time. They were .79 cents a doz now ..75 cents. I am all set for the New Year and hopefully will only need the occasional fresh salad items in January.

Have a good and frugal day. Janet Alliesmama
Do you have lemons? I would heat up lemon juice, add some local honey, drink that and felt so much better. They say to use local honey so that you become immune to the local pollens or something like that.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I also hate to iron and have figured out how to dry and/or hang pretty much anything and have it look crisp. Which is more than I can say for how it looks after I've tried to iron it! DH used to starch and iron his own dress shirts. The only thing I still iron is fabric pieces when I'm sewing something.

Today has been shuffle furniture around day for me. I put my little desk and filing cabinet back in the home office, which meant moving out the big old overstuffed chair that the youngest dog (Goldie) liked to sleep in. She has been urinating on her dog bed and then sleeping on the chair. She is very weird about where she relieves herself due to having been mistreated before we got her.

So the chair is going to the curb so that she has no choice except to sleep in her bed and use the nearby potty pad. The idea that bed is bed is being reinforced by putting the blanket that used to be on the old chair on her bed. Right now she's asleep in her bed looking adorable. She really has overcome a lot and this is the last thing she needs to fully figure out.

The furniture shuffle left me needing a little desk chair, so I took a nice folding chair we had in the closet and painted it to match the desk. It's going to look really cute and I have a cushion for the seat. Pushed under the desk, the chair seat will be too tight a space for Goldie to get into.

I used an Amazon gift card from Christmas to order an unfinished console table for the dining area. Only had to pay $26 in shipping and tax.

We bought an unfinished desk from the same company and it was lovely, sturdy, and easy to stain and seal. The table will give me space in that area for a table lamp and room to put dishes when we have a big family meal. Our dining table seats only five people rather snugly, so there's not space to lay out a groaning board on it. :-D
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:00 pm You ladies that love to iron just go for it. I missed that gene, my sister got it. I can remember in the 50's ironing all day long and I got my fill of it. If it can't be taken out of the dryer and look like it's been pressed to some degree it doesn't enter my house. LOL The exception is I still iron my pillowcases, but they don't take much time.

Those days are long gone for me.
We do live an era when we do not have to iron but I still like the extra finished look even with permanent press. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:03 pm We do live an era when we do not have to iron but I still like the extra finished look even with permanent press. Janet Alliesmama
I might put a crease in a pair of jeans or a shirt sleeve sometimes, but 99% of my clothes when I shake them real good before placing in the dryer or hanging on a hanger don't look any different than if I should iron them. I never let them dry completely in the dryer, set for about 15 minutes then hang to finish drying. I would send them to the dry cleaners to press before I would stand and iron.

My sister says it's her therapy, I don't need therapy. I can get the same effect by getting a cold glass of iced tea or hot chocolate and laying back on a lounge chair. LOL