Daily Check In December 28, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In December 28, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good afternoon.. I am feeling better. Last night went on line to look for home remedies to help me feel better. One of them was honey and chamomile tea. I have raw unfiltered honey from Big Lots and chamomile tea from there as well. When I woke up this morning my throat felt so much better. Will continue to use the tea and honey and then use salt water gargles.

I have chicken soup on the stove. Amazing how little it takes of some things to smell so good with a little bit of onion, celery, a few meaty chicken thighs in a pot of water. I grew my own bay leaves. I am going to make butter dumplings later on.

I had my aide do a little bit of a stock up on basics like eggs, cheese, sour cream and salad things. Teddi is a fiend when it comes to radishes.. They are his new favorite treat. I cut them in half and then in thin slices.I buy mine at Ruler and they are huge, not pithy or overly too hot. Eggs were lower than last time. They were .79 cents a doz now ..75 cents. I am all set for the New Year and hopefully will only need the occasional fresh salad items in January.

Have a good and frugal day. Janet Alliesmama
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
rinty

Post by rinty »

Gayle, what a piece of work your BIL is ! Sincerely hope that is the last penny that goes his way.

Knackered but happy. Our guests have gone home so (yay) sitting in a company ready home, but (boo !) theres a kitchen that made company style food that needs cleaning up. I also ironed for 2 hours straight this morning. None of my DD or DDIL seem to iron ???? So weird. I ironed for England when the children were small.

ANYWAY ;) We shopped for milk and bread today but still got full cupboards/fridges so that was it.

Need to prepare for our VERY LAST Christmas "do" on Sunday, we have the meals planned and have everything. I put up some more décor today and will do one of two more things .......to have what is "expected".

Off to do more laundry .

So lovely seeing friends and family. Made commitments to see each other more , especially lovely having DS here. He has pottered in and I've realised he didn't eat (!!!) with us . Ooops ! Off to make him something plain and simple and easy to eat.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m glad that you are feeling better, Janet.

I’m back home from mom’s house. Trash people did not pick up until about 1 p.m. Usually it is between 9-11 a.m. but they were later on Thanksgiving week, too, so I guess they get behind with the holiday.

Since I was there I bundled up all of the recycling for Wednesday and cleaned out a drawer in a cabinet in the garage. I took the rest of mom’s padded hangars home. She was so creative. About half are velvet and half are a quilted floral material. They are rust and gold so not my color scheme (1970s I guess) but I’ll keep them in the closet in my second bedroom.

Gas is $1.99/gallon so even though I just got gas a few days ago at $2.01, I topped off with $10 today. I read a few days ago that oil prices are up so I don’t think the cheap gas will last too much longer.

I am still waiting on my roof replacement. I’m sure they are behind because of all the rain and I’m kind of glad they didn’t want to do it this Christmas week. I’ll call next week to find out their schedule.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:49 pm Gayle, what a piece of work your BIL is ! Sincerely hope that is the last penny that goes his way.

Knackered but happy. Our guests have gone home so (yay) sitting in a company ready home, but (boo !) theres a kitchen that made company style food that needs cleaning up. I also ironed for 2 hours straight this morning. None of my DD or DDIL seem to iron ???? So weird. I ironed for England when the children were small.

ANYWAY ;) We shopped for milk and bread today but still got full cupboards/fridges so that was it.

Need to prepare for our VERY LAST Christmas "do" on Sunday, we have the meals planned and have everything. I put up some more décor today and will do one of two more things .......to have what is "expected".

Off to do more laundry .

So lovely seeing friends and family. Made commitments to see each other more , especially lovely having DS here. He has pottered in and I've realised he didn't eat (!!!) with us . Ooops ! Off to make him something plain and simple and easy to eat.
Rinty so glad to hear you are having a lovely holiday season. You have had so much stress. Nice that your DS is there and you are able to take care of him they way you think he needs to be taken care of ie a Mum's love. I had to laugh about you saying your DD's and DIL's do not seem to iron. Years ago one of my neices asked me what is that thing in your closet? It was an ironing board.. When I told her she did not know what it was for and did not know what an iron was..lol. I grew up during the time of no permanent press clothes and I love to iron. Sometimes my aides would tell me to leave the ironing for them but I told them I like to iron..I stop and rest in between but still love it.
Have a lovely time with the rest of your holiday visits. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:56 pm I’m glad that you are feeling better, Janet.

I’m back home from mom’s house. Trash people did not pick up until about 1 p.m. Usually it is between 9-11 a.m. but they were later on Thanksgiving week, too, so I guess they get behind with the holiday.

Since I was there I bundled up all of the recycling for Wednesday and cleaned out a drawer in a cabinet in the garage. I took the rest of mom’s padded hangars home. She was so creative. About half are velvet and half are a quilted floral material. They are rust and gold so not my color scheme (1970s I guess) but I’ll keep them in the closet in my second bedroom.

Gas is $1.99/gallon so even though I just got gas a few days ago at $2.01, I topped off with $10 today. I read a few days ago that oil prices are up so I don’t think the cheap gas will last too much longer.

I am still waiting on my roof replacement. I’m sure they are behind because of all the rain and I’m kind of glad they didn’t want to do it this Christmas week. I’ll call next week to find out their schedule.
Thanks Florida Cat.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:02 pm Rinty so glad to hear you are having a lovely holiday season. You have had so much stress. Nice that your DS is there and you are able to take care of him they way you think he needs to be taken care of ie a Mum's love. I had to laugh about you saying your DD's and DIL's do not seem to iron. Years ago one of my neices asked me what is that thing in your closet? It was an ironing board.. When I told her she did not know what it was for and did not know what an iron was..lol. I grew up during the time of no permanent press clothes and I love to iron. Sometimes my aides would tell me to leave the ironing for them but I told them I like to iron..I stop and rest in between but still love it.
Have a lovely time with the rest of your holiday visits. Janet Alliesmama
You ladies that love to iron just go for it. I missed that gene, my sister got it. I can remember in the 50's ironing all day long and I got my fill of it. If it can't be taken out of the dryer and look like it's been pressed to some degree it doesn't enter my house. LOL The exception is I still iron my pillowcases, but they don't take much time.

Those days are long gone for me.