Reader's Digest Version of a Long Story

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Reader's Digest Version of a Long Story

Post by mbrudnic »

I have thought of you often over the years and wondered how you've fared. So wonderful to hear such great news. Welcome back!

Happychoice

Post by Happychoice »

I do remember you posting years back. It's wonderful to hear you are feeling much better. Continue to heal and enjoy your newfound life.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

randamax wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am
Some of you may remember me - I've been around here for years and used to post quite a bit. Then for one reason or another, life got kind of busy and I sopped posting. I did, however, keep reading every day.

Then, almost 5 years ago I was diagnosed with carcinoid cancer and my life got even busier. The first two years were fairly normal. Carcinoid is a slow growing cancer and, even though it had already metasticized to my liver, I was doing really well. I was on two different drugs and they were enough to ward if my symptoms for quite a while. The third year I began having more problems and I went in for more, and a different kind of treatment. There was some success with that, but, overall, not a great deal.

One of the potential problems with this type of cancer involve heart issues. I had the issues from the beginning, but they continued to get worse. They kept telling me that I needed open heart surgery, but the cardiac surgeon thought I was too sick and I probably would not survive the surgery. I went on that way for a while and finally pressed him for any other options that might be out there. He took my case to a number of his colleagues and they discussed options. He called me back over the summer with a 'possible' option if I met a bunch of medical criteria. Bring it on! I passed all of the tests with flying colors, and on Halloween, I had a transcatheter heart valve replacement. There is another valve that is also leaking, but I'm getting good function with the replacement and so we're leaving it for now.

I am able to do more than I have for about a year and a half and have much less fatigue. It's kind of a miracle really. I went out on disability from my job in August and have not been back since. In the meantime, I've decided to retire. It's much earlier than I ever planned to retire, but I do feel that now, while I'm feeling better and not worse, is the time to go.

So. I will be around much more now - yay! - and I have lots of comments and questions to share/ask with all of you. Some days I probably will not have the energy to post, but I'll always be around reading, and I'll post as often as I feel up to it.

Sorry for such a long post, but I kind of wanted to give you a little background on why I've been away for so long. I'm looking forward to our time together!
So happy to see a post from you and extra happy that things are going well. We have really missed you.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I remember you. I’m so glad that you are doing so well.

When I think of complaining here or to myself about my trivial problems, I’ll stop and remember your story about what is really important in life.

randamax

Post by randamax »

mbrudnic wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm
I have thought of you often over the years and wondered how you've fared. So wonderful to hear such great news. Welcome back!
Thank you so much for thinking of me. You are too kind. And thank you for the welcome!

randamax

Post by randamax »

Happychoice wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm
I do remember you posting years back. It's wonderful to hear you are feeling much better. Continue to heal and enjoy your newfound life.
Thank you so much! I will definitely enjoy every moment - it is so important and I am so grateful.