Putting our Creativity to Work

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

Putting our Creativity to Work

Post by randamax »

I can definitely tell that I am feeling so much better. When I didn't feel well I had no creative ideas at all. Frankly, it was all I could do to make it through the day most days. I just spent most of my time sleeping and watching TV.

But I am definitely back to my old self and I can barely contain all of the ideas that are literally running through my brain! I love it! I've missed that part of me and am glad to have it return. I've got all sorts of ideas of things I want to try.

My questions to you are, do you consider yourself a creative person? When do you find you are the most creative? Do you save money with your creative ideas, or do they just bring you joy? Or both? What is one creative idea that you have right now that you're working on?

Personally I find that I am most creative when it's fairly quiet. A little background noise is fine, but when it's really loud, it zaps my creative spirit. Over the years I have saved a lot of money being creative (inexpensive gift ideas, crafts for our home and parties, that sort of thing) - and it's brought me a lot of joy as well. One thing I'm doing right now is gathering goodies to take to a luncheon at work on Friday. The office staff is bringing lunch for everyone and I volunteered to bring a bruschetta bar with all kinds of savory goodies. When I told one of my colleagues what I was going to bring, she said "I really miss your creativity here!"
colonialgirl

Re: Putting our Creativity to Work

Post by colonialgirl »

That is one of the things I loved about your Christmas prep posts - you were so creative.

The answer to your question is no - I don't have one creative bone in my body. Hubs is the innovator in our family. I just point out the problem we have and the solution I want and he figures out how to do it. I wish I were - but I have a journeyman's mind. Once I see something - I can recreate it or use it - but I don't have any capacity for innovation. Bummer.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

For me, creativity is a balance to my logical, technical side. Since I work in IT I often need to relax with the creation of something that is pleasing to the eye. I think it also allows me to complete a project. Many of my work project are very long in duration or are maintenance and operations. Sometimes it is nice to see see a tangible end-result. In college I'd bake a batch of cookies for this reason.

I get really excited picking out fabric for a quilt. I love watching it come together. I still admire the quilts I made years ago, how the different patterns co-ordinate.

Years ago I took a cake decorating class when I was unemployed yet planning my wedding and going to grad school.

This Christmas my Mom got out some appliqued Santa place-mats I made prior to 1997 and I was wowed by how good they turned out. I expected my inexperience to show. LOL.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

colonialgirl wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 pm That is one of the things I loved about your Christmas prep posts - you were so creative.

The answer to your question is no - I don't have one creative bone in my body. Hubs is the innovator in our family. I just point out the problem we have and the solution I want and he figures out how to do it. I wish I were - but I have a journeyman's mind. Once I see something - I can recreate it or use it - but I don't have any capacity for innovation. Bummer.
Don't you sew/quilt? I woudl argue that you dish collections are a form of creativity or appreciation of beauty. You cooks big meals for your family, no? It takes a certain type of creativity to create a menu. Don't sell yourself short. There are many ways to be creative.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

randamax wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm I can definitely tell that I am feeling so much better. When I didn't feel well I had no creative ideas at all. Frankly, it was all I could do to make it through the day most days. I just spent most of my time sleeping and watching TV.

But I am definitely back to my old self and I can barely contain all of the ideas that are literally running through my brain! I love it! I've missed that part of me and am glad to have it return. I've got all sorts of ideas of things I want to try.

My questions to you are, do you consider yourself a creative person? When do you find you are the most creative? Do you save money with your creative ideas, or do they just bring you joy? Or both? What is one creative idea that you have right now that you're working on?

Personally I find that I am most creative when it's fairly quiet. A little background noise is fine, but when it's really loud, it zaps my creative spirit. Over the years I have saved a lot of money being creative (inexpensive gift ideas, crafts for our home and parties, that sort of thing) - and it's brought me a lot of joy as well. One thing I'm doing right now is gathering goodies to take to a luncheon at work on Friday. The office staff is bringing lunch for everyone and I volunteered to bring a bruschetta bar with all kinds of savory goodies. When I told one of my colleagues what I was going to bring, she said "I really miss your creativity here!"
I just want to say what a joy it is to hear how well you are doing!!!!! I am sitting here with a great big smile on my face!
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

mbrudnic wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 pm Don't you sew/quilt? I woudl argue that you dish collections are a form of creativity or appreciation of beauty. You cooks big meals for your family, no? It takes a certain type of creativity to create a menu. Don't sell yourself short. There are many ways to be creative.
Maggie, I'm so glad that you consider dish collecting as a form of creativity, I'm all over that. CG, and I can qualify under those conditions. :lol: :lol: :lol: