So if you were to build a new home.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: So if you were to build a new home.

Post by floridacatlover »

LWolfT wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:37 am

In the bathroom, I would just want a large walk-in shower ... really don't use the tub, and getting in and out could be an issue at some point.

Agree! I was always so, so happy that mom had a walk-in shower in the bathroom attached to her bedroom. That is a real plus at her house. She could not have coped with a bathtub. Years ago when she was in her late 70s-early 80s she fell in the bathtub in a hotel in Massachusetts. Thankfully did not break anything but it was quite a scare.

I have two full baths but both have bathtubs.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am Basements are interesting value added features unavailable along the coast for the most part, Jackielou. The way house size is treated may vary depending on real estate markets and taxing authorities. This house includes an enclosed garage which therefore makes it 1300 ft. Attics are also not really useful in most houses here because they get so hot. I believe you can store stuff in attics in the north extending the house area indirectly. Is that considered or is my assumption incorrect?
In NC, TN, and OK, only available 'living' space is counted as square footage. Like the place we're in now? One floor at a little over 2000 sq ft, the 3-car garage is unheated and while the 'footprint' of the house is considered for tax purposes (of course, :lol: ) only the heated/ac'd living area is listed as the official square footage for real estate purposes. I have friends on the coasts, their 1st and 2nd floor liveable footage is their official footage - their basements, even those that are finished & look so good they could be rented out as apartments, aren't counted in "square feet" for the house - they're just listed as bonus space; neither is the attic room one built complete with dormer window, heat/air, closet, etc. Here, by law, that's officially a bedroom and gets added on to official sq ft.

Semi related ~ He built that room without permits and without the city/county/state's knowledge. He'll never move, so it'll be his kid's legal tangle later on.

I understand the garage thing, after all who wants to live out there? But those basements (we don't have those, 95% of OK houses are on concrete slabs), those, to me, are square footage. Once it heated/cooled and looks like your living room, it's "house" as far as I can tell :lol: .
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

If I had the inclination to build myself a house, I would make it a 1 floor, side-by-side duplex. One side would be 2B/w/1 full and 1/2 bath, a small laundry area and screened in porch; the other side perhaps a 3 bedroom with 2 baths to rent out, no porch perhaps a patio and also area for laundry.

Kitchens would NOT be fancy but roomy with plenty of storage and countertop space both would be eat-in. Cabinets - wood stain finished for "warmth". Countertops formica; easy care; no dishwasher for myself but one in the other. White appliances, stainless too "cold-looking" and none that are "Alexa, turn on the dishwasher" or "Alexa turn on the washing machine". Would have hard-wood floors in my side; would consider laminate in the other.