Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalaaron

Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

Post by frugalaaron »

Good Morning All! Hope everyone is warm and rested.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Seems like it is going to be a foggy day out, temperature wise while colder than yesterday, it isn't too bad. The real cold stuff is supposedly coming on Tuesday night with lows into the mid -30's C not including the windchill.

Busy day today as I have prayer shawl ministry this afternoon. Guess I won't be hand quilting during the afternoon. I did some last night and as long as my bright reading light is on I should be able to do a bit. I don't know how many more of my project goals I can get completed this month, so I have started to move the ones I think will be carry overs to next month already. The list is started, and if I am actually lucky enough to get a few more completed I will cross them off of both months.

Frugally speaking the same old, same old will be continued here today.

I have been planning for a little additional savings in the upcoming year. Prices are rising and in order to stay on budget as closely as possible things need to change a little. Now I want to run a few things by all of you, and if you can think of some additions please give them to me as I need some fresh eyes on these ideas.

We have been a bit lax with turning off the lights and making sure the draft dodgers are in front of the doors come the evening. That will change once again. Overall we were underbudget for electrical costs last year and I would like to see if we can get it even lower. The energy usage is about the same, but could be improved a little bit. We have not been turning down the heat at night (I hate a cold room) but perhaps a degree or so would not make that much of a difference and yet give a bit of savings.

The biggest jump that we noticed is in our grocery budget. I do try to buy on sale and at reduced prices, but regular costs seem to be increasing. Take milk for instance, the cost of a 4 liter jug of milk is now $5.59 an increase of around 0.75 in the past few months. Unlike most of you milk in Canada never goes on sale (at least in my province), once in awhile we can get it free with the purchase of something else (this just started over the past year). So we are stuck with that increase. My plan this year is to continue with the no waste (or very little waste) challenge to my self and try and make a few more meatless meals each month.

Television is over budget as well. Both of us have decided that with Netflix and my Android box we do not need the movie channels. That would be a savings of $25.00 a month. Hubby just needs to phone and get that removed (he keeps putting it off because he hates phoning).

There, just a few of the things we are going to do differently this year.

Supper today is going to be smoked sausage, perhaps some pasta and mixed veggies.

Today I am grateful that I get to be with my friends at prayer shawl ministry.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 am Good morning fellow frugalites

Seems like it is going to be a foggy day out, temperature wise while colder than yesterday, it isn't too bad. The real cold stuff is supposedly coming on Tuesday night with lows into the mid -30's C not including the windchill.

Busy day today as I have prayer shawl ministry this afternoon. Guess I won't be hand quilting during the afternoon. I did some last night and as long as my bright reading light is on I should be able to do a bit. I don't know how many more of my project goals I can get completed this month, so I have started to move the ones I think will be carry overs to next month already. The list is started, and if I am actually lucky enough to get a few more completed I will cross them off of both months.

Frugally speaking the same old, same old will be continued here today.

I have been planning for a little additional savings in the upcoming year. Prices are rising and in order to stay on budget as closely as possible things need to change a little. Now I want to run a few things by all of you, and if you can think of some additions please give them to me as I need some fresh eyes on these ideas.

We have been a bit lax with turning off the lights and making sure the draft dodgers are in front of the doors come the evening. That will change once again. Overall we were underbudget for electrical costs last year and I would like to see if we can get it even lower. The energy usage is about the same, but could be improved a little bit. We have not been turning down the heat at night (I hate a cold room) but perhaps a degree or so would not make that much of a difference and yet give a bit of savings.

The biggest jump that we noticed is in our grocery budget. I do try to buy on sale and at reduced prices, but regular costs seem to be increasing. Take milk for instance, the cost of a 4 liter jug of milk is now $5.59 an increase of around 0.75 in the past few months. Unlike most of you milk in Canada never goes on sale (at least in my province), once in awhile we can get it free with the purchase of something else (this just started over the past year). So we are stuck with that increase. My plan this year is to continue with the no waste (or very little waste) challenge to my self and try and make a few more meatless meals each month.

Television is over budget as well. Both of us have decided that with Netflix and my Android box we do not need the movie channels. That would be a savings of $25.00 a month. Hubby just needs to phone and get that removed (he keeps putting it off because he hates phoning).

There, just a few of the things we are going to do differently this year.

Supper today is going to be smoked sausage, perhaps some pasta and mixed veggies.

Today I am grateful that I get to be with my friends at prayer shawl ministry.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, your $25 savings on movie channels is a nice chunk of money. Thinking of electronics, could you find savings from your cell phone plan? If you have a landline could you eliminate it? These are ideas I’ve considered.

For me, I’ve debated back and forth canceling cable and now plan to call about the seasonal discontinuation which I believe is $4.95/month but would let me try doing without canceling altogether. If I decide I can’t do without it, I will be able to restart it with no connect fee. If I don’t miss it after a month or two I can cancel altogether. I’ve considered eliminating my landline now that mom is gone but will keep it for now. For cell phone I could save $10/month by going to the lowest tier but it would be a big drop in data - down to .5 gig from 3 gig - so I’m still thinking about it.

For your nighttime electric, would it help to get an electric blanket or electric mattress pad? I have an electric blanket and I know that LittleMiss has an electric mattress pad.

For milk, I’m not sure this would make a difference for you, but how about soy milk? For me an added benefit (in addition to feeling better) is that soy milk seems to last much longer in my refrigerator. I could never use a U.S. gallon (your 4 liters) before it went bad.

I find that looking at increasing interest/returns is just as important as cutting costs. Could you shop around for higher interest on your savings? Do you know the fees you pay to your financial advisor? In Canada, do you have credit cards with rewards? If so, would it be worth it to charge your groceries and gas? LittleMiss is the master of this but I’m doing better. When you travel internationally do you have a cc that does not have currency transaction fees?

Just a few ideas.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

After two days of staying home, I’ll be glad to go out today. It is sunny and not as cool.

I plan to go to mom’s house and do something, just not sure what. I’ll be interested to check the rain gauge. On my way to mom’s house I’ll stop at the Redbox to get First Man which I have reserved with my expiring points. I need to pick up a Rx at Publix after 2 p.m. and will go to the library before or after Publix.

Yesterday I watched a LOT of skating. I didn’t tackle the Christmas tree lights yet. I did finally get all photos transferred from iPad, iPod touch and iPhone to my laptop. Also retrieved some old emails from my iPad. Long story but my email was sold to a different company a year or two ago (same address) and my new iPad won’t revognize the old emails in folders. I’m afraid they might be lost when I link old and new iPads to the cloud. So I forwarded the important ones to a rarely used gmail address. Most are mundane emails mom sent me during the few years she used email before her eyesight failed. They are general chitchat but important to me.

Stay warm.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
Just got DH off to his dentist's appointment (so nice to have insurance ;)
It's 30 and we're supposed to get rain-snow mix before we head into the deep freeze.
Jackie, I think Florida covered what I would say about your plans. DH just noted that milk has gone up at his store ... but it's nowhere near what you all have to pay.

So, yesterday, did get one set of Christmas napkins done. I will have to be more careful about cutting out the next set. To reward myself, I started cutting some blocks for the tree skirt.
The roast beef was OK, but a bit tough. I probably left it a bit long, as we prefer our beef medium, not rare. I did see a recipe for cooking eye of round in a crock pot, so may try that next. Tonight, have some chicken that I will use in a Mexican dish ...

Today, chores: laundry, empty dishwasher. May cull some containers that are getting out of hand.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Nice and sunny outside. We might hit the 70s today and then dip down tomorrow.

I didn't sleep well at all. My biggest dog was having a fitful night. And for some reason she has never learned to climb back on the bed by herself. I saw her do it once so i know she can

So she would jump off, wander around and then want to be picked up. This went on for what seemed like HOURS. Probably not, but still.

Today is laundry day. I dread it but then am always happy when it is done. :mrgreen: