Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Re: Daily Check-In: 1/28/19

Post by littlemiss63 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:16 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:39 pm
Creative good idea to look for your fancy dresses there. My niece was invited to a charity ball by a Dr friend of hers and she bought her dress for $17.00 at Good Will. She said she was voted best dressed..She said if only they knew...lol. Good look and happy hunting. Janet Alliesmama
This what I love about shopping at Thrift Stores, if you are not a blabber-mouth nobody has any idea of what store you bought the item or what you paid for it. I am not bragging, but my friends think I spend a fortune on clothes and 75% of what I wear is purchased at Goodwill or consignment stores. You don't have to spend a lot to look nice and fashionable. They will ask me what brand it is and very seldom do they ever ask me where it came from. They just assume I bought it at a high-end department store, originally that is probably where it came from.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Jackielou wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:10 pm
Update

The wind has turned brutal. I plugged the block heater in when I got home from our prayer shawl meeting. Hopefully the wind goes down by the time I need to go to the doctor tomorrow morning.

I have gotten lots finished today but there is more I can get done. Staying in now and not venturing out into temperatures that can freeze flesh in less tha 15 minutes.

Thanks for all your suggestions as to cutting expenses. Many we already do, and a few we have been discussing. The good thing is that while we would like to see how much we can lower our overall budget, we are not being forced to as of yet.
Jackie, if I remember right back before Christmas didn't you make some bowl cozies? How hard are they to make? I saw a tutorial on YouTube and the gal looked like she was having a little trouble when she was sewing it together. I would love to make myself a couple for microwaving my bowls for soup and oatmeal.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Update:

It has begun to rain and the temperature is dropping, they have downgraded the amount of snow we will get, but I am not believing anything they say. I am stocked food-wise and have no where to go till Wednesday afternoon so I will go with the flow.

I got my Coffee Punch made, it's in the freezer as we speak. I remembered that I had a valentine mold, found it and am freezing it to keep the punch cold. I think it will be real cute. That was one of those things that I almost gave to Goodwill, but decided to keep and now am glad that I did. I am going to have an early dinner, get in my jammies, turn on my heated mattress pad (which I love) and watch Downton Abbey.

Everyone stay warm.

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Good evening all,

back from supper at dads , was going to go to DD#1 for a visit but roads are icing over and I will not take the chance.
While we were eating dad told me that the woman friend of he and mom passed away today...it really got to me. She and her husband and my mom and dad were a foursome of fun. They used to go out and do things all the time, she and dad had remained close friends after their mates passed. Dad was very calm when he told me and seemed already over the emotional part for the time being, the service is Friday and he is determined to go..Have already discussed it with the brother and we are taking him together.

I did a lot of work today getting ready for the "big blow" of polar vortex weather we are expecting. I am so ready for better weather.
Think I need a bowl of ice cream, after dad gave me the news I couldn't eat.
Have a good safe evening all,
JCKitty

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:48 pm

Hello all,

I left the house this morning to light snow falling, but it had stopped 1-1/2 hours later at the end of my early morning meeting.

I just put money on 4/5 children's lunch accounts... I keep failing to remember to go to the school lunch offices to do, and have decided that perhaps the $1.49 fee (each) is worth it so they have the money in their accounts for food.

I put in 2-3 loads of laundry after work tonight, and hope to get one more in before bed; I need work pants & pj's washed.

Dinner tonight was One Pot GF tomato-macaroni w/ cheese sprinkled on top & mixed green salad. There's enough leftovers for a few lunches of my servings, or 1-2 of Dh servings.

Today I simmered my ham bone to get off remaining ham; tomorrow, I hope to cook white beans & dried minced onions in ham drippings, then will add chopped ham (and maybe grated carrots) for ham & bean soup. IF I'm very lucky, there will be enough leftovers of that soup for another day.

Today I'm thankful for our little bit of snow.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 pm

LittleMiss, they decided to close down the church where I work tomorrow in anticipation of an icy day.

I brought a big box of stuff home with me to work on, but it will be nice to sleep in. I've been very fatigued -- a side effect of some medication -- and need the rest.

Today was a very frugal day, as I brought breakfast, lunch and coffee to work, and lunch was some delicious leftovers. No money spent, either.
Mackie