Daily Check In January 31, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 31, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:22 am

Morning.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 31, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Slight warm up this morning so it looks like I won't freeze when I head out the door to run my errands at some point this morning.

We tweaked our budget for this month and year (Hubby likes to keep running totals of how much we have spent and how much we have left). Total budget has gone up but not by that much. I am hoping that we can stay way under total budget.

I have made my list and will be sticking to it. There are a few new items on the grocery list for me to try (vitamin D3 and kale) but little or no deviation from what is on said list is going to take place. This will be the last of the receipts for the month of January.

The rest of my day is my normal Thursday routine with a stop off to get the mail (been way too cold to walk up and get it) either on the way home from my errands or if it warms up some more so your flesh does not freeze in 30 seconds a lovely short afternoon walk.

Continuing on the projects that use things up that have been around for awhile (the hand quilting is using up some threads that have been around for awhile) and going through recipe books for new and exciting ideas. Well not too exciting as while I am an okay cook, I am not a gourmet type cook. Things around here need to be pronouncable and the ingredients easy to find... My store just got in Chinese 5 spice in the last few months!!!

I did a bit of decluttering yesterday. Nothing was removed but space was made in my cupboards to hold all my K cups in one place. My fancy glass coffee cups are now somewhere else. I don't use them often, but when I am feeling down I pull them out and smile. I think I might continue the declutter today and see what else I can rid myself of.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and sandwiches. I have some soup in the freezer that needs using, and as I need more vitamin D3 and calcium I am going to make salmon salad sandwiches to go along.

Today I am grateful that while my bones have gone slightly (okay more than slightly) bonkers on me there is still a way that can improve the outlook.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 am

Good morning all.

Hope everyone is getting through this cold spell OK. Today is supposed to be our coldest day in the area with temp right now at 1 degree; windchill -15. It's supposed to go up to around 17 degrees (-5 windchill). Still brutally cold as far as I'm concerned, but I have no plans to go out. It's supposed to start going up over the weekend with temperatures in the high 40s, mid-50s next week --- Spring!

Got a surprise phone call from my nephew last night. I learned later that he had actually called his mom, but since she didn't answer, I guess he wanted to talk to someone so he called me. I was glad to hear from him no matter how it came to be that he called. He is just so different from his sister although he had his "rough edges" also when growing up.

Room thermometer says it's 78 in here, but it feels cooler, much more like 68 as there is a slight chill. Fortunately, a sweater is doing the job nicely so no additional heat source required.

I have the draft copies of my Fed and State taxes done. I'd like to trust sending them electronically but not having done it before and the risk of having my SS stolen by someone who WILL use it bothers me. It also bothers me that I don't know if I can print a copy from the e-file system used by both the Fed and NYS government. I also read that if you're receiving required minimum distributions you have to provide copies of your 1099s so if e-filing you have to bring them to an IRS office? And then there's the effect of the shutdown.

Today I will be going through the local grocery food flyers and see what I need to buy for the coming week. Since I started meal planning I've managed to keep my food budget the same for the last 3 years.

Tonight I will have that bowl of spaghetti and salad that I was going to have last night. Decided to eat cereal instead.

Well, time to get moving. Have a great day and stay warm.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 am

Jackielou wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 am
Good morning fellow frugalites,

Slight warm up this morning so it looks like I won't freeze when I head out the door to run my errands at some point this morning.

We tweaked our budget for this month and year (Hubby likes to keep running totals of how much we have spent and how much we have left). Total budget has gone up but not by that much. I am hoping that we can stay way under total budget.

I have made my list and will be sticking to it. There are a few new items on the grocery list for me to try (vitamin D3 and kale) but little or no deviation from what is on said list is going to take place. This will be the last of the receipts for the month of January.

The rest of my day is my normal Thursday routine with a stop off to get the mail (been way too cold to walk up and get it) either on the way home from my errands or if it warms up some more so your flesh does not freeze in 30 seconds a lovely short afternoon walk.

Continuing on the projects that use things up that have been around for awhile (the hand quilting is using up some threads that have been around for awhile) and going through recipe books for new and exciting ideas. Well not too exciting as while I am an okay cook, I am not a gourmet type cook. Things around here need to be pronouncable and the ingredients easy to find... My store just got in Chinese 5 spice in the last few months!!!

I did a bit of decluttering yesterday. Nothing was removed but space was made in my cupboards to hold all my K cups in one place. My fancy glass coffee cups are now somewhere else. I don't use them often, but when I am feeling down I pull them out and smile. I think I might continue the declutter today and see what else I can rid myself of.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and sandwiches. I have some soup in the freezer that needs using, and as I need more vitamin D3 and calcium I am going to make salmon salad sandwiches to go along.

Today I am grateful that while my bones have gone slightly (okay more than slightly) bonkers on me there is still a way that can improve the outlook.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie I do not have a recipe but you might want to try to make kale chips. My SIL has been trying to add more healthy foods to their diet and she made kale in to a snack chip in the oven. I would ask her for her recipe but she just got out of hospital in Mexico due to pneumonia They go to Mexico for the winter due to her weak lungs and she still gets sick there.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 am

Good morning. We are still in the deep freeze (4 F) (-16 C) but no wind chill. We had a light dusting of snow here but areas a little west and south of us had a bit more. The warm up is on the way and by the week-end it will be in the 50's and Monday and Tuesday in the 60's.. I can hardly wait.

Not much going on. I did get a lot done in my craft room yesterday and hope by tomorrow it will all be put away. It will need more reorganization later but for now I just want to get things relocated in there from other areas.

I hear the birds pecking away on my deck.. They are loving the suet blocks..and there was enough food on the deck late yesterday for them to start to eat this morning.

Have a good day.. Stay safe and warm. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:44 am

LogicsHere wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 am

I have the draft copies of my Fed and State taxes done. I'd like to trust sending them electronically but not having done it before and the risk of having my SS stolen by someone who WILL use it bothers me. It also bothers me that I don't know if I can print a copy from the e-file system used by both the Fed and NYS government. I also read that if you're receiving required minimum distributions you have to provide copies of your 1099s so if e-filing you have to bring them to an IRS office? And then there's the effect of the shutdown.
Logics, I have been withdrawing minimum distributions for 10 years on two IRA's and I file my taxes with Turbo Tax software and have never had to provide a copy of my 1099 to the IRS. Your financial institution has already provided a copy of the 1099 to the IRS. I have also e-filed from the day I could and I believe it to be just as safe as mailing the forms, I know you would enjoy the convenience.

I think that any system would give you the capabilities of printing off the return, can you look in the help section to see if that is addressed? I love Turbo Tax and I think they offer a free tax filing program.