Daily Check-in Feb 10, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in Feb 10, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:15 pm

MackerelCat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm
Good morning, frugal ones. It's chilly and rainy today in my part of Tennessee. The dogs and DH are all snoozing in the den.

DH and I have been thinking for a couple of years about replacing a broken down microfiber sofa in our living room -- and saving up for it. Friday we took advantage of a President's Day sale and bought a really nice leather sofa that fit the space and our budget for the purchase. We did keep the dogs' chair by the window, where they like to snooze and keep watch. It is not a thing of beauty, but having it keeps them off the sofa.

Otherwise, I spent a small fortune at the grocery store yesterday because we had managed to eat every scrap of leftovers in the fridge and freezer. The fridge was echoing! Since DS has a huge dental bill to pay for, he has been eating at home and saving every penny.

Janet, so glad that Teddi is feeling better. Lots of small breeds have luxating kneecaps, so it is great that you dealt with it right away.
Mackie congrats on the new sofa. Enjoy!

Also congrats on using up your leftovers. My aide told me she did not think she had enough food to get through until her next paycheck however she said she sat down and started to make a list and came up with 31 possible meals that she had not really even thought of. I do that sometimes and it is amazing what we have and once we think about it we can find some way to use it.

Teddi has always looked like he was on springs. For a small dog he could jump really high and jump off of my bed which is an antique reproduction canopy bed and is very high. It is not a good idea to allow him to do that anymore. He cannot have me out of his sight for 10 seconds so if I know I am going to be too gone long I lift him off of my bed.
Janet Alliesmama

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Hellooo Frugals!

If you have to turn 70, this is the way to do it. Got back late Friday night from the cruise and yesterday we had theater tickets in St. Louis and got home late from there - so today is my first real day home.

You Florida folks - hurricanes or no -what a way to live. The weather was insanely perfect while we were there. Mid 70s and light breezes. Key West is stunningly beautiful. And of course - the Bahamas were lovely. I had some trouble getting around because of my back issues. But my nieces were so diligent about getting my needs met and seeing that I got help where it was available. It was a perfect 7 days.

But to be honest - there is nothing like being in your own home and your own bed and your own chair. I've spent today relaxing, fielding phone calls and eating cake. Hubs wanted to go out but I have had so much fancy, rich food for the past week I told him what I really wanted him to do was order by favorite pizza. So that is dinner tonight. Tomorrow - back to reality.

Only other news - I finally at hubs insistence broke down and got a cell phone. I don't need it but everyone seems to be happy I have it. At least the camera works well. I opted for an older model iPhone. It is new but not the latest addition, which would have cost almost $1000 more than mine. Not worth it to me. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

Well off to read the forum and see what you all have been doing for a week. Hope all are doing well and happy. Jumping into frugality with both feet tomorrow. Missed you all - CG.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:56 pm

colonialgirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 pm
Hellooo Frugals!

If you have to turn 70, this is the way to do it. Got back late Friday night from the cruise and yesterday we had theater tickets in St. Louis and got home late from there - so today is my first real day home.

You Florida folks - hurricanes or no -what a way to live. The weather was insanely perfect while we were there. Mid 70s and light breezes. Key West is stunningly beautiful. And of course - the Bahamas were lovely. I had some trouble getting around because of my back issues. But my nieces were so diligent about getting my needs met and seeing that I got help where it was available. It was a perfect 7 days.

But to be honest - there is nothing like being in your own home and your own bed and your own chair. I've spent today relaxing, fielding phone calls and eating cake. Hubs wanted to go out but I have had so much fancy, rich food for the past week I told him what I really wanted him to do was order by favorite pizza. So that is dinner tonight. Tomorrow - back to reality.

Only other news - I finally at hubs insistence broke down and got a cell phone. I don't need it but everyone seems to be happy I have it. At least the camera works well. I opted for an older model iPhone. It is new but not the latest addition, which would have cost almost $1000 more than mine. Not worth it to me. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

Well off to read the forum and see what you all have been doing for a week. Hope all are doing well and happy. Jumping into frugality with both feet tomorrow. Missed you all - CG.
Lynn glad you are home in your own little nest. You are right there is nothing like being back in your own home. Glad you had a wonderful time and that your nieces took such good care of you..However what rotten weather you came home to.
I have a cell phone for when I am out in my car.That is the only reason I have one. You just never know when you might need to call for help if something goes wrong with your car or if something important comes up while you are out and your hubby needs to talk to you right away.
Janet Alliesmama

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 am
Good morning all.

Creative, I don’t know Rick Steves travel programs are shown in Canada. But he is popular here and I get his email newsletter. Just saw that he has a new program on cruising the Mediterranean, Barcelona to Athens. I haven’t watched it yet but thought you’d be interested. You can watch online, hopefully in Canada, too.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-l ... eo/tv-show

I have had a lazy morning but just got an email to meet a friend so now I’m scurrying to fix my hair and hope that my laundry is out of the dryer. I don’t leave the dryer on when I’m not home.

Yesterday was good. I enjoyed the glass show but did not sell my plates. I did get the plumbago at Lowes and also some wall plates for the switch and outlet at mom’s house - and one for my house. I’ll put those on today. I plan to take the penta from my patio and plant it in the ground at mom’s house. The penta I planted at mom’s house from my front step is doing well. Then I’ll plant the plumbago in the pot on my patio. That all won’t happen today, probably Tuesday.

I have a fairly busy week (for me) so plan to relax most of this afternoon and evening.

Hope your cold weather passes quickly. It is very warm here so early and I’m not looking forward to the long spring and summer of 90+ F. and 90% humidity. I should be like Clem and refuse to use the word “hot.”
FloridaCatlover - yes we do get Rick Steves on PBS. But thanks SO much for sending that link which works by the way! I don't have time to watch it now but look forward to it after dinner.

I actually photocopied parts of a book he wrote on Mediterranean ports and places of interest. A friend who had gone on a similar cruise as ours had lent it to me. It has many helpful tips on how to plan your own self-guided tours. I am especially interested in our beginning port of Barcelona and ending port of Rome as we are spending 3 nights in both cities.

I booked our off shore excursions already and am excited about those. Even though I selected the less expensive options I still had a bit of sticker shock when the total came to $972.00 Can for the both of us. I charged it to my Mastercard to rack up some Airmiles. But the nice thing is that we have paid for our airfare, hotels and excursions in advance (along with a hefty down payment for the cruise!) so it won't be quite as painful following the cruise. I can hardly wait! And it will be so heavenly not to have to cook for over two weeks! I've never had a break like that.

Creative

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

It's finally stopped snowing and "warmed" up quite a bit. Currently -12 C but feels like -17C (1.4 F) Feels downright balmy compared to the vortex weather. Warm enough for me to take a 2 mile walk for exercise but did wear a neck warmer pulled over my mouth to keep cozy. Probably looked like I was ready to rob a bank as I also had my hood pulled up!

Dh and I worked on our obscenely high snowbanks by our driveway today as you literally cannot see the traffic as you back/drive out. We shovelled the snow on both sides to the middle part of the boulevard so now the clearance is about 3 feet instead of over 6 feet. This way when dh uses the snow blower it will actually blow the snow high enough that it doesn't fall back down into the driveway. We both donned snow pants as after climbing those banks we almost sank down to our waist. I'm sure the both of us provided comic relief to our neighbours across the street. Part of the banks were very icy and could only be removed by using our ice chisel. We both felt like mountain goats just climbing those banks! So I had no need to do any weight exercises for my arms today.

I managed to scrounge up some makings for dinner and made a mixed bean quesadilla. Didn't have a can of black beans left so mixed bean it was! Also didn't have enough chili powder so added extra cumin and some adobo seasoning that was in the Penzey's spice gift box dd gave me for Christmas. Took a quick taste test and it was fine! Didn't have any sharp cheddar left so substituted with marble cheese. And only four multi grain wraps left so leftover bean mixture will just be served over brown rice. Additional vegetable will have to be steamed peas as we are completely out of fresh veggies! That doesn't happen very often in my house but I do plan to grocery shop tomorrow. I may also put out some black olives. I have saved a LOT on groceries this month by shopping at home first. The 59 cent eggs just blow me away! I pay $5.99/dozen - granted that is for organic brown, free run eggs. Dh is very particular about his eggs so for us it's worth it.

Have a great evening everyone!
Creative

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:06 pm

littlemiss63 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:43 pm
IC, I had no idea of how expensive pet care had become until I started seeing Mr. B. His Layla was his deceased wife's dog and he spends a small fortune on that little cutie. He has her put to sleep to have her teeth cleaned and he told me that he had it done last week and it was $250.00. It doesn't cost that much to have my own teeth cleaned. She will only eat a certain kind of food and it's something that he buys at Pet Smart and I know he buys it by the case because I guess they have problems keeping it in stock, so lots of people must be buying it for their pets. I know since I've known him he's spent at least a $1,000 on taking her to the Vet as she has liver problems and seems to be prone to have a bout of some kind every three or four months. He has her groomed every 3 months as well and that is close to a $100.00 each time, add in the shots and you've got yourself an expensive little creature. She's the love of his life tho and honestly I hope he never loses her for I don't know if he could handle it. I wish he loved me as much as he does her. LOL

He will not even put her in a kennel to leave her overnight he's so particular with her. I asked him why and he says she'd be afraid and he couldn't stand that.

Hate to hear about your MIL.
LittleMiss, looking at my 2018 budget, last year I spent $1,156 on Pippi’s vet visits and Rx food. (I had budgeted $800.) That does not include the $320 for petsitting which would have been much more except most was done by my neighbor. But I’m like Mr. B and most pet owners in that I would spend twice that amount for my sweet girl.