Daily Check-In: 2/12/19

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Daily Check-In: 2/12/19

Post by colonialgirl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks L Wolff - I did have a lovely time and birthday. Now comes the back to reality phrases.Boo, hiss!

Morning frugals - spending my day paying bills, gathering tax things and doing laundry. Go ahead - admit it - you are eaten up with jealousy. Well - I don't know what to tell you. Thus are the lifestyles of the frugal and obscure.

I may make some potato soup for supper. Am a little overdosed on rich food and want something simple and of course warming on this snowy day.

Off to hit it. Trying to get on a morning schedule of being up by 9:00 a.m. so I can get more accomplished and have meals at regular times for hubs. Gotta tell you all - I do not get the attraction of mornings. Getting up early blows.

Have a good frugal day!
CG

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 am

Oh, so sorry to hear you took a fall, Janet. We all need to be more careful with each passing year.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am

Good morning all,

There is good and bad today. The bad is that kitty cat is feeling worse. I called the vet yesterday and they could not see her until late today. They were booked and a vet short. I considered the emergency vet, but we decided against it. The biggest reasons was that our local vet handled this yearly thing so wonderfully last year and kitty pulled through. An emergency vet might do more harm than good if I could even get in. The population growth here has overwhelmed all services. It is scary. I had the tummy medication from last year and I am giving to her that as well as broth and water via syringe. So hard to know what is best. But hubs and I agree on this and when we agree on something from our different points of view, it is usually the right course of action.

The good is the energy bill. We reduced our energy use by 5 kilowatt-hours/day from last year this month. Of course, we will never save enough to justify the insulation and windows, but we have reduced our "environmental footprint" a bit more and that is good for the earth.

Today, rain is expected late in the afternoon. I only have 2 more cans to fill with leaves to get my quota for pickup. That will be easy to do. Yesterday, I picked up many sticks and made hubs a fire in the fire pit. He likes to sit in front of fires in the pit. He says it relaxes him. Well, a win-win. He enjoyed it and I got rid of a lot of sticks.

I was upset about not getting kitty into the vet, so I went shopping for fresh vegetables. I love fresh vegetables. And luck was with me. Manager specials at Save-a lot. 2/88c cucumbers, 50c/lb tomatoes. Then at the produce stand, beautiful, huge cauliflowers for $1.50 and big, crisp romaine lettuce. Oh I was so happy. Gorged on cucumbers for late lunch and then more cucumbers and tomatoes for dinner. An avocado on the side. Hubs had steamed cauliflower in cheese. What a wonderful night of food.

Today, I am grateful for fresh vegetables. Food, glorious food. Have a good day everyone.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am

Jackielou wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:25 am
Good morning fellow frugalites,

When I saw the date, I thought for a moment it was the second day of the twelfth month and wondered where the rest of the year disappeared to. Then I remembered that was how Americans short formed the date. Whew, thought I had slept the year away.
You made me laugh a little.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am
Good morning all,

There is good and bad today. The bad is that kitty cat is feeling worse. I called the vet yesterday and they could not see her until late today. They were booked and a vet short. I considered the emergency vet, but we decided against it. The biggest reasons was that our local vet handled this yearly thing so wonderfully last year and kitty pulled through. An emergency vet might do more harm than good if I could even get in. The population growth here has overwhelmed all services. It is scary. I had the tummy medication from last year and I am giving to her that as well as broth and water via syringe. So hard to know what is best. But hubs and I agree on this and when we agree on something from our different points of view, it is usually the right course of action.

The good is the energy bill. We reduced our energy use by 5 kilowatt-hours/day from last year this month. Of course, we will never save enough to justify the insulation and windows, but we have reduced our "environmental footprint" a bit more and that is good for the earth.

Today, rain is expected late in the afternoon. I only have 2 more cans to fill with leaves to get my quota for pickup. That will be easy to do. Yesterday, I picked up many sticks and made hubs a fire in the fire pit. He likes to sit in front of fires in the pit. He says it relaxes him. Well, a win-win. He enjoyed it and I got rid of a lot of sticks.

I was upset about not getting kitty into the vet, so I went shopping for fresh vegetables. I love fresh vegetables. And luck was with me. Manager specials at Save-a lot. 2/88c cucumbers, 50c/lb tomatoes. Then at the produce stand, beautiful, huge cauliflowers for $1.50 and big, crisp romaine lettuce. Oh I was so happy. Gorged on cucumbers for late lunch and then more cucumbers and tomatoes for dinner. An avocado on the side. Hubs had steamed cauliflower in cheese. What a wonderful night of food.

Today, I am grateful for fresh vegetables. Food, glorious food. Have a good day everyone.
DG, when my Pippi got so sick from the thyroid meds and wouldn’t eat, the only thing she’s take was broth in a pouch. I wish I could remember the exact name, Friskies I think, and Fancy Feast also had their version of the broth. Both had small pieces of chicken or fish mixed in. (I just looked at the Friskies website and couldn’t find it but Fancy Feast still has it.) I know you said you are giving your kitty your home version of broth (I think) but wanted to mention this. I bought it at Winn Dixie (Publix didn’t carry it.) At the time I just happened to have a couple of the pouches on hand because I saw it when checking cat food prices (before Pippi started taking the Rx food) and had bought it on a lark. It was a Godsend and I believe saved her. I ran to WD and bought 20 packs. Later donated what I didn’t use. Good luck with your kitty. I hope she will start eating.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 am

I have been very busy this morning. I stripped my bed the sheets are in the dryer, the mattress pad is in the washer. Next is the quilt. Tomorrow I need to wash the dishtowels. I gathered and put out the trash and garbage.

I finished loading and set off the dishwasher, I did the hand dishes, I still need to finish making the bed.

Thursday is the Valentine Luncheon. I will be attending that, I am trying to encourage my friend to go.

Penny