Daily Check-in February 14, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-in February 14, 2019

Post by clemencia2us »

Fridge is clean - my day is done. Now to relax :mrgreen:
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m back from my outing today. Lunch was at a really nice place called The Library, decorated with books as you’d expect. I had one of my favorites, curried chicken salad.

Conference was super interesting. The Russia panel included a guy, Jamison Firestone, a lawyer who ran a firm in Moscow in the 2000s. In a nutshell, one of his partners was Sergei Magnitsky, who died in a Russian prison after he uncovered a massive tax fraud by the Russian government. The U.S. along with Canada and many EU countries passed the Magnitsky Act putting sanctions on Russia. I’ve heard bits and pieces about this case for years and considered reading a book about it but thought it might be over my head. Very confusing. But now I want to read it. The other panelists were a professor and a journalist who covered Russia for the NYT who now works in Paris for France 24. There were 150-200 attendees at this session. We had no idea it was going to include such high profile speakers.

The other session with the author was OK but her stint as a war correspondent was so long ago that it wasn’t quite as interesting.

Conveniently I received a text that my order of walking shoes was in at JC Penney and I was going right by there on the way home. Also stopped at CVS and couldn’t get my juice but was able to use two CVS coupons on the Maybelline mascara I use and got it for $1.60 and unexpectedly the register spit out a $1 ECB for next time.

Now to relax.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Never forgotten, especially on this day.

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14; Scott Beigel, 35; Martin Duque Anguiano, 14; Nicholas Dworet, 17; Aaron Feis, 37; Jaime Guttenberg, 14; Christopher Hixon, 49; Luke Hoyer, 15; Cara Loughran, 14; Gina Montalto, 14; Joaquin Oliver, 17; Alaina Petty, 14; Meadow Pollack, 18; Helena Ramsay, 17; Alexander Schachter, 14; Carmen Schentrup, 16; Peter Wang, 15.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Broward County, Florida
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 pm Never forgotten, especially on this day.

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14; Scott Beigel, 35; Martin Duque Anguiano, 14; Nicholas Dworet, 17; Aaron Feis, 37; Jaime Guttenberg, 14; Christopher Hixon, 49; Luke Hoyer, 15; Cara Loughran, 14; Gina Montalto, 14; Joaquin Oliver, 17; Alaina Petty, 14; Meadow Pollack, 18; Helena Ramsay, 17; Alexander Schachter, 14; Carmen Schentrup, 16; Peter Wang, 15.

Broward County, Florida
You made a very fitting tribute.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good evening everyone,

I had a very lovely day. Woke up to a beautiful hand crafted card from dh (with dd's help with the photocopied photo of us)and a gift of a stained glass sun catcher. We normally don't do gifts - neither one of us likes the stress of finding something perfect or the aggravation of waiting for hours at a restaurant. But in turn, I had made a very rich chocolate cheesecake for dessert and had cut up some strawberries in the shape of hearts and arranged them on a pretty platter in the shape of a heart. So cheers to simple living! It was still a nice surprise though.

In the afternoon I had a great time with my Fun, Active Babes group. We had a chili lunch and then enjoyed a wonderful sleigh ride with a horse drawn sleigh. Our weather had warmed up so it was comfortable if you were bundled up in snow pants and a winter jacket. Definitely needed a hat! It was SO much fun and I felt like a kid again. It had been so long since I last went. Everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves. We are so fortunate to have so many recreational activities available to those 55 plus.

Happy Valentine's Day all!
Creative
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 pm Never forgotten, especially on this day.

Broward County, Florida
Thanks Florida.