Arthritis in neck and shoulder

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Arthritis in neck and shoulder

Post by SandiSAHM » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Hello again :D

Just a curious question: Do you think those microwaveable rice pack 'warmers' would be any real help for someone with arthritis in her neck and shoulder? My Mom is near 80 and has non-alcoholic fatty liver and kidney issues, so most pain relievers and anti-inflammatories are off the 'ok' list for her.

Do the rice pack thingies stay warm long enough to do, say, an hour of good?

Any info is appreciated!

Quilter51

Re: Arthritis in neck and shoulder

Post by Quilter51 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:09 pm

I would say they last about an hour. I have to ask, are you in a medical state or would your mom try a topical CBD product?

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 pm

She's in a state where the only CBD oil allowed is the hemp-based. If you think that would help, I'll send her some. She is not coping well with the pain at all. I think the current bad weather is making it worse than it usually is, they have a lot of cold and rain right now.

DianeMNurse

Post by DianeMNurse » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 pm

There are prescription Lidocaine patches which I think aren’t metabolized by liver or kidney to any great degree. Maybe they would help?

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:19 am

This may not be of help, but my neighbor had a lot of arthritis in her back and shoulders and wrists etc. It turned out to be an allergy to wheat. When she back off wheat products, the pain decreased and actually went away in some joints.

ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:02 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:08 pm
Hello again :D

Just a curious question: Do you think those microwaveable rice pack 'warmers' would be any real help for someone with arthritis in her neck and shoulder? My Mom is near 80 and has non-alcoholic fatty liver and kidney issues, so most pain relievers and anti-inflammatories are off the 'ok' list for her.

Do the rice pack thingies stay warm long enough to do, say, an hour of good?

Any info is appreciated!
Can’t do anything in the morning without using my rice bag on my hip and back. . Can hardly walk and 1 minute n microwave and within a few minutes I can bend over. I make mine them by putting rice in sock and tying the end closed.