Sunday Feb 17, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Sunday Feb 17, 2019

Post by icfrugal1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:06 am
Good Sunday morning all,

My kitty had to be put down. The vet concluded that she had been poisoned. She said anti-freeze several times although I doubt there is much of that around. I think she walked through a chem lawn treatment. We have a neighbor who has that done. I have been sad and haven't posted as a result. Just felt mopey.

The weather is gorgeous. And I am getting leaves raked and grass cut. Every week, I put out as many garbage cans of leaves as I am allowed. If I am diligent, I should get it done within a month or two. The leaves are still falling. Perfect weather, no need for heat or ac. I am looking forward to losing my winter weight with natural work out/yard work.

I am using up my gift cards. Those cards are a bit of a challenge sometimes. But I keep at it. Hubs has been mopey too, so he hasn't done the monthly budget report yet. We are still waiting on a 1099 to do the taxes.

Today will be housework, laundry and dishes in the morning until the grass is dry and then yard work in the afternoon. Run my irrigation system since no rain is expected.

Today, I am grateful for the wonderful weather. Have a good day everyone.
I'm so sorry about your kitty, I now how much it hurts :cry:

IC

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 pm

DGFlorida, I am so sorry about your kitty. You worked so hard to try to keep her healthy, so it is doubly sad to lose her. (((Hugs)))
Last edited by MackerelCat on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:11 pm

"I may or may not start looking at my taxes. I have everything except the interest statement from my online savings which I need to download. I did print the new weird-looking 1040 form and may put my numbers there to start."

One thing to be aware of...there is a box towards the top of the form where you can check off if you were born before 01/02/54. But you have to look hard in the instructions to find what it is for. as it turns out your standard deduction is $13,600 (if you are single-no dependents) instead of the $12,000 they show on the form.

\DGFlorida I am so sorry about your kitty. Yes I believe cats can get poisoned (even over the long term) from fertilizers, etc. that neighbors put on their lawns. For a long time I assumed my outdoor kitties were safe because we live on a cul-de-sac, no wild dogs, and the fact my kitties stayed on the court. Well the neighbor across from me uses a Tru-Green service periodiclly for their lawn. And I am sure other neighbors fertilize too. I put two and two together when I saw one of my cats drinking water from the gutter (due to sprinkler run-off). The cats I have always kept inside have lived longer. So my conclusion is it is never safe to let your cats be outside even though it's a nice place ad they love it.

Something else a friend of mine tipped me off about; beware of large hawks. My friend freaked out when she saw a hawk swopp down in her back yard and snatch up a squirrel. Her pup is about squirrel sized so she will not let her pup outside at all except to potty under strict supervision. So now I know these predetors can pick up small dogs and cats too. We live in a suburban area where you would not expect this but it happens. So be extra cautious if you live in an area near woodlands, lakes, etc.

Bev

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Good Morning Everyone,

Didn't go to church this morning as it's raining heavily. As slow as I have to walk, I would have been drenched by the time I got into church and not interested in slipping and falling either.

Had a wonderful leisurely day yesterday. Found enough dry wood to build myself a nice fire, got my scubbie yarn out, made myself a scrubbie while I watched a couple more episodes of Downton Abbey and enjoyed watching it rain. I have caught up to where I started watching it last year and it's a good thing for my free subscription ends on the 19th. I also, got my pot of pinto beans cooked and have just made myself a pan of cornbread. I have some instant potatoes and plan on whipping some of those up for my lunch.

Today think I will spend some more time working on my cookbook for the children, since I didn't get it finished for last Christmas, my goal now is for this Christmas. They may not get it until I die. LOL

I wanted to share something that really surprised me. I love Sara Lee products and when I had the luncheon I was afraid that I might not have enough of the cheesecake that I made and I purchased one of Sara Lee's at the grocery store, just to be safe. The recipe that I used was one that my SIL who lives in Mississippi had made at Christmas and she said it was the best she had ever eaten and she's originally from New York. She was telling the truth, as last night I hadn't needed to open the store-bought one for the luncheon and I ate a piece of the Sara Lee one. SIL's recipe was better and the Fresh Strawberry Glaze was wonderful. If anyone wants a really good Cheesecake and glaze recipe let me know and I will post it for you in recipes. I will be using this recipe now for any that I make in the future and change the toppings up. Her daughter made it also and used a caramel topping over whole pecans and she said it was not only beautiful, but delicious.

DGFlorida, let me say first how sorry I am to hear about your cat. When we lived in South Dakota we had a neighbor who didn't like animals and there was a lease law that we weren't suppose to let them run loose. As far as he was concerned since they were on his property he would poison them with antifreeze. Like someone else said animals love it and if you made the mistake of letting your animal get loose and they got in his yard they were pretty well gone. Another neighbor called the police to him, but they would do nothing about it, because they animal wasn't suppose to be there in the first place.We had a poodle at the time and we didn't let him go outside at all without a leash around his little neck.

Clem, there was a story last night on a local crime website that made me think of your friend. https://nbc25news.com/news/local/grand- ... 2MGmNFGXeM

Rinty, I can't tell you how sad your post made me. I am so sorry for Tom, you and your DH. This has to be so disheartening for you that you can't get the help for your child that he needs. God help them, you have more on you than you deserve.

Jackie, glad your son and his kitty made it home safely. I know you will enjoy them being there.

Off to enjoy my lunch and watch it rain,rain, rain.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:06 am
Good Sunday morning all,

My kitty had to be put down. The vet concluded that she had been poisoned. She said anti-freeze several times although I doubt there is much of that around. I think she walked through a chem lawn treatment. We have a neighbor who has that done. I have been sad and haven't posted as a result. Just felt mopey.

The weather is gorgeous. And I am getting leaves raked and grass cut. Every week, I put out as many garbage cans of leaves as I am allowed. If I am diligent, I should get it done within a month or two. The leaves are still falling. Perfect weather, no need for heat or ac. I am looking forward to losing my winter weight with natural work out/yard work.

I am using up my gift cards. Those cards are a bit of a challenge sometimes. But I keep at it. Hubs has been mopey too, so he hasn't done the monthly budget report yet. We are still waiting on a 1099 to do the taxes.

Today will be housework, laundry and dishes in the morning until the grass is dry and then yard work in the afternoon. Run my irrigation system since no rain is expected.

Today, I am grateful for the wonderful weather. Have a good day everyone.
DG, So sorry about your kitty.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm

littlemiss63 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Good Morning Everyone,

Didn't go to church this morning as it's raining heavily. As slow as I have to walk, I would have been drenched by the time I got into church and not interested in slipping and falling either.

Had a wonderful leisurely day yesterday. Found enough dry wood to build myself a nice fire, got my scubbie yarn out, made myself a scrubbie while I watched a couple more episodes of Downton Abbey and enjoyed watching it rain. I have caught up to where I started watching it last year and it's a good thing for my free subscription ends on the 19th. I also, got my pot of pinto beans cooked and have just made myself a pan of cornbread. I have some instant potatoes and plan on whipping some of those up for my lunch.

Today think I will spend some more time working on my cookbook for the children, since I didn't get it finished for last Christmas, my goal now is for this Christmas. They may not get it until I die. LOL

I wanted to share something that really surprised me. I love Sara Lee products and when I had the luncheon I was afraid that I might not have enough of the cheesecake that I made and I purchased one of Sara Lee's at the grocery store, just to be safe. The recipe that I used was one that my SIL who lives in Mississippi had made at Christmas and she said it was the best she had ever eaten and she's originally from New York. She was telling the truth, as last night I hadn't needed to open the store-bought one for the luncheon and I ate a piece of the Sara Lee one. SIL's recipe was better and the Fresh Strawberry Glaze was wonderful. If anyone wants a really good Cheesecake and glaze recipe let me know and I will post it for you in recipes. I will be using this recipe now for any that I make in the future and change the toppings up. Her daughter made it also and used a caramel topping over whole pecans and she said it was not only beautiful, but delicious.

DGFlorida, let me say first how sorry I am to hear about your cat. When we lived in South Dakota we had a neighbor who didn't like animals and there was a lease law that we weren't suppose to let them run loose. As far as he was concerned since they were on his property he would poison them with antifreeze. Like someone else said animals love it and if you made the mistake of letting your animal get loose and they got in his yard they were pretty well gone. Another neighbor called the police to him, but they would do nothing about it, because they animal wasn't suppose to be there in the first place.We had a poodle at the time and we didn't let him go outside at all without a leash around his little neck.

Clem, there was a story last night on a local crime website that made me think of your friend. https://nbc25news.com/news/local/grand- ... 2MGmNFGXeM

Rinty, I can't tell you how sad your post made me. I am so sorry for Tom, you and your DH. This has to be so disheartening for you that you can't get the help for your child that he needs. God help them, you have more on you than you deserve.

Jackie, glad your son and his kitty made it home safely. I know you will enjoy them being there.

Off to enjoy my lunch and watch it rain,rain, rain.

Libby I love cheesecake so when you have time could you please post your recipe. Jan
Janet Alliesmama