Aldi recommendations

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Aldi recommendations

Post by delighted99 »

I'm venturing into a nearby small town that happens to have an Aldi. I've been a few times before and I have a few established favorites such as Nuremberger sausages and some cookies that come from Europe. Any other recommendations? I plan to bring a cooler.
MackerelCat

Re: Aldi recommendations

Post by MackerelCat »

Milk, yogurt and cheeses. Also chocolate!

I like The Fit and Active cereal, nuts, and baking ingredients. Also the produce, if you have more than two people to feed. The canned tomatoes are good. I never buy many canned goods there as we just don't use that many, but all the brands basic stuff: oatmeal, peanut butter, sliced bread, sandwich fixings, condiments, etc, are very good.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

delighted99 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 am I'm venturing into a nearby small town that happens to have an Aldi. I've been a few times before and I have a few established favorites such as Nuremberger sausages and some cookies that come from Europe. Any other recommendations? I plan to bring a cooler.
Well. I'm going to be negative. I do use ALDI but at Christmas I was suckered into a few purchases that seemed special or festive , each one was a great disappointment. I wished I had bought the real thing in a better supermarket.

Fav purchases there are the 6 veggies or fruit on offer which are always good price. I may buy 6 caulflowers are turn them into cauli cheese and freeze them ready for big family dinners. I like the german cookies, the chocolate is cheap and tastes like it ( sad but true ) Their packs of Chinese noodles are VERY cheap and very nice and I like their jars of olives and artichokes, good price.

The place is a bit of a lottery IMO. Stick to basics there is what works for me........like now they have Easter chocolate and its just nasty.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

We have a zillion Aldi stores near us. Since we don't purchase prepared, etc., items the stores are slim pickings for us. BUT I did find that the canned diced tomatoes are excellent.

We buy eggs, milk and diced tomatoes there and that's all. We pick up those items and get out of there. Sometimes they will have produce at good prices but not always so we check these items to see what the prices are when we get there. We found that a shopper has to be VERY careful about what we purchase. We never purchase fresh meat there- no one who works for the store could tell me where the meat is processed and packaged, etc., and that's not a good thing!

Last week we noticed that the zucchini squash was way more than in the large food stores. So I'll repeat - be very careful about prices and quality.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I almost always buy my fruit at Aldi. Oranges, grapes, blueberries, Fuji apples and when mom was alive, bananas. For vegetables I usually buy frozen and I like their California blend - broccoli, cauliflower and carrots - better than the store brand at my other favorite store. Publix.

I buy the 42 oz. old-fashioned oatmeal and sometimes their Millville bran flakes. Prunes and raisins. (I buy the unfrugal small packages of raisins.)

Eggs, soy milk and cheese when I can find a special cheese (usually at the holidays). I used to buy their chicken salad but I’m off that now.

I’ve never bought their fresh meat. Used to buy their deli meat until I realized that deli meat overall is very unhealthy.

I’m not eating much bread now but do like their 12 grain bread which is a real bargain and very good. I keep a loaf in the freezer.

Paper towels and tissues (when they have them). I used to buy their toilet paper but was not happy with the last rolls so I’m trying other brands from other stores.

At Christmas I bought cookies that many here recommended but I did not really care for them. I’m not much of a cookie person except GS cookies.

My store is VERY clean and neat. The other store a few miles away is not as nice. I pass an Aldi on the way home from French class and thought of stopping but decided the neighborhood was too iffy. All this to say the stores vary a lot.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

The nearest Aldi is 76 miles away, no savings are worth this trip. Even free would be too expensive.

I will stick with H-E-B that is about 1/2 mile from my apartment.

Penny