Daily Check in April 11, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Daily Check in April 11, 2019

Post by Quilter51 »

Good morning. Gayle, I am making something called the Dallas top which canbe found on ravelry and I am making it in lavender cotton, I will photograph when I get a chance.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dallas-top

I am ashamed to say that I spend our snowed in yesterday watching TV and in face watched the entire second episode of Secret City except for one episode in a day. the good news is that I did do knitting at the same time. And we had potroast for dinner, made by someone else.

The weather men were a little off, we did not have a bomb cyclonenor a true plizzard, we only got a couple inches. Sun is already full out and while strees and sidewalks are icy but I expect by the time we need to leave the house at like 20 after twelve they will be clear.

This afternoon my gals group is doing afternoon tea. this morning I need to do some online stuff and a teeny bit of organization, someone else is again cooking dinner and I will hit the sack early as I did not sleep my best lst night.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I’m thinking of LittleMiss and Logics.

After eating my breakfast, I decided to scurry around to get ready for a genealogy seminar. But after getting ready, I looked in my genealogy notebook and saw that I attended the same seminar last year. So I’ll pass.

Instead I watered all my plants and will go to the library. I have two books due in a few days. I am waiting for one book on reserve. Since the library is near CVS I’ll run in there for a couple items and maybe pick up another toothpaste at Dollar Tree since there was a .50 coupon in the Sunday paper.

I’ll go to mom’s house but not sure what I’ll do. May not even put out trash because the can is only one-third full. Pushing myself today so it depends if I can get myself to paint.

The 6-part mini-series I’m watching on Prime, The Night Manager, is SO good. I have one episode left to watch tonight. Pretty violent in places but very exciting. Hugh Laurie From House, Olivia Colman (soon to be Queen Elizabeth in the Crown) and Tom Hiddleston are in it.

I’m also watching the PBS series on Civil War Reconstruction. I saw a preview of it on Sunday Morning. There are four one-hour episodes so not too overwhelming. I’m watching it on the PBS app on Roku. (I’m a PBS donor so I may have earlier access.) The Columbia University professor from my online Civil War class a few years ago is one of the “experts” interviewed.

Anyone hear of an Instant Immersion Heater for heating water for tea, coffee or whatever? You put the gadget in the cup of liquid and then plug it in. I’m going to try it since I don’t have a microwave. I found it in a box of extra kitchen gadgets at mom’s house. Still in the little case with the hang tag (looks old) and a price sticker of .25 (garage sale I’m sure).

Have a good day.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Floridacat, we used those in our college dorm rooms...were supposed to be "illegal" but everyone did it even the RA!!

Thinking of LittleMiss and hoping we hear good news from Logics today.

I am coming off a big episode of fibro, complete with a bad bout of "gut screw" yesterday. Hope not TMI. Today feel better but so weak feeling, I will keep going as movement and activity seem to loosen the sore muscles.

It is very windy, chilly but supposed to warm up a lot this early afternoon. Then tonight high winds and storms, yuck I hate high winds. I may pick and bring in some daffodils because if we get bad weather it will destroy them.

Last nights pot roast, and roasted potatoes and carrots were a big hit with dad, he ate real well and then sat and talked for quite some time. It was awesome.
Tonight BLT's, fresh green beans with sausage and potatoes and salad. I also want to put together a seafood salad, I like to let the flavors meld before eating. Saturday evening supper will be Chinese take out because we have an outing planned and I can't count on being home in time to cook a meal.

Tomorrow I need to bake bread, clean for the weekend and make sure all laundry is done...I love having weekends with no large home chores to do.
FloridaCat I am watching the Reconstruction series on Sundays....love it so far. I have to say learning a lot also because it was REALLY glossed over when I was in school. I love history.

Have a great day all,
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Beautiful spring morning

The sun is shining and it is nice and cool. Slept with the window half open - nice and chilly. Slept great under the light fleece blanket

It is after ten and i am just getting dressed for the day. I tell people that Thursday is my day off

Walked again last night. Felt great, but feel that my walking partner might not keep up

Didn't realize she has gained a lot of weight. It doesn't really show on her, but it is there

And boy she is sensitive to everything - sun, wind, dust - things you will encounter out on the trail. Oh well - will see how long this lasts.

Have a great day all
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon all,

Dh and I went to the gym this morning and I have a free fitness sampler for women to try out this afternoon. I am certainly getting in my fill of exercise! We ate a simple lunch at home - veggie/fruit smoothies, peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread and fresh fruit. Also herbal tea and water.

We are expecting yet another major snowstorm! It just seems this winter never wants to end. Southern Minnesota has already been hit but I am hopeful it may miss our area. It doesn't look like it will snow anytime soon.

Everything has been going well. It looks like my sister is enjoying her time in Ireland. Right now she is staying in the ancestral village of my Dad's side of the family. There are still families with our same surname living in this village and in the surrounding area. But because it's so many generations removed, it's hard to figure out the connection if any. It's an area of Ireland with a lot of rivers, pretty lakes and waterfalls. The spring blossoms there are in their full glory!

No money has been spent today aside from the cost of gas and the usual house operating costs. Hopefully I will keep it that way and refrain from going out for coffee following the sampler. I will bring along a water bottle filled with filtered water from our tap.

Have a good day everyone!
Creative
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

I am subbing, still at the HS, for a 10th grade English teacher today. Some of the boys in 2nd hour were saying crude stuff, trying to get a rise out of me... well I did raise my eyebrows, then told them to do their assignment, "Mrs Jackson, you're no fun." Agreed, now back to your group quiz. :D

We awoke to snow, perhaps 1/2 an inch, and it has continued to snow lightly all day, although it's not sticking any longer. Our high is to be 42, low tonight about 28F; Realfeel outside right now is 31*F.

Dd8's softball games were cancelled tonight, as was dd6's baseball practice. Well dd6's practice was moved to tomorrow night, same time & place.

I just called to get a refill on my inhaler, I have 2 puffs left on my bedroom drawer inhaler. Dh thinks I am silly for keeping several around, but I really like having one next to the bed, and I really Don't want to remove the one from my Sub bag, or my knitting bag, or my church purse because I do not always remember to put them back (or I have to send myself text msgs or have an alarm on my phone to help me remember). I just like knowing one is where I need it, at all times.

It sounds like the teachers upstairs are bowling... perhaps its Mr Madsen's chemistry students doing a lab again, they do some really interesting ones.

I did look at my fabric last night to determine what to use for girls' Easter & summer dresses, then looked at patterns. I may combine 2 patterns, and give each dress a knit-fabric bodice & cotton/woven fabric skirt, that way I can avoid needing zippers- which I detest putting in (I detest buttons too).

I crocheted a lot on dd6's scarf yesterday, and am on the final row of pink dc. I did find a partial skein of yellow to use for the sc edging... it is a thin yarn so I'm debating doubling it, but don't know if there is enough to do that. I may pull out another yellow skein and use those 2 strands together, though the 2nd skein will be a slightly different color. Either way dd6 won't care.

For dinner tonight, I put dried black beans in my crockpot in hopes that they cook (have before) by the time I get home today. If so, then I will make Black Bean Chili soup. If not, then we'll have leftovers, or pancakes, or both.

Today I'm thankful for the means to feed my sewing, knitting, & crocheting addictions. :D I wish that I could find the mail coupons from Joann's for this week & next week, I think I want stretch velvet for the Easter dress bodices, and I need a light-blue satin for dd8's Easter dress.