Daily Check in April 17, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in April 17, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Thanks everyone, I managed to pass! No I am ready for my vacation. I need to pack. But I won't have that cert hanging over my head.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

Am trying this again, I lost my post just as I was trying to submit it 2 hours ago. :(

Sunny morning, though it rained crazy hard in the night. I had the window open for part of the night, but the rain pinging against the AC unit outside the window kept waking me.

Dd6 insisted on staying home another day from school, so I had to cancel today's Subbing job -- I pray that another Sub picked it up as it is at one of the middle schools. Ds14 injured his back (either popped or tore muscles) last night helping ds11 practice baseball, so he is is lots of pain and not attending school today either. I must remember to call or email to excuse them both from school.

Because ds14 is hurt, I guess it is up to me to wash his week's-worth of dishes, I know ds16 & dh won't do them. I'll get them going after I post this, but before I make my GF bread... I need to see a few clear spots on my counters & sinks (I should carry down emptied canning jars too, on my way to & from laundry/sewing room).

My subbing job for tomorrow has been cancelled due to rain on baseball fields... I hope another pops up, if not, it will be another day to sew, do laundry, etc.

Today I plan to cut-out, then sew on girls' dresses -I decided to go with fabric I already have, and NOT make fancier dresses, but I did buy 1 yard of blue knit as it matches fabric for dd8's dress better than what I have, plus bought ribbon for waistbands. I'm using a pattern I already have, but will attempt to mimic this pattern: https://www.youcanmakethis.com/products ... 5-10-years . However, I'm going to make the bodice of the dresses from knit, then the skirt will be cotton/woven fabric. Am crossing my fingers that my idea works!! :D

Last night as I was waiting for sleep, I was thinking of how to use this same pattern (without using knit this time) to make dresses for girls for Fall or Christmas -- I have several large pieces of pretty baby-corduroy fabric I could use.

Today's chores will be cutting out & starting to sew girls dresses, cutting out 10-1/2" blocks of fabric for ds16 & 14's quilts, making GF sandwich bread (and maybe making GF muffins and/or donuts), laundry, cleaning bathrooms and/or walls, and maybe crocheting to finish 1 of 2 scarves in progress.

Last night at dd8's softball practice I discovered that I CAN crochet with gloves on, I just can't go as fast as I can without. IT was VERY cold, with wind blowing across the valley, and I was glad I'd grabbed my Norwegian-made coat with water-proof shell (apparently wind-proof too).
WE have had our furnace off for a few days, and with temps on the rise again (though hopefully it's a gradual rise so the mountain snow doesn't melt very quickly, we definitely Do Not need floods, our house would be wiped out!), we might not need it again this season.

Thanks to the past week of rain, our yard is greening up nicely, although that means that weeds are showing too, so I hope to get Dh to start my tiller for me on Saturday so I can till veggie garden, and get spring veg planted (just onions, carrots, & spinach, though maybe parsnips??). I need to get out in my flower beds too, the grass is creeping in, and there might be more weeds out there than flowers. :(

I'd better get going. I've also discovered 2 days ago, my 3-drawer plastic dresser is full of fabric & sewing notions, not the crafting stuff I'd orginally thought. I also found several pairs of "stick" knitting needles in one of the drawers, and will add the 5 pairs of "stick" knitting needles I bought at thrift store to the ones there -- the ones I bought are larger, and I think I'll start teaching dd8 knitting basics, as i was about her age when I first learned.

LOL, if I get extra ambitious today, and get dresses mostly finished, I will also cut out shorts patterns, and cut out nightgowns for girls. I ought to hunt out fabric to make badly needed sleep pants for ds11, he wears boys size 12 waist with 14/16 length.

Dinner tonight will be figured out later. I may scrub out crockpot & slow-cook remaining venison steaks with garlic & onions,and serve over rice & steamed veg.

Time to get moving. Today I'm thankful for this day to cut-out dresses & sew. I often have to snatch a few minutes here & there, in-between working, household chores, and shuttling children around.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

mbrudnic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 am Thanks everyone, I managed to pass! No I am ready for my vacation. I need to pack. But I won't have that cert hanging over my head.
Hurray!! Congratulations!!

When will you leave on your trip to Italy? Are you going other places besides Rome?
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

is the shotgun buyer that woman that they keep identifying as an 18 year old?

I'm thinking, that is the oldest 18 year old i have ever seen!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I am home after our weekly breakfast

Think i will just nap this afternoon

ugh - so sleepy
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Maggie, congrats on your test. Now enjoy your wonderful trip.

Clem, are you talking about the woman who is obsessed with Columbine? I agree that she looks much older. I haven’t followed the story - just heard it yesterday - but how much do they know about her?