Possible onion shortage or price increase

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Possible onion shortage or price increase

Post by alliesmama4 »

Another forum that I am on said that due to weather there may be a shortage of onions or a price increase. The problem is importing from Mexico as well as weather related problems here there may be shortage with the change over from what is in storage and newly grown onions. Oh no.. I love my onions. I do have dehydrated onions but need fresh for salads and making things like tuna fish salad.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Re: Possible onion shortage or price increase

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's about to become really obvious why DH is the gardener....

Can't you just... grow onions? Even in containers rather than the ground?

I'm trying to remember if my parents grew them. I know my relatives overseas did. I should have paid a lot more attention to all that growing up.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 pm It's about to become really obvious why DH is the gardener....

Can't you just... grow onions? Even in containers rather than the ground?

I'm trying to remember if my parents grew them. I know my relatives overseas did. I should have paid a lot more attention to all that growing up.
Yes you can grow them but still need to have an onion set or root. By the time you grow them the shortage might be over with..lol.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

No shortage of onions around here. See lots of them for sale at the various farmers market

I used to grow them. They were so good!!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 pm No shortage of onions around here. See lots of them for sale at the various farmers market

I used to grow them. They were so good!!
I think it depends on where you live and what your source is.. I have grown them in the past as well but it takes a long time for them to grow in to mature size. I do have wild onions growing in my yard so will be foraging them as needed.
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:54 pm Another forum that I am on said that due to weather there may be a shortage of onions or a price increase. The problem is importing from Mexico as well as weather related problems here there may be shortage with the change over from what is in storage and newly grown onions. Oh no.. I love my onions. I do have dehydrated onions but need fresh for salads and making things like tuna fish salad.
I often grow onions in my summer veg garden, I want to get my veg garden tilled soon just to get onion sets in ground. ;)

I think our onions come from Idaho, but still is sad if there is a shortage. We like onions in lots of our dishes.