Something to look forward to

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

Something to look forward to

Post by randamax »

One of the things I've always thought important in life, is to have something to look forward to. Things off on the horizon for which you can plan and that bring a smile to your face just thinking about them. I know people who don't put this philosophy in to practice and they just don't seem very happy to me. They always seem a little down. It doesn't really take much - just an event or two. For me, that's enough to get my mind conjuring up all sorts of fun ideas!

For a while, it was difficult for me to plan anything. I just didn't have the strength or energy to do things - even fun things. I felt an enormous sense of loss in not being able to do the things I'd always loved so much. The other thing is, it's very difficult to be creative when you don't feel well. It's a bit of a struggle just to get through the normal activities of the day, let alone trying to think of something new and creative. Now that I'm feeling better, my creative juices are flowing and I find just can't stop thinking of things to do, places to go, meals to make, books, music, movies, adventures that await - I can't wait to do it all!

Some of the things on my horizon...

A five concert series that's held at the L.A. County Arboretum from June to September. We have tickets for four of the shows, and the same music organization puts on a free summer kick-off concert at Centennial Square, just outside of City Hall. I already have picnics planned for each show! (That's another post...)

A one week trip to LaConner, Washington in early July. My sister and her husband bought a vacation home up there two years ago and Kevin and I haven't been yet. The house is just off of a boat dock where we can watch the boats pass by. It's also about an hour away from BC, so I think we're going to travel up there for a day of sight-seeing, too. Her husband's family lives in Seattle and my nephews are going to school up there, so there will be a big family gathering or two while we're up there. I have a couple of things planned to help make it even more fun. We are going to ship an electric ice cream maker up there as a housewarming gift. One of the nights I'll set up a sundae bar for everyone to enjoy. The other thing I'm planning is a wish ceremony. I bought a package of wish paper to take with us and we can all make our wishes and let them fly into the night sky. I can't wait!

Some neighborhood gatherings. I'm thinking the first gathering of the season - probably around mid-May, will be an ice cream taste test. Three brands of vanilla ice cream, which one is the winner. I'll have a table full of toppings to go with, or not, and I'll make up score sheets. We can all get out and enjoy the sunshine, have a little bit of fun, and talk about what our next event will be. We usually try to do at least one big BBQ and a couple of outdoor movie nights. We have several new neighbors, so we'll see what shakes out.

A big birthday celebration for Kevin (my hubby) who turns 50 this year! I started planning it in January and I've got all kinds of things in the works! He is in two different bands and I thought it would be fun to have each band play 5 or 6 songs. The party will be held outdoors in our front yard/driveway area. All of our neighbors know he plays drums, so they won't be too shocked. Besides, they'll all be invited to the party. It will be a fun time, and I know he'll love it.

I thought of a really fun 'experience' gift for my mother in law for Christmas. Part of the gift is visiting the top nine places in L.A. that serve this type of Mexican coffee that she loves. I have a gift basket already created in my mind and the rest of the gift is the three of us going once a month to one of the places listed in the article. She'll be thrilled! Kevin thought it was a great idea, too!

So what's on your horizon? What are you looking forward to?
2dogs+someCats

Re: Something to look forward to

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Randa, my mom has always said that everyone needs to always have something to look forward to and I agree. I find that I take joy from having the simplest of things to look forward to:
* seeing my coworker's new baby
* the start of Farmer's Market season
* Poetry Night at the Library
* Art class at the Library
* Book club at the Library (hmmmm...theme here!)
* Music in the Park season in our town
* Having a debt paid off (two more payments to go!!!)

Enjoy your events!!
randamax

Post by randamax »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm Randa, my mom has always said that everyone needs to always have something to look forward to and I agree. I find that I take joy from having the simplest of things to look forward to:
* seeing my coworker's new baby
* the start of Farmer's Market season
* Poetry Night at the Library
* Art class at the Library
* Book club at the Library (hmmmm...theme here!)
* Music in the Park season in our town
* Having a debt paid off (two more payments to go!!!)

Enjoy your events!!
Thank you, Sheila! I hope you enjoy yours, too! All of those things sound absolutely wonderful. I just love the little things that bring joy to our hearts. Life is so good!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Randa~
That is such an amazing list of fun things to look forward to! Such great ideas.
I also love to look forward to things.
First up for me is Easter.
Spring planting.
Camping trips.
Kayaking season.
BBQs
Picnics.
SUMMER!!!!
rinty

Post by rinty »

I agree, Randa.

A week long school trip to the seaside. It will be a scream and give me endless tales to tell. :shock: Me and a friend are bunking up together, we did it last year and laughed ourselves sick......

Weekly craft club, its SO MUCH FUN, planning it, fiddling about making demos, LOVE IT.

Camping again, loved it last year.

A B and B getaway with DH ( without the dog !!!!)

Gardening as the weather gets warmer, I love pots and use all kinds of different ones, also like to use vintage bits and bobs, an old wicker kreel, trugs etc. I do the piddling gardening whilst DH does the graft at the allotment. I stroll up and pick the produce.

I love Randas DETAILED plans !
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I do but in the opposite way - :mrgreen:

I will be dreading some event or thing and once it is over - I am happy that i can relax and watch Monk marathons on tv

Thanksgiving - over - thanks

Christmas - over - great - relax

Annual festival - over - wonderful - Monk it is!