Daily Check-In, April 26

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-In, April 26

Post by mbrudnic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:22 am

Hi everyone,

i HAVE ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE WE MEET FOR DINNER. The trip is amazing. Today was Florence. The statue of David was amazing. Tomorrow is a trip to Sienna. Both Mom and I bought leather jackets today. Pretty exciting to me. I have been able to text my boys from the hotels and they are doing well.

Have a great day,
Maggie

ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check-In April 26

Post by ChristmasTrees » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:38 am

LWolfT wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 am
Good morning ....
There's actually sun out there! Though it's still in the 40s.
Mostly productive puttering yesterday before work, did get a load of laundry in during one break.
DH is unhappy about a possible change in work hours ...
Today, couple of errands to run and bills to pay. Anyone ever do a pickup order at Target? Thinking about that in order to take advantage of a deal ...
Yes. I have done a pickup order at Target. Easy!

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am

mbrudnic wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:22 am
Hi everyone,

i HAVE ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE WE MEET FOR DINNER. The trip is amazing. Today was Florence. The statue of David was amazing. Tomorrow is a trip to Sienna. Both Mom and I bought leather jackets today. Pretty exciting to me. I have been able to text my boys from the hotels and they are doing well.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie, Enjoy every minute!

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:44 am

itspennyc wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 am
Yesterday afternoon was difficult. I discovered that one of my neighbors had died several days ago and they just found his body. I may have been the last person to see him alive. When I saw him last he was complaining of shortness of breath.

They did a check on his apartment, the police, fire department etc were here.

In happier news I am now knitting the second leg of the Sock Monkey.

Not really much else is new.

Penny
Penny,
So sorry about your neighbor.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 am

Sorry about your neighbor, Penny.

Glad you are having a great time, Maggie.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:47 am

Good rainy Florida morning frugal folks.

I slept poorly last night. I had a dream that I was trying to stop an old friend from throwing a lot of useful things away. And the trash collectors were coming. Since it looks like a rainy day, I may be able to nap this afternoon. The pest control people have canceled exterior ant spraying today due to the rain, so the day is empty. I have emptied and cleaned the pantry shelf that I plan to paint with the dab of red paint. It feels frugal to use up the little bit of paint and refresh a shelf at the same time.

I have less food in the house than usual and I am discovering that it makes me feel uncomfortable. No doubt from my childhood and my mother's fears. She knew hunger in the Depression and tended to hoard food as an adult. Of course, there is food in the house and a store nearby, but it is an odd feeling. Tonight, we will have chili and use up the last can of beans that is due to expire in August. That makes for a fresh start of food for hurricane season. It will also use up the last of the ground beef. I have the last turkey breast in the refrigerator thawing. Probably Sunday on that. So chili tonight. Fish tomorrow night and turkey on Sunday. Then meals will become a bit more interesting on Monday and Tuesday.

A lot of people on social media sure seem to be hateful and judgemental right now. I will ask a person why they said such a hateful thing to someone and the reply is "they deserved it." Or "why should I be nice to them?" I also find some people seem to be looking for a fight over trivial things. Hate is such a waste of energy and it just seems to destroy the person hating. I am grateful for my gardening and butterfly groups and pictures of flowers and flutters.

Today, I will head over again to Home Depot and get more landscape timbers on sale and some more concrete blocks. I have started laying out the blocks for the raised garden/flood barrier in front of the lake facing porch. I need a minimum of 20 more to build a minimum flower bed/flood barrier. Realistically, I can carry 6 at a time along with the timbers. And since I will be going to Home Depot, less than a mile away, several more times until the timber sale ends, I can get blocks every time. Home Depot is an easy stop whether I am going south to save a lot or east to Walmart market.

Today, I am grateful for the peace in my heart. Have a good day everyone.