Prices are Rising

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Prices are Rising

Post by Jackielou »

ohjodi wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:55 pm The car is paid off, and they said they'll "start thinking" about getting a minivan. That means two years from now, maybe, lol

An SUV would be difficult because my stepmom is pretty small, and I also have a hard time getting in because both my knees are so bad. You have to hoist up into an SUV, but with a mini-van it's kind of an even move into the seat.

Their stairway is likely too narrow for a chair lift, and there's a tight 180* turn half way up.

They need to sell the house and move. They're in the middle of Nowhere Northern Wisconsin. That old house and three feet of snow will be the death of them.
What do you consider small? I am now 5'4" (shrunk over the past oh...30 years) I used to be 5'5" and hoist myself in and out of the SUV. My mom was 5'2" and managed to get in and out just fine.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

SUVs come in all different sizes. Smaller ones do not require hoisting. I gave up a RAV4 for a Nissan Murano which is exactly at the height of my particular being so no stepping up or down. You just have to check the specs.

In an average crash SUV riders and drivers have a 50 percent higher survival rate. In a rollover that's not true but most crashes are NOT rollovers.
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

As much as we drive, we cannot afford a SUV. We have two Toyota corollas. My husband does have a full size pickup truck for hunting, hauling and to pull the boat.

An Aldis is supposed to be built near my Mils house which is about an hour and a half away from us. I can't wait to check it out. The closest one now is about 3 hours away.

I try to combat higher prices by combining store coupons with sales. Yesterday, I had a 10 off 50 at Winn Dixie. I was able to get four large pork roasts as well as several other items for forty dollars. At least three of the roasts will be used at my stepdaughters wedding reception. I also used a 5 off 25 at Dollar General.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have a Honda Fit, which is a small compact car that gets high mileage per gallon. Gas has gone up nearly 60 cents here in a short time, so that's an extra $6 to fill my tank.

DH has discovered a new grocery store he loves, but the prices are much higher than at those I shop at. I am going to have to put my foot down on his excursions for fancy cheese and nuts to the new high dollar store.

Sometimes I don't notice price increases for a long time because we don't pay full price or buy new unless we have to, but those two incidents are standing out.

I need to have a word with the church I work for because the tabloid size paper they prefer for Sunday worship bulletins is now $70 for a case of five reams. Come summer, I want to use up the stash of legal size paper to save some money.
Mackie
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Quilter51 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 am SUVs come in all different sizes. Smaller ones do not require hoisting. I gave up a RAV4 for a Nissan Murano which is exactly at the height of my particular being so no stepping up or down. You just have to check the specs.

In an average crash SUV riders and drivers have a 50 percent higher survival rate. In a rollover that's not true but most crashes are NOT rollovers.
A smaller SUV might be suitable for my stepmom, but not my tall dad. And my bad knees, lol

What gives tall people trouble is the width of the door, and the relational depth of the foot well. On some vehicles I have to really bend my legs at the knee and still have trouble getting my feet through the front of the opening to get in and out. And my left knee barely can bend.

On some, in order to get out of the front passenger seat, I end up standing on my right leg, hang on to the top of the door, and using my cane so I don't fall over, I have to twist my hips and torso and literally drag my leg out of the vehicle.

When getting inside, I often have to lean way over to the middle of the car to get the 2nd leg inside. And I'm only 5'10". My dad is 6'3".

Some vehicles have a wider door, so there's more room to get your legs in. And a larger vehicle does not mean larger and wider doors.

Anyway, my point is that getting in and out of any SUV and mini-van might be easy for some, but really hard for others, and we can't say one is better than the other because ALL vehicles are different with respect to the width of the doors.
ohjodi
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Quilter51 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 am SUVs come in all different sizes. Smaller ones do not require hoisting. I gave up a RAV4 for a Nissan Murano which is exactly at the height of my particular being so no stepping up or down. You just have to check the specs.

Quilter, a Murano is what I have and I love it.