Prices are Rising

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
nbeaver

Re: Prices are Rising

Post by nbeaver »

For those having trouble getting in and out of a vehicle, this might help some of you: https://www.mobility-aids.com/deluxe-sw ... shion.html . My dad, paralyzed on the left side for 17 years, used one of these, and it was a big help to him.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

BevMoore wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:29 pm "Driving less is probably the best way to save or buying a Prius or other low-fuel vehicle. Americans love their trucks and SUVs, however. No trade policy will make U.S. vehicles attractive overseas in my opinion."

Gas here in Cali now costs us $4.00 per gallon. I can get it for less at Sams Club or Costco.

The reason we all love our trucks, SUV's and vans is because we feel safer in them. There are so many idiots and nut jobs out on the road that if someone is involved in a crash that person is more likely to survive or be injured less seriously due to the size of the vehicle. That is why we won't give them up regardless of what gas costs. The only thing we can do is drive less (which people here do not want to do).

Bev
Our SUV holds all 7 of us, but I will be driving Dh's 1995 T-bird more too, as its mpg is better than everything else we own.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

delighted99 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm Just my two cents on the car vs. SUV discussion..

SUVs have a higher center of gravity and are more likely to tip over if one is taking a fast turn. I'll pass. :)

Also, the size of a car doesn't necessarily mean safer. Today's cars have driver's side, passenger side airbags, are designed with crumple zones. I don't buy the smaller cars are automatically less safe argument.
It depends on which one you buy. Our ford Expedition is lower to the ground than our Suburban was. I try to avoid making fast turns anyhow.

However, I do LOVE the deeper footwells, necessary for my 6'1" self to stuff into the front seat.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:33 pm DH has discovered a new grocery store he loves, but the prices are much higher than at those I shop at. I am going to have to put my foot down on his excursions for fancy cheese and nuts to the new high dollar store.
Aldi's has A LOT of fancy cheeses, at amazing prices. Lots of imported cheeses.....and around halloween they have cheeses that are aged in Transylvanian caves, LOL
ohjodi