Prices are Rising

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Prices are Rising

Post by colonialgirl »

Another reason people want SUVs. They accommodate the aging population. Getting in and out of a sedan is almost impossible when my arthritis is flaring. I don’t think I would ever go back to another kind of vehicle. I think they are popular because they meet today’s drivers needs.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

ColonialGirl:

You are totally correct about getting into and out of a sedan. I simply cannot maneuver in one with my two types of arthritis. I have been driving a full-size pick-up truck for what seems like forever and I would really hate to go back to a standard vehicle. Hubby has an SUV and it's OK for me but not great. My first taller vehicle was a full-size Bronco and after that I drove an 8-passenger van when I was hauling Scouts to and from camp, etc. Then I discovered trucks. (Cue music!!!)

I've had three trucks - the first two lasted 10 years each. My current truck is three years old now.

It's interesting to see the look on people's faces when I park in the handicapped parking spots and exit my truck with a cane!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 am Another reason people want SUVs. They accommodate the aging population. Getting in and out of a sedan is almost impossible when my arthritis is flaring. I don’t think I would ever go back to another kind of vehicle. I think they are popular because they meet today’s drivers needs.
SUV's and trucks are very popular here. Mind you the use of these vehicles is or was necessitated by the amount of snow we can get at one time. Sorry, sedans just can't always plow through thigh deep snow (been awhile for that). Add in the fact that being mostly a rural (or small city) population of 1 million people and roads just do not get cleared.

Edited to add that the population number I gave is for the whole province. My city population is under 25K and that includes the smaller rural areas around us.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:53 pm Yes, it seems like every time I go food shopping the prices have gone up.
I am SO glad to have an Aldis.
Trees, my closed Aldi is about 25 miles away but I'm starting to think it will be worth the trip!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 am Another reason people want SUVs. They accommodate the aging population. Getting in and out of a sedan is almost impossible when my arthritis is flaring. I don’t think I would ever go back to another kind of vehicle. I think they are popular because they meet today’s drivers needs.
When parents (now 77 yrs old) were buying a new-ish car four years ago, I BEGGED them to get a mini-van. They're older, my dad is very tall (and newer sedans aren't roomy like they were 20+ years ago), he had a bad hip, foot, and back.........and they were going to now be raising three teenage grand kids, two of whom are very tall, also.

But no, no. They bought a sedan, and from day one it's been trouble for them. He's had hip surgery, needs foot surgery, they have to ask a neighbor to take them to and from the dr sometimes. Plus the kids and their gear won't fit.

Just like 15 years ago when i told them, repeatedly since then, to install a bathroom, and maybe a small bedroom, on the 1st floor of their ancient farmhouse, so they wouldn't have to basically turn the livingroom into a bedroom, and nobody would have to do their business in a bucket toilet chair if either of them got sick or had hip surgery, etc and couldn't get up the stairs.....just like grandma had to.

Well, GUESS WHAT. lol
ohjodi
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:46 am Trees, my closed Aldi is about 25 miles away but I'm starting to think it will be worth the trip!
My Aldi is about 30 miles away...but so are the rest of the grocery stores. I heard that Aldi is renovating all of their stores....mine was just done and it is so great! The produce dept. is now huge.