Daily Check In May 4th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In May 4th

Post by rinty »

Happy Star Wars Day !

May the Fourth be with you !

Anyway.

A 3 day weekend so I got up bright and late at 8.45. My initial weekend plans involve a lot of sleep as I am KNACKERED. Also people free as I don't feel social ;)

DH picked up a strange cut of meat which appears to be a quarter of a turkey and all meals are being planned from it, turkey roast/pie/curry/soup/stock/sandwiches or maybe all of the above. I did see a rather OTT chocolate bundt cake on a blog this morning and we haven't had dessert all week and I fancy a bit of cake.

Shopping was done by DH who doesn't deviate from a list unless its a yellow sticker so as we had forgotten to write BREAD on it he didn't bother............MEN :shock: I picked up a big pack of part baked from ciabatta at COSTCO before EASTER so we have that or we could bake some if we really want it.

AS it was a long weekend the school was having to bin those little milk cartons and leftover fruit and veg the government provides for KS1 children on a daily basis. This ek had been tomato on the vine and lovley crunchy carrots. I got a large bag of tomato, at least a pound in weight and we gave the milk to the parish ladies.

I felt very Catholic indeed this week as I was given a display board to do with the subject "Our Lady". I thought, go big or go home, and this was one elaborate board.

It very cold so all gardeners warned not to be previous put stuff in the ground to be killed by frost so yes, there will be gardening but its all clearing, digging, outdoor housework. Which suits me as I intend not to think much as I am SO TIRED.

If we do have the weekend to ourselves I may fiddle and phaff with some crafting, I see things as I prep for Craft Club on PINTEREST that are lovely. The felt unicorns we made this week were absolutely gorgeous. If nothing else I'll make cross stitch gift tags, mini motifs on gift tags I cut out with my SIZZIX, satisfying and CUTE.

WE are off to a camping shop as its something we both fancy doing for a potter this morning. One load of washing on the line , 2 more to do.

I enjoy the blog, IF YOU DO STUFF, STUFF GETS DONE, we have similar to do lists ( realistic ones ! )

The bathrooms need cleaning and I'm doing that washing and ironing. DH washes the floors and hoovers. The house is fine maybe I'll turn out a cupboard for Kicks and Giggles but otherwise we're done.

Maybe cinema using FREE tickets .

Hope everyone is well and happy. I look forward to more trip news from Maggie when you get back.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check In May 4th

Post by Dgflorida »

It is great to hear things are going good Rinty.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good lovely morning frugal folks,

Yesterday was moderately productive and I hope this trend continues. The damaged knee was in a less painful mood and I was able to climb in and out of my raised garden area, dig holes and plant some relatively large plants. So far, so good.

Several short lived, pop up rain showers the last few days have greatly reduced the level of dust in the air. Florida is in its dry season. The rains have also encouraged volunteer flowers to pop up all over the yard. I dig them up and put them in the garden. Free flowers are just as pretty as store bought.

I am going to plant as many of my potted plants as possible in the next few days. It looks like both of us will travel to Texas in July for a family get together. While we will make the trip short, I will feel happier if the plants are in the ground and less likely to dry out. Sadly, my military son will not be back from deployment in time for the get together. But the other two sons should be there.

I have proposed to old dance partner that we travel down to Key West, Fl in August. It is off season there and not yet the peak of the hurricane season. I initially suggested the trip over Christmas since he says he gets depressed at that holiday since he is an atheist. But he has changed his mind(as he often does), so I suggested early August instead. He is doing more travel these days. This month, he is going out to the Grand Canyon with his sister and cousin. He has been there before, but he agreed to go with them. Knowing how well he gets along with his sister, I sent him the free alcoholic drink coupons I recently got from Southwest Airlines. I get them because I travel often on that airline. We also are considering a cruise trip to Cuba in late October. But we won't make a decision on that one until after his Grand Canyon trip.

Today, I will continue to work in the garden. Rain is predicted 40% chance, so I won't do any outside painting. I will continue packing up winter clothes and bedding and putting it in the dry closet. We are down to leftovers in the food challenge for dinner tonight. I do still have a serving of fish and a turkey breast in the freezer. So I don't have to rush to the store. I also have 2 microwave dinners. I generally hold them back for hubs to eat if I don't feel good for some reason. Since we are going out to a free skin cancer screening on Monday, it will be a good time to stop and get a beef roast currently on sale at Winn-Dixie. It feels good to start with a cleaned out freezer.

House temperature is still hovering below ac time despite the daytime high temperatures near or above 90F. No ac means $$ savings. Nice.

Today, I am grateful that I am able to get things done. As one of my favorite says goes, "no matter the speed, forward is forward." Have a good day everyone.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Cloudy here today with rain this evening; supposed to be around 70 degrees. Strange pattern we're in right now - cloudy days, rain at night almost every other day.

Can't imagine where my time goes. My sister rattled off a list of things she did one day and considering what I had done, there was simply no comparison. I do notice however, that she does a lot of housework; far more than me it seems. And her place isn't much bigger than mine. I am definitely not Susie homemaker. I don't do laundry 2x a week, I do it every other week. I don't mop my floors (kitchen and bathroom) every day or every other day like she does either. I do mine on the alternate week when I don't have laundry to do. I do sweep 2-3 times a week but that takes only 5 minutes. She's always moving furniture around. I can't - the muscle damage in my arms puts me at serious risk if I were ever to try to move a 200-300 lb piece of furniture.

My town is having it's annual tag sale today. I've been thinking about going to a few places just to look around as I certainly don't need anything. In fact, I still have a lot of decluttering to do. What I do have to do is pick up my new glasses. I've been using a dollar store pair which I found and have been excellent; I probably didn't need to buy a new pair at all. What I'll do is keep the new pair by my computer which is what they're for and keep the others around my neck for the rest of the time.

I looked into my freezer the other day and decided that I needed to do an inventory and start using what was in it; although I did make two new things this week (tacos on Thursday and stuffed peppers last night). I've printed out 4 months of calendar pages and am inputting what I have onto the pages. Hopefully I'll be refreshing my freezer stock within the next 2 months. I didn't do the inventory of my frozen veggies, but I will be doing that next, once I think of a better way to organize them so that I can find them without pulling/shuffling around every package in there.

I'm looking at the "Sunday ads" as I write this and see advertisements for a robotic vacuum at $160 and a mopping robot for $170 at Target. My floors are so small really that I can't imagine them being worth the cost for me, right now at least. Perhaps when I get another 10 years older they might be useful, cheaper in the long run than hiring someone to do it for me.

This will be a busy week for me as I have something planned for every day with the exception of Friday. I also have to call a couple of taxi companies as I may need to use their service on Wednesday to get to the eye doctor as I won't be able to drive after the procedure.

I also started thinking about all the indoor activities I have and came to the conclusion that I absolutely don't need anything else. I have real books, over 2000 books stored on my kindle; puzzle books (number finds, word search, logic problems, Sudoku). I have my computer with access to everything I could possibly want to do whether it be computer games, my websites, my computer design graphics and painting, watching a movie etc and of course my TV and dvd collection. Whew!

That list has worn me out. Now I just have to force myself to exercise - LOL.

Have a wonderful day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:33 am Happy Star Wars Day !

May the Fourth be with you !

Anyway.

A 3 day weekend so I got up bright and late at 8.45. My initial weekend plans involve a lot of sleep as I am KNACKERED. Also people free as I don't feel social ;)

DH picked up a strange cut of meat which appears to be a quarter of a turkey and all meals are being planned from it, turkey roast/pie/curry/soup/stock/sandwiches or maybe all of the above. I did see a rather OTT chocolate bundt cake on a blog this morning and we haven't had dessert all week and I fancy a bit of cake.

Shopping was done by DH who doesn't deviate from a list unless its a yellow sticker so as we had forgotten to write BREAD on it he didn't bother............MEN :shock: I picked up a big pack of part baked from ciabatta at COSTCO before EASTER so we have that or we could bake some if we really want it.

AS it was a long weekend the school was having to bin those little milk cartons and leftover fruit and veg the government provides for KS1 children on a daily basis. This ek had been tomato on the vine and lovley crunchy carrots. I got a large bag of tomato, at least a pound in weight and we gave the milk to the parish ladies.

I felt very Catholic indeed this week as I was given a display board to do with the subject "Our Lady". I thought, go big or go home, and this was one elaborate board.

It very cold so all gardeners warned not to be previous put stuff in the ground to be killed by frost so yes, there will be gardening but its all clearing, digging, outdoor housework. Which suits me as I intend not to think much as I am SO TIRED.

If we do have the weekend to ourselves I may fiddle and phaff with some crafting, I see things as I prep for Craft Club on PINTEREST that are lovely. The felt unicorns we made this week were absolutely gorgeous. If nothing else I'll make cross stitch gift tags, mini motifs on gift tags I cut out with my SIZZIX, satisfying and CUTE.

WE are off to a camping shop as its something we both fancy doing for a potter this morning. One load of washing on the line , 2 more to do.

I enjoy the blog, IF YOU DO STUFF, STUFF GETS DONE, we have similar to do lists ( realistic ones ! )

The bathrooms need cleaning and I'm doing that washing and ironing. DH washes the floors and hoovers. The house is fine maybe I'll turn out a cupboard for Kicks and Giggles but otherwise we're done.

Maybe cinema using FREE tickets .

Hope everyone is well and happy. I look forward to more trip news from Maggie when you get back.
May and October we celebrate Mary. In the schools here it is more reciting the rosary at a weekly assembly or learning a bit more about her during religion classes.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Not feeling tip top this morning. I slept very well, but am queasy and slightly off this morning. Perhaps things will improve as the day progresses.

I usually leave myself signed into the forum as I am in and out most of the day, but this morning I had to sign myself in again. Hopefully, that was just a slight glitch in my computer.

Cloudy, windy and below freezing this morning. In looking at the weather it said "Snow beginning at 9 am" (wonder how on earth they know the exact time :lol: ) so I will be using the treadmill instead of walking outside. Might as well stay nice and warm instead of freezing my tushie off outside.
]
Frugally speaking this should be another no spend day. I really have enough to do here at home to keep me busy and out of trouble. There is always cleaning (or decluttering found a kitchen scale that no longer works when I cleared the top of the fridge), projects, and of course reading to do around here.

Meals, as is usual will be made from scratch using up what is on hand in fridge, freezer and cupboard. Any leftovers will be used in lunch or as supper tonight (mind you I really don't think we have too many leftovers in there).

Still working on using up cleaning supplies. It seems like buying those huge bottles of Windex, Fantastic and the like does pay off in the long run (have had these for ages as most I kind of use sparingly). That's okay as it gives me time to gather some spray bottles together to make my own cleaners when the time comes.

My fun projects for this afternoon are: working on organizing my fabric a bit better (hopefully losing one plastic three drawer storage container) this morning, and then working on some counted cross stitch. Years ago, on oldest DS's first trip with students he went to England and France. While in England he bought me a miniature cross stitch kit of Elizabeth the first. So I pulled all the old cross stitch patterns out one day, and decided to get this one done. I started it yesterday and it is moving along nicely. Hopefully I can get it completed quickly and put in the frame DS bought to go along with it.

Just ran and checked the fridge re leftovers.....cause tonight was supposed to be a clean out the fridge night. There is nothing but a salad and some baked beans. Guess I will have to figure out a new meal. I am leaning towards using a packet of mix along with some sausage and making a kind of jambalaya type meal.

Today I am grateful that there is really no where I have to be.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/