Stamp Out Hunger, Saturday May 11

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Stamp Out Hunger, Saturday May 11

Post by floridacatlover »

Just a reminder that the U.S. Post Office food collection is this coming Saturday, May 11.

Non perishable items such as pasta, cereal, oatmeal, canola oil, peanut butter and canned goods including beans, fruit, vegetables, soup, tuna in water, meat and sauce. No glass containers.

Many food pantries rely on these donations through the Post Office. In my area donations have lagged in recent years.
Dgflorida

Re: Stamp Out Hunger, Saturday May 11

Post by Dgflorida »

That is good to know. I hope people do consider giving. I did when I was in Houston. I give food to my neighbor to take to her church. Her church has a continuing outreach to a local community that I know is nearby and very poor. I give clothes to a local organization called ECHO. They were the ones that provided so much to people in the area affected by hurricane Irma two years ago.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

This is done here in Saskatchewan in October (around our Canadian Thanksgiving). We also have bags of groceries made up in the stores that we can purchase every week. These items are taken to the Food Bank.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

I forgot to do this. I need to run several cans of food down to the food bank. It is only about a mile from my house. I need to add it to my things to do this week.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I've participated in this for the last couple of years. Used to do one around Thanksgiving sponsored by a local radio station, but they no longer have it.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

At intervals my supermarket does a collection, plus they also have a coupon to allow you to add a cash donation to your order. I usually do that.

Carrying food to a donation point when you don't drive is not easy. I live in an apartment complex. Where many of the residents receive a box of commodities and or food stamps. Last year food left for the drive was taken by someone other than the mailman.

Penny