Daily check in May 13, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily check in May 13, 2019

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Penny, so glad you had a nice weekend with your son and DIL.
Clem, Good advice...regroup. I have to do more of that.
And....yes....I planted too early and was running around late yesterday putting buckets over the plants I couldn't move. Rain and hail.....it's MAY!!!!
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

DD back to work today....so I am able to get stuff done.
So far all of the outside chores are done, 2 loaves of bread made, a strawberry-rhubarb pie made, 3 quarts of rich beef broth made from the prime rib leavings in the roasting pan... trying for no waste takes a lot of time.....but this broth will make good soup base or beef and noodles.
Housework done, next up is watering the inside plants. Laundry is done and I used the dryer because it was grey and dreary outside...now the sun is trying to come out.

Ham and beans for supper, cornbread and slaw on the side. Beans are cooking in the smallest crockpot I own, cooking them in ham broth from Friday night. Will add bits of ham when they are done.

Have to take dads dog to the groomer this afternoon. After supper I hope to rest relax and read.

Might update later...
JCKittyu
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

itspennyc wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:09 am I had a wonderful weekend visit with my son and daughter in law. I didn’t get much chance to rest, I was afraid of missing time with them.

One of my Mother’s day presents was my washing machine. I would much rather have a necessity rather than something I can just look at. I also got a gift card to OutBack Steak House. Plus a wooden yarn bowl with some banana yarn and some wooden knitting needles with . They are beautiful. But I am not sure I will use them.

The knitting needles are the right size for the project but are flexible straight needles the pattern calls for circular needles. I have the size needle I will need.

Penny
Penny congrats on the new washing machine..
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

EEk.. look up in the sky is it a plane, a bird... oh heaven's what is that weird strange glowing orb? They say it is the sun but it has been to so long since we had any I will have to wait and see and adapt.. My brother is still trapped in his ivory tower.. Not sure when he will get out the river road is still under water..He says he is ok in the way of food. His wife is still staying with one of their DD's.

I canceled Teddi's grooming appointment for this morning. I have broken out with more poison ivy on my arms and a few spots on my lower legs/ankle. Not as severe but still I do not want to take a chance on him infecting his groomer or some how contaminating her business. I did give him another bath but apparently there is still poison ivy oil in his fur. I will pay her for today. I told her it is the fair thing to do since she had set that time aside for him and it is lost money to her. She said it was ok but I will stop by tomorrow and pay her. I had the washing machine and dryer humming late in to the night last night since I had to wash all of the towels and sheets three times in hot water.. I had switched out the sheets on everything yesterday also so they are going again today.. Yikes on the water and utility bills with the increased laundry.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

itspennyc wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:09 am I had a wonderful weekend visit with my son and daughter in law. I didn’t get much chance to rest, I was afraid of missing time with them.

One of my Mother’s day presents was my washing machine. I would much rather have a necessity rather than something I can just look at. I also got a gift card to OutBack Steak House. Plus a wooden yarn bowl with some banana yarn and some wooden knitting needles with . They are beautiful. But I am not sure I will use them.

The knitting needles are the right size for the project but are flexible straight needles the pattern calls for circular needles. I have the size needle I will need.

Penny
Penny, you have such great kids.

Congrats on the new washing machine. I hope that you enjoy it.

I second Jodi’s idea about a mesh bag for small items. I have two that I think I got at Dollar Tree a few years ago.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello all.

It’s raining. Looking at the radar I thought it was mostly going to be north of us but we are getting a decent amount.

I went to mom’s house and did cleaning. Also watered some plants because I didn’t think we’d get the rain and did some clipping. I noticed that parts of mom’s alemande vine were dragging on the ground so I clipped and tucked the vine into the fence (neighbor’s fence) like mom used to do. The alemande vine has beautiful yellow flowers.

Sorry to hear about Doris Day’s passing. My most vivid memory is driving to Boston with mom when I was a child and the film That Touch of Mink playing seemingly for weeks at a theater in Wellesley Hills. We laughed about it. I had surgery in Boston as a child and had to go there often for doctor visits. I think I’ll see if I can find a Doris Day film on Prime tonight.

Yesterday I watched Sunday Morning and they had a good mix of stories as usual. One was about the old TWA terminal at JFK Airport in NYC. It has been renovated into a hotel that will open this week. I love architecture and this is a striking 1962 building by Eero Saarinen. It has been vacant since 2001 when TWA went out of business. They are calling it the TWA hotel and the whole place will have 1960s decor. Definitely on my bucket list to stay there (or at least visit) sometime!

It is really raining hard now. Glad I’m home.

Have a good afternoon.