downsizing as we get older.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
lennon05

Re: downsizing as we get older.

Post by lennon05 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 pm

We currently have two properties. One has a 1500sq ft home plus an additional detached garage and storage area that is 700 sq ft that sits on a little over an acre. The other is a half acre lot that we are planning to build a 1300 sq ft home hopefully next year. I think the most important thing for us is not the size of the house but the size of the property that we have to maintain.

My late husband passed away nearly four years ago. He was on the borderline of being a hoarder. I have been slowly donating and giving away quite a bit of his stuff. I still have a bit to go. Then, I want to organize what is left.

The article says that it makes it easier to maintain what is left when you rid your home of excess things. We have found this to be true. We spend less time cleaning and it is definitely easier to find things.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 am

lennon05 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 pm
We currently have two properties. One has a 1500sq ft home plus an additional detached garage and storage area that is 700 sq ft that sits on a little over an acre. The other is a half acre lot that we are planning to build a 1300 sq ft home hopefully next year. I think the most important thing for us is not the size of the house but the size of the property that we have to maintain.

My late husband passed away nearly four years ago. He was on the borderline of being a hoarder. I have been slowly donating and giving away quite a bit of his stuff. I still have a bit to go. Then, I want to organize what is left.

The article says that it makes it easier to maintain what is left when you rid your home of excess things. We have found this to be true. We spend less time cleaning and it is definitely easier to find things.
I agree with you Lennon. As I rid my home of things that we no longer need or use I am finding it much easier to clean and look after.

I am not ridding myself of everything at once and the total in a year that leaves the house has been steadily decreasing.

Compared to most of you (other than Rinty) my home is relatively small at only a little over 1200 square feet including the basement area.

My whole idea is not to leave the boys too much to handle when we are gone, or too much to move if and when we ever do move to a condo or even smaller place.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I am around 1200 sq feet too. But it is too big. And very disorganized. I don't like the so called recommended ways of organizing. A work in progress.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Sun May 19, 2019 6:05 pm

Our log house is about 1800 sq ft. We built it ourselves with help.
DH and I both love it and love where we live. Our plan is to have enough money put away to be able to hire help when we need it.
Our kids live on the property next to us ( we are very rural ) so our granddaughters are in and out all the time..... ages 14 and almost 11.
Our two families share big things...riding mower...snow blower...etc.
DH and I are alike in that we don't keep things we are not using. We don't have a lot of "things" around the house.
My son understands that when we are gone, we want him to keep two things for the girls. A grandfather clock and a sideboard. Both were built by DH.
If anything happened to DH and me tomorrow, this house would not be a burden to our kids.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 pm

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:05 pm
Our log house is about 1800 sq ft. We built it ourselves with help.
DH and I both love it and love where we live. Our plan is to have enough money put away to be able to hire help when we need it.
Our kids live on the property next to us ( we are very rural ) so our granddaughters are in and out all the time..... ages 14 and almost 11.
Our two families share big things...riding mower...snow blower...etc.
DH and I are alike in that we don't keep things we are not using. We don't have a lot of "things" around the house.
My son understands that when we are gone, we want him to keep two things for the girls. A grandfather clock and a sideboard. Both were built by DH.
If anything happened to DH and me tomorrow, this house would not be a burden to our kids.
Your house sounds SO nice and I can picture it decorated for Christmas - something out of Country Living magazine. And you and your DH are very talented to build it yourselves.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 pm
Your house sounds SO nice and I can picture it decorated for Christmas - something out of Country Living magazine. And you and your DH are very talented to build it yourselves.
Thank you so much! We built this house 30 yrs ago....we were MUCH stronger then...:)
We DO love it.