Daily check in May 30, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily check in May 30, 2019

Post by Grannysewstoys »

... She stands in front of the camera, shaking her head back and forth with this snooty puss face and says "don't whine to me if you live in a high priced state - that's YOUR choice, MOVE; don't cry to me that you can't get good grocery prices in your area. I looked on the internet and you can, YOU just DON'T WANT TO or you just don't want to drive 70 miles to get the lower prices like we did when we lived in Colorado; my mother a single mom raised two of us on $500 a month but what they don't say is that this was back in the late 70s; or you don't want to do what you have to do get lower prices so don't complain to me; yada, yada, yada." This type of behavior truly bothers me to no end. I have no clue as to how she still manages to sell her products with this kind of rudeness...
I am surprised that she feels you can save money by driving 70 miles. Or if she does you do need to consider the cost of getting to the store, or if buying on-line the cost o shipping. Sometimes on lines prices are higher to cover the shipping costs.

Yes, H-E-B has great prices, equal to Walmart or better. I don't buy food at Walmart as since H-E-B is local I want to support them.

Shopping for one is much more expensive than shopping for a family on a per person basis.

Several years ago I was on line at the commissary on the Army post where my husband was stationed. We lived on post so the commissary was the closest grocery. Two women behind me were bragging on the great meat they had bought. They had driven almost 70 miles each way. They would have been better going to the best butcher in the nearest town to where they lived. At the time there were stand alone butcher shops.

Penny
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I had a good night last night. I have a lot I hope to do today.

I put away the yarn I am not currently using.

I want to add to my giveaway bin. There won’t be enough to take up to the club room. I do need to fill my quart bottles with white vinegar and get rid of the big bottle. I also have papers to shred.

My friend who takes me to vote took me to vote in the mayoral runoff.

Penny
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I have a doctor appt. this afternoon but have been working on my entry way this morning. I feel like I need my second shower of the day and I wasn’t out there more than 45 minutes. A few years ago there was a newspaper story about a woman I was friendly with in high school and her DH who had no a/c by choice. I couldn’t do it.

After my doctor appt. I’ll stop at moms house to put out the big trash can and I think I have a full plastic bag in the back yard. I’ll water the penta again although most everything looks OK.

Have a good day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Former Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran has died. I’m sure that LittleMiss and BeckyO are very familiar with him.

I ran seminars on Congress when I worked in D.C. and we often invited him to speak. He was gracious and always the perfect gentleman and was one of my favorites. A few years ago there was a dirty political event in which an opponent (really a surrogate) surreptitiously took photos of his wife who had dementia and was in a nursing home. Despicable in my book and I felt bad for him. RIP Sen. Cochran.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Good morning everyone,

I have had sciatic pain in my lower right side for over a week so I have not been working at all. I do have one assignment Monday afternoon. I have thought about cancelling out, I still might because this is taking a while to clear up.

My goal for June is to cut back on spending. I'm not sure if I will be able to work much this next school year but just in case I need to be more mindful about my spending.

Summer has arrived in Sactown. Temperature is starting to climb into the upper 80's low 90's. So far I have not needed to turn on the a/c much at all. We have a couple of fans we are using. I have been able to sharply curtail electric use between the hours of 5-8 pm M-F. Our electric company enacted the time of day use this year so it will be interesting to see how my next few bills are. Laundry and dishwashing are done early in the day so during peak hours the only things I have on are a light or two, the TV and a fan.

Today I will be doing a few things around the house. We had a mouse problem which I think I have taken care of but I am monitoring the situation to make sure all of them are gone. I plugged up their possible entryways. Once I am sure they are gone I will put things back where they belong.

Well I'm off to get some breakfast. Take care everyone.

Bev
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:13 pm Former Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran has died. I’m sure that LittleMiss and BeckyO are very familiar with him.

I ran seminars on Congress when I worked in D.C. and we often invited him to speak. He was gracious and always the perfect gentleman and was one of my favorites. A few years ago there was a dirty political event in which an opponent (really a surrogate) surreptitiously took photos of his wife who had dementia and was in a nursing home. Despicable in my book and I felt bad for him. RIP Sen. Cochran.
FloridaCat, thanks for posting this, I haven't had the TV on this morning and had missed it. He was a good man and I remember that little fiasco. People can be so darn mean when they want to be. My hat is off to anyone that wants to be in politics and have their lives hung out to be scrutinized. I am surprised sometimes that anyone wants to run for office with what they have to go through.