Daily check in May 30, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily check in May 30, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning.. We are starting off with a lovely day nice and cool and only going up in to the 80's. Chance of rain or storms. As you know we are in storm and flood mode here. They have moved the river crest to next Tuesday. It was suppose to crest today and every few days they have moved it. It was suppose to be Monday now Tuesday..So many communities are flooding and others are sand bagging and calling for volunteers to help sand bag. My brother told me he does not think he will be able to get out of his house until July. He said he stocked up on food when they knew their road would be under water again.I am safe but really feel sorry for all of those who are dealing with this.

Not much going on just daily routine things.

Have a good and frugal day.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 am Good morning,

My area is still under a water boil order. The tornadoes took out electricity (and back-up) to both water treatment plants. The South on was restored quickly, so no shortage in my area, but we were under a conservation order. More of a pain than anything else.

DS2 called me very excited yesterday. He has been asked to participate in a local Percussion festival by playing a Marimba Solo for a master class. He will be the example and the "Master" critiques his playing. He reached out to the Festival organizers and volunteered his service. He is quite the networker.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Good for him. How is his summer job hunt going?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Kind of overcast today. Not sure if it will rain. We kind of need it

I slept well again. Today is my "day off" - :mrgreen: . Too bad i had to take my injured pup outside at 6:45! He never did this before. He used to wait until all were going out.

I have to gas up my car and tidy up some things around here. Clean out the fridge

So glad i bathed and trimmed my long haired pup. He looks so much better.

Shall see what today brings....

Have a good one
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Lost my first post so will post and add to this one. I don't think it is anything to do with the forum, more with the strange way my computer has been acting.

Slept in for the second day in a row, and did so by over an hour. I may just have discovered that my body needs more sleep than I have been giving it. Guess I will just have to see how long this lasts. Heck I could be back waking up early in no time.

Our temperatures have climbed to what is almost mid summer weather. Today we will hit 31 C and with the lack of rain and slight breeze the fire severity is high (highest level). We really could use some rain right about now, a nice day long drizzle.

We have every fan in the house going as there is no air conditioning right now. The good thing is that with this sudden uptick in temperature Hubby has managed to phone the plumbing and heating company. The will be coming (well supposedly coming) Friday or Monday to see what is needed for our central air. Hopefully it will be installed quickly as it seems neither Hubby or I can take the intense heat build up in the house any longer.

Adding

I get to go shopping today and hopefully will be heading out the door shortly. I want to get this all done before the heat becomes too intense. Shouldn't be too costly either.

Then it will be home to get a few chores accomplished and then I get to have fun. Today I plan on sewing some pants and doing a bit of another tidy in the sewing/craft room. I make quite a mess when I sew and having finished one quilt and almost the second it really needs a cleaning (more a straightening). I may get the binding ready to attach to finish the quilt. Things are looking up slightly on the monthly goal list.

This evening I will work on the two presentation boards once again. I did manage to get them both covered and the bookmarks (which are a handout for one display) cut out. I will now finish the bookmarks and hopefully finish up the board as well.

Supper this evening is going to be soup and sandwiches. Something that does not heat up my house too much.

Today I am grateful for Hubby who looks after the veggie garden so well.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

Hello All,

Firstly, Penny I hope you will be alright and that you have good care.

Just got back from Fait du Camping ;) in our new tent.

LUXURY !!!

Well, compared to the over 20 yr old thing we used on church camps with the kids.

We were exceedingly frugal , it was a mere £16 per night, we ate out once , had ice cream once but I did a craft class for £8. (painting a mandala on slate...FUN)
Otherwise it was beach time, long walks with the dog , watching the wildlife and enjoying the countryside. I always make a nice meal to eat on the first day then we do typical camping meals......corned beef hash, stuff like that. I think DH would take along MRE meals if I'd let him so he can re-live the Good Ole Days when he was in the army............" THIS is how we made corned beef hash back then.........."

The washing machine is chugging away and I am having a play on the computer seeing what we have missed. We refused to read/watch/listen to any news . Mind you it doesn't stop you talking to people ;) LOTS of chat re the European elections results, and loathing re Boris Johnson (AGREED) and Jeremy Corbyn (COULDN'T AGREE MORE) so who does that actually leave ???? I am a Sajid Javid fan.......

Still half term til Monday. I have a ton of STUFFFFFF to do which I had blanked out but we're home now so I have no excuses. I am thinking of applying for a different role.....see how it goes..........part of me says, " but you are too tired for an actual career " and ain't THAT the truth.

This far I have washing in the machine, have watered the garden ( the plants have not suffered as DD came in our absence ) and made some jelly for tea and raided the freezer to meal plan thru to Monday.

For fun, I want to cross stitch, ideally spend less than a tenner on more plants for the garden and DECLARE IT DONE and practice pebble painting for craft club.

The fun will break up all the paperwork. I have some hassle over money I KNOW I owe but can't get them to bill me for ..... " we don't know what you are talking about Mrs Rinty, we see NO amount outstanding.".........you just know they will turn round at some future date and accuse me of failing to pay............I WANT TO, just send me an actual amount and a flippin' invoice ;) This is hundreds BTW , not small change, sigh.

DH is snoozing after a long drive home. Hope everyone is well and again, best wishes to you, Penny
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

rinty wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:40 am Hello All,

Firstly, Penny I hope you will be alright and that you have good care.

Just got back from Fait du Camping ;) in our new tent.

LUXURY !!!

Well, compared to the over 20 yr old thing we used on church camps with the kids.

We were exceedingly frugal , it was a mere £16 per night, we ate out once , had ice cream once but I did a craft class for £8. (painting a mandala on slate...FUN)
Otherwise it was beach time, long walks with the dog , watching the wildlife and enjoying the countryside. I always make a nice meal to eat on the first day then we do typical camping meals......corned beef hash, stuff like that. I think DH would take along MRE meals if I'd let him so he can re-live the Good Ole Days when he was in the army............" THIS is how we made corned beef hash back then.........."

The washing machine is chugging away and I am having a play on the computer seeing what we have missed. We refused to read/watch/listen to any news . Mind you it doesn't stop you talking to people ;) LOTS of chat re the European elections results, and loathing re Boris Johnson (AGREED) and Jeremy Corbyn (COULDN'T AGREE MORE) so who does that actually leave ???? I am a Sajid Javid fan.......

Still half term til Monday. I have a ton of STUFFFFFF to do which I had blanked out but we're home now so I have no excuses. I am thinking of applying for a different role.....see how it goes..........part of me says, " but you are too tired for an actual career " and ain't THAT the truth.

This far I have washing in the machine, have watered the garden ( the plants have not suffered as DD came in our absence ) and made some jelly for tea and raided the freezer to meal plan thru to Monday.

For fun, I want to cross stitch, ideally spend less than a tenner on more plants for the garden and DECLARE IT DONE and practice pebble painting for craft club.

The fun will break up all the paperwork. I have some hassle over money I KNOW I owe but can't get them to bill me for ..... " we don't know what you are talking about Mrs Rinty, we see NO amount outstanding.".........you just know they will turn round at some future date and accuse me of failing to pay............I WANT TO, just send me an actual amount and a flippin' invoice ;) This is hundreds BTW , not small change, sigh.

DH is snoozing after a long drive home. Hope everyone is well and again, best wishes to you, Penny
Rinty, I’m glad that you had fun on your camping trip.

I watched the European Parliament election returns on Sky and also France 24. (Yes, I’m a nerd.) Happy to see the Greens do well in many parts of the EU and also the UK. I detest Nigel Farage (from what I know). Such an opportunist. Boris Johnson the same. I think Jeremy Corbyn is far too left wing but I cheered when he said screw it to the Trump state dinner (poor Charles, William, HM and the rest). Sajid Javid, interesting. I believe he is the Home Secretary (?) and don’t know much else. I think you favor a no- deal Brexit and to me it seems chances are much better that that is how things will end up. I can’t see a new PM getting a deal from the EU that is much different from Theresa May’s deal. Who knows if it is good or bad for the economy long term. At least that is my take from watching Sky.