Daily check in June 2, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BevMoore

Re: Daily check in June 2, 2019

Post by BevMoore » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Good afternoon all,
Happy birthday to Clem and Penny. "Happy Birthday, Clem? Did you say this is 60? If so, many of my friends say their 60s were great years." I am 68 and so far I agree wih this 100%. I hope my 70's and 80's are just as great in spite of limitations I am sure will come. Retirement is great. I feel like I went at the right time.

Had a bit of sticker shock earlier today. When did paper office supplies become so ungodly expensive? I had to pick up a few things at Staples to store my genology and other important documents. Since I am the queen of water leaks and also had a bout with rodents I needed to get things for safe storage. The plastic totes cost about wht I expected. However almost $20 for a package of 4 stand up accordion files? Holy cow! I did buy two packages of them. I am on a document purge again and those that are really important for safekeeping I want to protect.

I went to Grocery Outlet and spent $100 there but had a $10 off coupon which always help. I bought some items I want but cannot find anywhere else. I also bought some snacks to set aside since I am hosting our poker game this month. It will probably be too hot to bake and the snacks weren't all that expensive.

I am really trying to cut where I can. If I can get my frugalling back on automatic pilot then perhaps I can work some when the weather is not quite so hot. Trying really hard to keep the electric and other utilities down.

I feel like we are back in the 1970's. Although out economicpundits will surely deny it, it seems to me prices of things are going up as rapidly as they did in the 1970's. I then look at the hourly amounts DS and I make locally and wonder how in the hell anyone can live decently with prices skyrocketing and stagnant wages. I have decided to relly focus on paying off my house since I no longer get the tax breaks. I am hoping to pay that and my van off at the same time...4.5 years away. If the soon to be runaway inflation doesn't slow down I will need that money saved.

Bev

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Happy Birthday Clem!!!

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:17 pm

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm
Happy Birthday Clem!!!
Thank you!!

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Happy birthday, Clem and Penny!

We celebrated DS's birthday Wednesday night with a trip to his favorite burger place. Other than that, we've been homebodies this weekend. I did a strategic shopping trip Saturday to Food City for some store brand canned drinks, to Save a Lot for everything else, and to CVS with coupons that resulted in lots of free bar soap for the bath and two free bottles of shampoo.

At Save a Lot, what used to be a $5 chuck roast is now a $10 chuck roast, but I bought one and made a nice pot roast with carrots, potatoes and sweet Spanish onion. It will make six hearty plates of food. If I want more leftovers, will have to spring for the $15 roast. Even the economy whole chickens are now $8 each.

Like Bev I have noticed that paper products are suddenly quite expensive. Even the "sandpaper on a roll" level of toilet paper costs as much as the good brands right now.
Mackie

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Mackie, I have toyed with the idea of putting bidets on my toilets (is that possible or do you have to buy a whole new toilet?) Using it I am sure would take some getting used to but could be a savings. I am going to research this more.

Paper towels I am doing ok with. I use very few; mainly for cleaning pet yack or to dry my produce leaves. I am experimenting with putting a paper towel or two where I store my greens. Perhaps getting rid of some of the moisture will keep them fresh longer. So far it has worked well with spinach.

Bev

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:19 pm

One of the bloggers I read has a constant issue (lichen schlerosis?) and severe utis. Her family got her one of those bidets that is actually a nozzel that attaches to her toilet (it does require a plumbing hookup I thinkO and she uses lots of washcloths to pat herself dry. Something to think about.

I dont use paper products much except TP and in that area I am willing to spend for comfort. Most everything else is re-usable and washable.