Daily check in June 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in June 16, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in June 16, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

Today is starting out as an overcast Father's Day Sunday. I will be making sausage and sauerkraut for hubs today. He likes that kind of food. The kids may call. Otherwise, we will simply spend the day smelling all the neighbors grilling out.

We have been getting rain regularly and my garden prefers that form of water over the irrigation water. I prefer it too. Water from the well is not free and my electric bill reflects it. Sadly, between the hottest May on record and nearly 30 days without rain in May/June, my electric bill rivaled the monthly usage of last summer before insulation. Since it has started raining this past week and more overcast days, less water use and less ac should make for a more frugal June/July bill.

Hubs confirmed the arrangements for the July trip, but we still need to request a wheelchair as suggested by Floridacat. Hubs still only walks about a block when he walks. Not enough to get through an airport.

I remain fairly inactive thanks to the bad knee. I am hopeful it will continue to heal as a result of all the rest. Meanwhile, my muscles become fat. My neighbor with spinal deterioration is recovering from her latest operation, several disks fused and a new metal rod in her back. We chat from time to time. Snowbird is headed north for the summer. A quiet neighborhood.

Today, I am grateful for overcast skies and that I hire the grass mowed. Have a lovely Father's Day all.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I got a good rest last night. I was not very close to my dad who has been gone 21 years but I’m thinking of him today.

Yesterday at the ballpark was such fun even though our team lost. My friend and her DH picked me up and then we picked up Dutch friend who left her car in a shopping center. We met another friend at the ballpark lot. Turned out that our tickets for the suite included the food - hot dogs, pulled pork, chicken tenders, salad, brownies/cookies plus the water/soft drinks. So no cost to me for a super fun day. When I worked, my department used to have the corporate suite that belonged to our parent company for one game a year and it included the food but I did not think it would for individual season ticket holders.

Third friend who joined us is someone I don’t see often. She’s been caring for her husband with dementia for many years. Last time I saw her and her DH was movie night at good friend’s house last fall. At that point the man seemed quite good and seemed to know each of us who he had seen at parties for years. But I had heard that he had declined dramatically since then. He is now in assisted living. Old friend cannot even speak about it without crying. I feel for her. She left the game early to join him for dinner. We all decided we will invite old friend to our next “girls dinner” to give her a social outlet.

After the game friend who was driving asked if I minded stopping at Sam’s Club. She wanted watermelon and a few other things for Father’s Day. It was interesting. Mom and I used to go sometimes on the non-member days but it has been years. I bought a few produce items (blueberries, oranges and bagged salads) going through checkout with friend’s DH who used his membership card for my order. Prices are OK but not as good as Aldi. We used self checkout in which you use a handheld scanner on the items. Most interesting is that you must show your receipt at the door. Sam’s lady checked one item per order with the scanner. Friend said until recently they used to count every item. No bags but my friend had bags in her car. I’ll stick with Aldi.

I think I’ll stay home today and do laundry and paperwork. Then read or watch a movie. Even though I don’t have many relatives, I am so, so lucky to have good friends.

Enjoy your day.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Happy Fathers Day to all, my first without my daddy. It's okay, I will go to the cemetery today and I know he knows I am thinking of him.
I also need to go to dads house to clean out the fridge and to make beds and do some chores.

We went last night to a Texas Roadhouse for son in laws Fathers Day celebration and it was fun. I ate too much ….not used to eating that much. It was good to be with my family. I brought over half of my dinner home with me.
Today beside going to dads I have some small chores to do around home. No cooking needed as salads are made and things are ready for "heat and eat".
Lots of storms and damage to Indiana yesterday. I have some limbs to clean up but nothing like south of us, so much destruction and water.

I have a driveway guy coming tomorrow afternoon, I need gravel and grading done. It has been on my to-do list for months but with all I was doing had no time to deal with it so tomorrow is the day. Something I can mark off my to do list.
I have things on my list that because of timing will wait till next year.
Have a great day all,
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I started my day with a wake up and trouble going back to sleep in the middle of the night. So I managed a nice bit of sleeping this morning. Still I feel rested for the most part and ready to face this day.

I need to pull items out of the freezer for our supper tonight. Plans changed and I am going the BBQ route for today. There is a bit of a breeze and the skies are slightly grey, but as Hubby says he has shelter over the BBQ (bought a pagoda type building for just these kind of days) so other than a quick walk from the BBQ into the house he should be good.

I plan on baking a pie (well just the shell) as a special treat for Hubby today, and I know the boys will be phoning him at some point in the day. To keep busy, while waiting for those calls from his boys, I have a feeling that he will try and fix the vacuum cleaner. He already has it apart, and has been tinkering with it. I will get to use the noisy shop vac for a bit up stairs while I decide whether get a new one or not after Hubby "fixes" it.

Baking a pie, making a loaf of bread, doing up the to do lists for next week, regular Sunday chores, Mass, sewing and knitting will fill the day. I don't need to water as we had a misty rain for most of the evening and should be getting a bit more at some point today.

Frugally speaking it will be another no spend day. Church envelope will be used on the 23 and include a donation for the 30th when we are gone. I will continue to use up what I can where I can today. Lots of yummy leftovers for our lunches the next couple of days. Yesterday was pretty cool, and the air conditioning would not have kicked in if I had the windows open (kicked on for a cycle while I was cooking supper), so today the windows will be opened this morning (noticed Hubby closed one last night) to let in the cool air.

I plan on sewing a top today and trying to figure out how to salvage the pattern I cut out in the wrong size. Pretty sure I will figure something out, I don't know what I was thinking when I did this. Still I have lots to sew, setting this aside for a bit while I ponder a solution isn't a really big deal.

Knitting those small squares still. Amazing to me that I have so much in the way of finer yarn. I always thought I used mostly worsted weight or bulky/chunky. Proved myself wrong.

Supper tonight will be steaks, baked on the grill potatoes (jacket potatoes as those in the UK call them, love that), asparagus and a Blueberry glazed pie for dessert.

Today I am grateful for the singing of the birds this morning.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:15 am Good morning all,

Happy Fathers Day to all, my first without my daddy. It's okay, I will go to the cemetery today and I know he knows I am thinking of him.
I also need to go to dads house to clean out the fridge and to make beds and do some chores.

We went last night to a Texas Roadhouse for son in laws Fathers Day celebration and it was fun. I ate too much ….not used to eating that much. It was good to be with my family. I brought over half of my dinner home with me.
Today beside going to dads I have some small chores to do around home. No cooking needed as salads are made and things are ready for "heat and eat".
Lots of storms and damage to Indiana yesterday. I have some limbs to clean up but nothing like south of us, so much destruction and water.

I have a driveway guy coming tomorrow afternoon, I need gravel and grading done. It has been on my to-do list for months but with all I was doing had no time to deal with it so tomorrow is the day. Something I can mark off my to do list.
I have things on my list that because of timing will wait till next year.
Have a great day all,
JCKitty
((JC)) I know your Daddy is looking down on you and smiling.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/