Daily check in June 18, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily check in June 18, 2019

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

Cloudy and cool but it will be fine for walking club with a jacket. Today we go by the waterfront. A new hotel has just recently opened there so you do see more foot traffic as a result, which is nice. Dh will be leaving for golf shortly and he packed his own lunch.

Clem sorry you hurt your knee and wish you a speedy recovery. And Gayle I was so saddened to hear about your dog! Pets are truly part of the family too.

My retirement so far hasn't included any huge trips but that will soon change in the fall. This European cruise dh and I will be going on will truly be a trip of a lifetime! I hope dh's energy level keeps up and that he will enjoy it. Our exchange rate is really bad so I know it's going to cost us a lot! We need to make our final payment for our cruise in a couple of weeks, but thankfully we have the funds so might as well enjoy it rather than leave it all as inheritance money. Still can't help feeling a bit guilty though! I don't know why as we have been very frugal all our lives so may as well reap the benefits of our savings. Like Jackie, we never eat out except while on vacation -even then we tend to pick up items from the grocery store. Who knows, in Europe we may very well do the same and will take advantage of the lovely meals on the ship. I have already added my Easy Roam package to my cell phone but the beauty of it is that you don't pay anything unless you are actually out of the country. It will come in handy when we go across the border to the U.S. as well.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be sunny and warm (around 68 F), so dh and I are planning on going for a picnic and for a hike in Minnesota. We both enjoy hiking and I love to be able to spend quality time with the man I love most!

Retirement certainly affords you a lot of freedom! Sure some of the days may seem long and boring but while at work there were times when I couldn't wait for the day to be over either. It truly is what you make of it, while your health prevails! So if dh and I plan on doing much travelling now is the time to go.

Oldest dd will not be home for a visit this summer but probably will be back for Christmas. She has such a busy life! And we know that now that she has a bf it will get busier yet! But it warms my heart that our two dd's are close despite their 9 year age difference. Dh and I would like to visit oldest dd in Colorado sometime in the following year but won't stay for too long as it does get cramped in her one bedroom apartment. From the little we've seen it really is a beautiful state.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

My retirement goes from.the busy to the mundane. The basic point though, is that I get to choose what to do each day and in my world at least each day is different. I read alot but that's because I love to read and I have commitments do do stuff with people four or five days a week. Monday, well, I sew. Lol. Today I will go to a museum with friends and then to lunch and then to the gourmet butcher to grab stuffed pork chops. Im not traveling this summer but then I'm traveling in Texas for a month in September and spending three weeks in October Volunteering with refugees at the Arizona/Mexico border which I could never do if not retired.

The other night I did "free writing" for like an hour and made a list of stuff I wanted to learn places I wanted to go and a pile of other want toys. Next month im.taking a beginning weaving class.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 am Good morning all.

Clem, sorry about your knee. Do you have some of those blue frozen peas? A few years ago I tripped over a footstool and fell down hard on one knee. It didn’t hinder walking but I couldn’t kneel on it for 4-5 months.

I’m getting ready to go to a hair appointment. It is very overcast and looks like it will start raining any minute.

I’ll spend the rest of the day at home.

Yesterday I cleaned out the garden that backs up to mom’s back porch. It is an area I often avoid because it is in direct sun usually when I’m there. But it was overcast (at least starting out) so I got most of the weeding finished.

When I got my Rx at Publix, I bought a Visa gift card for my neighbor who will care for Pippi. So another item checked off my travel list. I’ll buy her a few small things in NB, too, because I know she likes local items.

I got the book Anne of Green Gables. My eyes were bothering me yesterday but hopefully I’ll start reading today.

I felt agitated last night before bed but did not want to take a Xanax. It worked out and I slept OK including a fun dream. I was friends with the Queen of England and was helping her with her Sandringham garden, which backed up to my property!

Have a good day.
I loved the Anne of Green Gables series of books.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Raining here in my beautiful state and it's also cooled down considerably. The weather patterns sure aren't like what they use to be. We seldom got rain in the summer and now it seems that is all it wants to do. I had leg cramps last night and didn't sleep real well, so made up for it this morning. Drug my lazy self out of the bed at 1:00.

Speaking of retirement, sleeping in in the morning and traveling is what it's all about for me. If I had a husband to take care of I wouldn't be able to do this. DH thought it sinful if you slept past 6:00. :lol: :lol: Even in the years after he retired he was up at the ungodly hour of 5:00. He was raised on a working farm and he got into that pattern early in his life.

I love being able to do exactly what I want to, when I want to and not have anyone to make a remark about it. DH never fussed at me for sleeping in, but I knew that he wanted me up with him. Mr. B is the same way, when he's up he wants me moving to.

Did I ever give myself a scare last night. I got the bright idea that I was going to clean my computer keyboard. I got my alcohol and q-tips and went to work. The only problem was when I started the computer again and the keyboard didn't work, I couldn't even type in my password. I tried pressing every key on it....nada. It was late so I figured in the morning it would be a trip to Walmart for a new keyboard. However, this morning I went on line from my phone and it gave me instructions of what to do. Press F2, F12 and delete if the keyboard wouldn't type. I did it and it worked. I was happy, but the next time I am there I'm going to pick up another one for a spare, they are not that expensive. People, I was in a panic I couldn't get on the internet. I can't believe I am as addicted as I am to my phone and home computer. I am completely loss without my phone and if I forget it when I'm going on an errand I will turn around and come back for it.

All of you know that I love dishes and have way to many. However, I was at Goodwill yesterday and saw some lovely cream plates by Mikasa, but there was only 2 plates, 2 bread and butters, and 2 soup bowls. All 6 pieces were $8.77,
I had to have them. I had been looking for some everyday dishes since I have changed the decor in my kitchen and I wanted cream plates. I had 4 matching bread and butters with a sunflower pattern and some solid blue stoneware mugs and bowls. I love to keep my 2 tables set with dishes and this turned out quite well for me. I still will be looking for a deal on 2 more plates to match this pattern on E-bay.https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKASA-Dinner- ... SwudBdCQkS
Do any of the rest of you enjoy mixing and matching dishes in your home?

I have done all my daily chores, washed, hung and folded a load of clothes, swept all the hardwood and tile with my B&D Sweeper, made my bed, swished the toilets, ran and unloaded the dishwasher. This week my zone was the laundry room it was just a matter of a sweep and running a dust cloth over the washer and dryer. Love that laundry room. I like it even better, because I get the extra scent of my Gain Laundry Detergent into my bedroom when I leave the door open.

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful day.