house heater and A/C

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: house heater and A/C

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:45 am

Interesting what you paid Floridacat. I am budgeting a bit more than that for mine, but maybe I should cut back on that budgeted item. I had been warned that buying too small a unit would allow humidity to build up, but with the new windows, the house humidity is actually comparatively low, so I will probably go with a smaller unit.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:59 am

I think we ended up paying close to $7K for our furnace/AC after the various rebates.

Are you paying too much? Don't know ... depends on how big your house is, the type of furnace ... and it sounds like the AC has to be put in from scratch. Doesn't sound like an easy install.

Admittedly, we didn't get bids, either ... our furnace had to be replaced in the middle of winter, so we didn't have the luxury of time.

But, you should see a drop in your heating bills ... and yes, it will help when it's time to sell the house.

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:24 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:31 am
Yes, this sounds correct for a heat pump. My mom paid about $6,500 two and a half years ago for a Carrier for a similar-sized house. We are lucky to live in an area that doesn’t require much heat so a heat pump will suffice. (My area is a negative in many other ways, however.) I’m budgeting $6-$7k for a new system myself.

I think IC must live in an area with colder temps and requires a more powerful heating component - although I though she lived in Cali.
LOL you are right we are in CA :D

DH is getting more and more sensitive to cold and heat, I think that it's because of his heart problems (congenial heart failure ) and his diabetes.

So he runs the heater a lot in the winter and the window A/R's in the summer. I'm hoping to make him more comfortable and help the monthly bills.

I'm sure that the house can use some insulation and new windows, but~~~~~~~~

IC

lennon05

Post by lennon05 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:59 pm

FIL, I don't think I could stand to live in another part of the country with extreme heat and cold. Our new house will be about two hours away from here so very similar temps but some coastal breezes in the summer.

lennon05

Post by lennon05 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:59 pm

That should be Fcl not FIL.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 am

lennon05 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:59 pm
FIL, I don't think I could stand to live in another part of the country with extreme heat and cold. Our new house will be about two hours away from here so very similar temps but some coastal breezes in the summer.
I do like living so close to the coast and I’m in a beautiful area. But if my support network wasn’t here (friends) I’d think about moving to somewhere with four seasons. I enjoyed living in northern Virginia a lot and didn’t mind the cold because it really doesn’t get super cold there. Loved, loved, loved the autumn.