Daily check in June 22, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in June 22, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning everyone. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in June 22, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

The last 2 days I have been pain free from the bad knee. It still feels a bit tight and/or puffy from time to time, but pain free. I am still avoiding any lifting. But I am getting so flabby. Yuk.

Today marks a second rain free day. I have a few garbage cans with water in them which I will use up on plants today. The week of rain produced a huge crop of hungry mosquitos and it is very hot again. Most morning are at 80F by 8am.

Yesterday, I did hose repair. The hose repair kits have jumped in price a lot. However, I convince myself that I am getting 2 hoses that are more the size I need. Today, it is more bad bug squishing in the garden since I don't use pesticides.

The salmon turned out great last night. I try to have a meal of it when it goes on sale. It is special and twice the price of steak. Now that we had rain, the remaining figs are plump. The 30 day drought and heat in May shriveled most of the figs. Watering kept the plants alive, but it was not enough to keep the fruit healthy.

Now that it is sunny and hot, the ac is coming on now and then. But the house is comfortable with fans. We know that a new ac system is in our future, but with the insulation and new windows, it hopefully is years off.

I believe that the wasps have found a crevice in the porch to build a nest. I saw a couple inside on the porch. However, it is a dead end for them and they die in a couple of days. I won't try to fix it right now because I would have to use my knee in unsafe positions. However, after I dance in Houston and do the Texas reunion, I intend to fill the crevice with foam. Spray foam is cheap and a better long term solution.

Hubs starts his week off the pain medication today. He has a glass of apple cider vinegar water twice a day during his week off. He generally is able to remain pain free as a result although by day 7, he is feeling muscle weakness.

This morning, I will run to the store for some things. I am making solar tea again. Hubs likes it a lot in the summer. I am out of tea bags. When it is hot like it is with the Florida sun, it cooks up fast. Today, I will get the airfare for my trip to the Smoky Mountains in October with old dance partner.

My neighbor with the recent spinal surgery was told that she will have to remain in the full neck brace another 6 weeks. She had hoped that she could go to a soft brace. I told her if she wanted to talk, I was here for her.

Today, I want to send my granddaughter a card with some sticker. She is old enough to begin a communication with. Since I will see her in 2 weeks, the card with stickers should be fresh in her mind.

Today, I am grateful for healing. Have a good day everyone.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Janet, I hope that Teddi is better. It is frustrating, I’m sure, that even the vet does not seem to know what is wrong.

Rinty, (((Hugs)))

I’m feeling a bit agitated this morning. No reason, just typical for me lately.

My sleeping pattern is odd. I couldn’t stay awake past 8:30 last night, slept OK but have been awake since about 5. I’m not typically a morning person at all.

I cleaned the inside of my car really well yesterday. I was soaked in sweat when I finished, not because of the work but just the heat of the day. Also cleaned the track of the sliding glass door really well. It needed it. This morning when I watered the plants on my patio it was nice to see the clean door track. Simple pleasures.

Today I need to pick up a Rx at Publix but it won’t be ready until after 3. I plan to color my hair this morning and then go to Target to look for a new cover for my old iPad. I don’t want to spend a lot. I still have Target gift cards. Years ago I got a great cover for my first iPad at Aldi for only $10. I may also rent a movie - if I think I can stay awake. I’ll get Hotel Mumbai with Dev Patel. I have a $1.25 code and will also get 1,500 bonus points at Redbox.

I’m just in a mood that I feel like screaming - at somebody. Frustrated by the state of the country and world, I guess. I should not care since I don’t have children. My mom always said she never followed the news during WW2. But she was happy when the war ended and the daily reports of local boys killed finally stopped. So I’ll try to do the same, ignore the whole #&*@ing mess today.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:42 am Good morning all.

Janet, I hope that Teddi is better. It is frustrating, I’m sure, that even the vet does not seem to know what is wrong.

Rinty, (((Hugs)))

I’m feeling a bit agitated this morning. No reason, just typical for me lately.

My sleeping pattern is odd. I couldn’t stay awake past 8:30 last night, slept OK but have been awake since about 5. I’m not typically a morning person at all.

I cleaned the inside of my car really well yesterday. I was soaked in sweat when I finished, not because of the work but just the heat of the day. Also cleaned the track of the sliding glass door really well. It needed it. This morning when I watered the plants on my patio it was nice to see the clean door track. Simple pleasures.

Today I need to pick up a Rx at Publix but it won’t be ready until after 3. I plan to color my hair this morning and then go to Target to look for a new cover for my old iPad. I don’t want to spend a lot. I still have Target gift cards. Years ago I got a great cover for my first iPad at Aldi for only $10. I may also rent a movie - if I think I can stay awake. I’ll get Hotel Mumbai with Dev Patel. I have a $1.25 code and will also get 1,500 bonus points at Redbox.

I’m just in a mood that I feel like screaming - at somebody. Frustrated by the state of the country and world, I guess. I should not care since I don’t have children. My mom always said she never followed the news during WW2. But she was happy when the war ended and the daily reports of local boys killed finally stopped. So I’ll try to do the same, ignore the whole #&*@ing mess today.
Sometimes the mess is just too big to ignore..... I try to find something silly so I can laugh at what is being said. However I am pretty sure we are all going to be dragged into another war that no one wants or needs eventually.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We got a bit of rain yesterday, but not much. It also did not stop Hubby from getting the new door installed. Well almost installed. Still have to fill around the frame with insulation and foam, put the moulding around it, and add the deadbolt. Of course none of this would have happened if I hadn't been here to help. This means none of my own work really got completed until the door was in. I must say it is a very nice door with a really energy efficient window. Youngest DS is now home and will be helping with the rest of the installation (I had wanted Hubby to wait until today).

So today, after a few household tasks, I will be getting the surprise done for the family reunion, and hopefully getting some sewing done as well. Though that could be a bit of a problem after a couple of seams are sewn (might just have to wait a few days on that). It did take awhile to get the correct pattern set up on my embroidery machine, but all three of us here right now like the final test piece I did.

Frugally speaking I will be going for my morning walk (looks like the skies are clearing a bit), using up items that are already in the house be it food or fabric, cooking meals here at home, and just plain doing what I can and love to do.

It has not been the warmest of weather here the past couple of days so we are saving on air conditioning. I open the windows and the house stays nice and cool for the entire day. Lovely to save a bit of cash because I know there will be those sweltering days coming very soon.

Supper tonight is going to be shish kabobs so I need to get the meat out and marinating (should have done it last night but forgot). This will use up lots of bits from the crisper as well as probably give us a bit leftover for a lunch or two during the upcoming week.

Today I am grateful for what seems to be clearing skies and that DS came home to visit us and help with a few things around the house as well as a bit of techy stuff.

I will check in later with an update on how things are proceeding around here.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

good morning all,

Just lost a long post....sigh,

Floridacat, I feel the same as you, I have the added tensions of brother and sister in laws attitudes and actions. I can not talk about it yet as I am emotionally too raw.

I mowed yesterday, yard looks good. Still working on small jobs that have been neglected. Found out yesterday that I need work done on the back deck....I will have it done later this summer as I cannot handle the extra tension at this point.

Rinty, I feel so bad for you and your son. I have always believed in the general goodness of people, sadly that belief is slipping away from me.

Hope everyone has a great day, I need to get busy and concentrate on the things I can handle at this time.
JCKitty