Daily check in June 29, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in June 29, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in June 29, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Saturday morning frugal folks,

We are finally in the rainy season although it is still a bit spotty. But natural rain is much better than watering. My rain barrels get a bit of use and I still have excess water stored in trash cans. It really doesn't go that far and it is used up fast. The important thing is that the garden is not on the edge of death and no more wilting.

With the rainy season comes clouds. With clouds comes lower temperatures. With lower temperatures come less ac use. And that means lower electric bills. Hooray.

The yard guy has been sick, so he says. So the grass is unpleasantly tall and ragged. I hope he gets to it soon. I still have not heard from the handyman either despite several calls. Well, too close to our Houston trip to do anything about it.

I regularly visit my spinal deterioration neighbor and her husband, the retired egg man. They are collectors. They currently are collecting signs. So they called me to look at their newest sign and then I asked her how she was doing. She just had another operation on her back. She has this terrible burning in her legs as a result of an earlier spinal procedure. She listed all the attempted fixes for the burning. Now they will attempt to block it with spinal implants hooked to a TENS unit. I said I gave up on TENS (I have a portable unit from the dance days) for my knee. I got more relief for my bad knee with ultrasound(I have a portable unit from my dance days). I said I assume they tried ultrasound on the area. She gave me a blank look. I was surprised, but said, let me research this a bit. Turns out ultrasound is a therapy used for "phantom pain". So I said, let's give it a try on a spot and see. It is considered harmless when used properly. It took the burning away immediately. Paint me shocked. Paint her shocked. Paint her husband shocked. I told her how to use it safely and that it only worked temporarily and I let her borrow the unit. She got hours of relief and even a good night's sleep. My goodness, without pain and with a good night's sleep, she is a Chatty Cathy. I have to borrow it back at the end of each day to use on my knee at night. Sometimes the world seems like a magical place.

Today, I am grateful that my neighbor is pain free for a little while. Have a good day everyone.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Not much new, I do have more energy and taking a shower and not getting my face wet is getting easier. I found that taking most of my shower with my back to the water was easier.

I am trying to figure out the logistics of returning the towels to Kohl’s. Part of me wants to do it now and get it over with. The more sensible part of me knows I am better off waiting until next week.

I also need to buy replacement towels. They will not come from Kohl’s. I will have to do it in one trip.

Penny
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:40 am Good Saturday morning frugal folks,

We are finally in the rainy season although it is still a bit spotty. But natural rain is much better than watering. My rain barrels get a bit of use and I still have excess water stored in trash cans. It really doesn't go that far and it is used up fast. The important thing is that the garden is not on the edge of death and no more wilting.

With the rainy season comes clouds. With clouds comes lower temperatures. With lower temperatures come less ac use. And that means lower electric bills. Hooray.

The yard guy has been sick, so he says. So the grass is unpleasantly tall and ragged. I hope he gets to it soon. I still have not heard from the handyman either despite several calls. Well, too close to our Houston trip to do anything about it.

I regularly visit my spinal deterioration neighbor and her husband, the retired egg man. They are collectors. They currently are collecting signs. So they called me to look at their newest sign and then I asked her how she was doing. She just had another operation on her back. She has this terrible burning in her legs as a result of an earlier spinal procedure. She listed all the attempted fixes for the burning. Now they will attempt to block it with spinal implants hooked to a TENS unit. I said I gave up on TENS (I have a portable unit from the dance days) for my knee. I got more relief for my bad knee with ultrasound(I have a portable unit from my dance days). I said I assume they tried ultrasound on the area. She gave me a blank look. I was surprised, but said, let me research this a bit. Turns out ultrasound is a therapy used for "phantom pain". So I said, let's give it a try on a spot and see. It is considered harmless when used properly. It took the burning away immediately. Paint me shocked. Paint her shocked. Paint her husband shocked. I told her how to use it safely and that it only worked temporarily and I let her borrow the unit. She got hours of relief and even a good night's sleep. My goodness, without pain and with a good night's sleep, she is a Chatty Cathy. I have to borrow it back at the end of each day to use on my knee at night. Sometimes the world seems like a magical place.

Today, I am grateful that my neighbor is pain free for a little while. Have a good day everyone.
DG glad you were able to help your neighbor to get some relief.. Kudoes to you.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Still dealing with a sick pup. He just does not want to eat but does still have an interest in doing things. He goes out on his own power when I tell him it is time to go potty. I need to take him in for his rabies shot next week so will ask the vet what we need to do.

Not much going on here other than daily household things. We are still having almost daily storms however the rivers are going down but still in moderate flood stage. My brother is finally able to get in and out of his house but the road is open only to local traffic.

Our state is raising the auto gas tax from .19 cent a gal to .38 cents a gal so I need to get my car gassed up this week-end. It begin on July 1st. Glad I do not have to drive that much anymore.

I have things in the washing machine and will hang them on the clotheslines in the garage. I only have two lines but could use more. I am thinking of having my contractor come in and do some repair work. The two lines that I have now he bought the clothesline rope and the screws and did it for nothing.. He is really a nice guy that does a lot of little things for his clients that are extra but no charge.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Nice cool morning. I had planned on sleeping in after the pups went out but nope

Nothing bad. Just heard the sound of a lawn mower outside and saw my cousin out there. I guess he felt sorry for us. The back part of the lawn that isn't really visible to the public is bad. But the COD still hasn't gotten the riding mower fixed. Other neighbor was going to cut it but - nothing.

So i told cousin thank you - yes take care of it. Of course i will pay him.

The yards around town are just growing and green. We normally never have this much consistent rain. Its good and bad.

So I am awake and drinking my coffee. Good thing i went to the ATM yesterday and have cash to pay him.

Have a great day