Daily check in July 4, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in July 4, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:30 am

Let's get started.

Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in July 4, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:02 am

Good morning frugal folks,

I have accepted the reduce plastic use for the month challenge. It will be more difficult with travel, but I have at least 3 weeks after that to begin to change my habits for the sake of the oceans. Habits I have changed is asking for straws. Of course, I use cloth bags for groceries instead of plastic and I reuse plastic whenever possible. There is much more to do.

Today is travel day. I pack at the last minute and this morning is the last minute. I did get some of the important things laid out. So it should be fast. This is the first trip with hubs. He hasn't traveled by plane for about 5 years. We will see how this works out.

I will be glad when this trip is over. I have been so careful about my knee and not doing things around the house as a result. I am so ready to climb up a ladder and clean out the plugged up gutter. And put a cup of vinegar in my ac drain line to stop algae growth. Also change my ac filter in the ceiling. And that is just the beginning of stuff that is taunting me.

After this trip, I will have 3 months to recover before my next trip. And dancing will not be ballroom which is way more challenging than country dances.

A note of concern though is creeping in. My military son is finishing his current tour in the Middle East and plans to visit us in August. That is great. But he has gotten a new assignment starting in December. He said to a place he has been before. At least one of those places is now a hot spot. sigh.

I emailed the lawn guy and informed him no mowing until July 10. If he is not ready to mow then, I will hunt for a new guy. Same goes for the handyman who has not responded to my calls.

Today, I am grateful that I will see my grandchildren on this trip and then dance tomorrow night and see my many dance friends. It is all good. Have a good day and good week. Happy Independence Day.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:46 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It looks to be another perfect day here on the prairies of Canada and I am going to enjoy every minute of it that I can. My list is relatively small today (lots of errands, but very little in the way of actual chores) so I hope to get the cover off my chair and enjoy the outside with a good book at some point.

I have started to empty the sewing cabinet drawers in preparation for the desk change over which should hopefully happen very soon. I will also be looking at laptop computers to put in the sewing/craft room. I am really hoping that this will give me a bit more room and enable me to have all my sewing machines out to use. Problem is though that I need to figure out what to do with a couple of fairly full bookcases, and the contents they contain. Storage has always been a problem for me. I will continue to ponder and perhaps come up with a really good solution very soon. At least I hope so.

This will be a spend day, but I hope to keep spending to a minimum, at least on groceries. Bills will be paid online (except for taxes as I like to pay those in person), and I am going to pick up tickets to the live theater production down in the park (we try and go to all the shows and while this one has played here before we were gone away and missed it). My errands will be grouped together to save on gas and time spent driving.

Continuing to use up those industrial sized bottles of cleaners, and will look for some plastic spray bottles to use when I make my own.

Meals will be made with what is on hand, though the meat freezer is getting a bit low in some areas...So low in some areas I might just start to panic a bit.

I plan on starting a stock up list as we should do a stock up really very soon. It has been over 7 months since the last one.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and sandwiches. Not too sure what kind of sandwiches, but I will be pulling some stock out of the freezer shortly. This will use up bits and bobs from the fridge freezer and one of the shelves.

Today I am grateful that the new door is installed and Hubby is almost done replacing the siding.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:27 am

Good Morning and Happy Independence Day to my fellow US citizens.

I was asked to bring deviled eggs to Mom and Dad;s cookout this evening. I need to run and get eggs. Tomorrow night there will be a fireworks display at the shopping, no pardon my, "Lifestyle" center across from me. I should be able to have a nice view from in front of the complex. I love watching fireworks. EX hated the crowds, the lateness, etc.

So I am off,
Have a great day and stay safe.
Maggie

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:32 am

Good morning and a Happy 4th of July (as happy as it can be under the circumstances). :(

Watched some of the fireworks last night. The display lasted about 20 minutes. Watching them personally is far better than trying to enjoy the TV displays.

It's going to be up around 90 today and while the humidity is on the higher side now, it is supposed to drop as the day goes on. Still, I think it's going to be a bit too warm to sit outside. Will use the fan for as long as I can and then try to turn on the ac only to cool off the bedroom before I go to bed and then turn it off and the fans back on.

Nothing exciting planned for today. My neighbors are all home and since the holiday is on a Thursday will be off tomorrow as well. I am actually glad when they are at work . . . don't know why . . . shouldn't matter one way or the other because none of them are really on the social side.

I plan to have a 4th of July supper. I have my hot dog, bun, baked beans and an ear of corn.

Looked at the grocery ads yesterday; one of the stores has a pretty good sale on next week; better than I've seen in a while and many on things that I use. I do plan on taking advantage of it.

Well, going to go for now. Have a super day!

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:52 am

Happy Fourth of July to all my American friends. Enjoy your day.